1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varangians have Duo!

Discussion in 'O-12' started by Duront, May 28, 2021.

1. Duront

Duront Well-Known Member

They have duo on chart and profile now! So one can go with shona and give smoke and CC bonuses!

What are some other cool combos?

CoveredInFish, InMac and Tourniquet like this.
  2. InMac

InMac O-12 #Bureau Aegis

That's cool duo with shona. The other one are varangian + tian gou KHD or combi-jammer as a bronze masked.

LucaGirolami likes this.
  3. miguelbarbo84

miguelbarbo84 Well-Known Member

I'd mask a TG as a second Shona or a second Parvati

4. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

If you're going to try that better off masking as something else as the bronze can't link with the vguard.

InMac likes this.
  5. InMac

InMac O-12 #Bureau Aegis

Yup, im gonna try it. I can link the Tian Gou, the problem is for the opponent if he thinks is a real Bronze or not, or if the duo are legal or not. Not all players knows the dispposition of all the fireteams in the game can be able. It's the same situation when you can prettend mask a troop if he aren't impetuous, you just need to pay attention with this dirty "legal" tricks, i think, its a part of the mind gamble games :)

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit on the shadier side of "legal" if you don't inform your opponent about important open information like that as you deploy it, no?

7. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Agreed - like when you drop 6 chaksa in Spiral, good form dictates you mention the AVA is 4

Tourniquet likes this.
  8. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Courtesy lists exists for a reason :S

9. Mahtamori

That's a bit like saying that you can't be bothered sharing open information at all, just have your opponent look it up for themselves.

As with regards to the issue at hand, particularly fireteams are very difficult to track for any faction you play, let alone factions your opponent plays. Going over what and who can join them is probably the most important piece of information that your opponent needs. Particularly since fireteams are notoriously prone to typos in Army and not printed on the courtesy list.

10. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Should I list, then, the whole profile for all the units in my courtesy list?

My deployment routine is to give the list to my opponent and place the models on the table, while he looks the list, then I point to each troop to specify name, weapon, and group. Then I look his while he deploys his models, he points to each troop specifying name, weapon and group, and we place the last troop, give the same data for those, and go for first turn. One can certainly asks "you have six chacksas in the list, yet the AVA is 3/4, why?", and Private Information allows me to simply say "the list is legal and valid".

I think, in a tournament, explain that I have holomasked troops as chacksas is condescending, and insulting to my opponent, and detrimental to the existence of such mechanics. It's not like Montgomery send a letter to Rommel stating how much tanks he had and the excess where props to confuse him...

Robock likes this.
  11. Mahtamori

Hogwash! You don't have to pretend you forgot your intelligence in your other trousers. If a piece of open information is relevant enough that you feel you can gain an advantage by not pointing it out, which you have proven here you do and can, then you should point it out as part if your open information.
    There's a lot of information to share and you're going to have to make judgement calls on what's most relevant - that is to say the stuff that you can exploit the most by omitting.

Montgomery and Rommels didn't have an amicable boardgame session together with rules demanding of them to play fair (beyond the St Petersburg conventions)

12. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

I never saw AVA on the army list, someone should log that bug. As AVA is Open Info, it should be on the printed army list so that I can know and reveal that info. Especially for players using new armies/sectorial, we might not know all the AVA. Heck, i just started N4 QK, and sent a list to the TO with 2 Mobile Brigada, not realizing they were AVA1.

LaughinGod likes this.
  13. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

But excess AVA is checked by the Army Builder, making the list illegal (and you can see by the tick in the up/right corner, plus you cannot submit to the OTM if it is illegal).

Although I agree AVA could be noted on the list, TBH, all you need is the validation mark on the courtesy list to know that all AVAs have been accounted for.

14. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Yes, which was Xagroth point, that you can simply place 6 chaksa and point the validation mark that proves "the list is legal and valid".
    But somehow he's wrong to do so and he was countered that AVA is "Open Info" that he's purposefully not disclosing it.

I didn't think it was Open Info, but if it is then that Info should be on the army list so that us who are experimenting a new sectorial (especially in NA2) can give correct answers if asked without needing to pull up the info off-line (cement basement gaming room cuts off our cellphone signals where I play).

15. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to be purposefully revealing your hand in regards to holomasked troops. Just like you don't have to say that some of your camo markers are mines. Your opponent should be able to infer these things, guess, or have the truth obfuscated because that is the fun of the game.

I love showing 10 "entities" in group 1 and 5 in group 2 and then springing van zant, for example. I can say there were 15 or more things on the table because that is part of the tactical shell game with camo / hd / holomask.

anyway none of this is about varangian guards with duo.

16. LucaGirolami

LucaGirolami Well-Known Member

After five test matches I kinda agree with that.
    Best results are usually a plain VG duo, TG KHD or TG jammer. TGs are usually holomasking as another VG or Shona. I don’t like to mess with improbable companions: it can give away the plan.
    Duo with Shona didn’t shine, it need more testing.
    Anyway, while pairing a VG with someone else, I let the other one VG wander around by himself.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation