1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Scots Guards?

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by Stampysaur, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Stampysaur

Stampysaur Wallace is my LT

Specifically in Caledonia, but would be interested in hearing about vanilla use cases as well.

I've always loved the models but I rarely get to use them. I have been trying it out a bit lately though and find the point cost is a bit too high for what I get. Anyone ever try the core?

frequently I see myself looking at the camo SMG panzer profile but in the few games I have played it tends to trade down a little bit, especially with the proliferation of templates.

2. mightymuffin

mightymuffin Well-Known Member

Used them quite a bit in CHA under N3, both as solo camo pieces and as a core fireteam.

Their camo load-outs are very handy, mainly the twin-SMGs and Molotok ones, with the ML as a bit of a "surprise", especially if your opponent is expecting a Cateran.

As a core fireteam, I tend to go for 3 MLs, plus Marksman Rifle and twin-SMGs, and use them for ARO duty and area denial; especially if I'm facing TAGs, (who really don't like that many missiles!) However, that linked twin-SMG is an effective active turn shooter as well, and can destroy any attackers who make it to my deployment zone. Being FOs is also a nice benefit.

Haven't played any N4 games yet, but their speed increase, and gaining Mimetism on all profiles must surely make them even more effective.

3. Stampysaur

on N3 I could use them similarly.

Unfortunately in n4 they also got a cost increase with all that. And I feel the proliferation templates has really decreased the effectiveness of an SMG. It will still kill something, but it also dies in return.

4. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

not since N4. In N3 mostly 50% of my lists had a Scots fireteam

5. D_acolyte

D_acolyte Well-Known Member

Sometimes in vanilla or kosmofloat as a camo missile launcher as an aro model or as a camo ap spitfire to go out and hunt other models not in a link.

6. fari

Camoed molotok was a nice attack piece when they infiltrate. Unfortunately, that time was left behind

7. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

They're fairly solid for zone scoring missions, especially now they've got faster. The relative expense helps them score zones and their armaments are solid too

Stampysaur and mightymuffin like this.
  8. Stampysaur

That is a good point I hadn’t thought of.

9. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

I have a bit of experience with them. They are the kind of unit you play because you like the feel of them and the look, not because you are trying to win tournaments.

The core link + isobel was pretty fun and its good enough to get the job done, but not good enough to excel in any meaningful way.

10. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

I see a substantial value in the 2nd battalion Missile launcher, especially in the new armor heavy meta. Careful deployment will have your opponent second guessing if it’s a cateran sniper or a SG missile they are about to eat.

mightymuffin likes this.
  11. Hansolo

Hansolo Well-Known Member

In N3 times I loved to play Wallace + Scot ML + Scot Molotok + 2xScot FO (either SMG or/and Marksman Rifle). Durable, decent armor, can deliver a punch. Great alternative to usual "let's head on and kick everyone in the head" Caledonia gameplay.

In N4 I've only used them in Haris with Unknown Ranger. Still, same advantages, plus bonus mimetism and faster movement. I like them.

12. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

I could see that being an excellent Haris in Kosmoflot. Which two SG do you take with the UR?

13. Hansolo

Hansolo Well-Known Member

Depends on how many points I have to spare and what UR loadout I'm taking, but either SMG FO+AP Spitfire or SMG FO + Marksman Rifle FO.

McKaptain likes this.
  14. deltakilo

deltakilo Bear of Butcher bay
    Warcor

I used the Camo missile launcher in N3 very frequently to good success. Not sure of its value now, but people tended to assume Cateran so disrespect the threat of blasts which you can take advantage of.

mightymuffin and RobertShepherd like this.
  15. fari

Now that armored units are more common in the tables, Cateran strugles to wound, so ML is a good option, but too expensive...

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation