1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does China like Yu Jing?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Knauf, Jun 8, 2021.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I think without been sure, that Yu Jing pass them as criminals that have done equivalent crimes to be sentenced to death sentence, probably finding something as crime other than political decent, again I do not remember correctly so somebody who can dig up the sourcebooks can happily correct me but O-12 does not intervene in the internal legal system of each superpower.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

That’s it in a nutshell. If there are any records, it’s typically that those who are conditioned to be Kaung Shi are reported as deceased, at least to the public. And considering those charged with managing them in action are all fanatically loyal to the Emperor, no worries there. Any foreign intelligence agencies with “proof” of the reality would likely never release it, since without exception they have their own atrocities to hide and also since hardly anyone in Yu Jing would believe “foreign lies”.

chromedog and Cthulhu363 like this.
  3. ZlaKhon

ZlaKhon New scale enthusiast

Thank you for conducting this research! Knowing this might come in really handy in case I ever get offered an ex-pat position („No way! I am not going back to playing 40k“)

Tristan228 likes this.
  4. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, the old unit blurb mentioned repeat offenders (not only political) were the ones who got disappeared to become Kuang Shi, but also mentioned how the common soldiers were profoundly uncomfortable around them and would sometimes cheer when the detonation device went off. In other words, their existence aren't necessarily a secret when Zhanshi know about them
    It's also well to remember the other "terminal" punishment of Wu Ming, for the violently competent people who don't commit serious enough crimes to be actively killed and that Hulang, while not recruited as a punishment, are still more violent than what's tolerated by society.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  5. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I have the book right here
    "-Kuang Shi are quite similar, political or reoffending prisoners who disappear from the jails of the Celestial Guard". Specifically saying political and reoffending could be that you got caught doing minor offences more than once. It doesn't say murder specifically.

Also, if you are PanO do you believe that? What if they did it to your friend that was captured? He killed Yu Jing soldiers after all. You saw one of these crazies run into a group of civilians and explode. Is that okay? Game mechanics doesn't allow that but it would happen. What if it's your family member that "disappears" from the prison you've been visiting them in every week?

BTW can you imagine them being used against Starmada and O-12 doing nothing?

I understand it's a game and stretches reality. This is way beyond reality. I also don't play them.

Anyhow, I can't see the background, as is, going over very well right now. Mainland maybe? Taiwan and Hong Kong not so much.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  6. psychoticstorm

I am sure PanO citizens are predispositioned to be at best skeptical towards Yu Jing, not sure if Yu Jing would extend the Kuang Shi program towards war captives.

7. A Mão Esquerda

As it currently reads, it doesn't seem like they do, since it discusses the prisoners disappearing from the Celestial Guard's jails, not necessarily military prisons. Plus, the account of Angus' capture and interrogation in the Dire Foes material seems to indicate military prisoners are held by the military, and if of high value, by the Eyes.

Cthulhu363 likes this.
  8. Space Ranger

But if you are not them, how do you know? Yu Jing says they are criminal offenders but is that itself ok? Even the Celestial Guard Monitor probably doesn't know what they did. they just send them off to explode next to something not Yu Jing.

But as far as the topic goes, if this game shows up in country, and has the fictional representation of your country doing something like that, would you be ok with it? Maybe. But who knows? The story is filled with questionable things. Nomads alone are pretty scary but they are even more fantastical. They are not tied to a specific current day society as much. USAriandna is note quite committing genocide on the natives "people" of Dawn. I'll never understand why a faction started by and mainly made up by Muslims and Hindus, let the Christian church form an army and being charge of peoples Cubes.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  9. psychoticstorm

Probably massive established wealth, lobbying and political maneuvering along with some indifference from the other religious institutions until it was too late.

PanO is not a good place, nor a good nation.

10. A Mão Esquerda

Which can be argued is one of the good things about the background. No one is a spotless "good guy", everyone has done good and bad, made compromises, so it's nicely reflective of reality without being too far out there.

Dragonstriker, nazroth and Cthulhu363 like this.
  11. psychoticstorm

Oh yes nobody is the "good guy", everybody has its shades of grey, likewise nobody is the clear "bad guy" and everybody has its own merits, even CA do have some good points.

12. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

And this is one of the reasons i really like the fluff for Infinity. It's much more realistic to have shades of grey than mustache twirling villains and Dudley Do-right heroes.

ETEA, Knauf and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  13. Space Ranger

China has a lot of pride in it's martial arts and I don't think that was/is represented well. They had the JSA have the most CC guys and the Chinese part only had Shaolin. Then they took away the JSA. They've only recently added some characters and the Hulang as "good" CC but they really are not that good in comparison to other factions. BTW I don't count Aida, Ninjas, Hawkwood, Taowu, or Liang because they are not limited to Yu Jing. Crane are ok but then they for some reason decided they were not worthy of getting a 6-2 move like all the rest of HI. I've had a lot more fun with McMurder in my Dashat than any CC guy in YJ sadly.

Edit: I take some back. I had fun with my Guijia last week killing a Montessa knight in CC. Sadly it left me in the open to be taken down by a Sepulchure AP HMG. And I forgot to coup de grace the Montessa and he came back later. But it was fun!

#33 Space Ranger, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Dragonstriker and YueFei23 like this.
  14. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

A while ago I had similar questions about perception of Infinity/Yu Jing in China and did some hunting around online for discussions in Chinese language.

In a thread on Baidu a user provides translations of a lot of background, including the unit background of Kuang shi. Most of the thread is the OP's translation, but there are replies, none of them outrage at the Kuang Shi.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5472654860?pn=1

A while ago, I can't remember where, I read some Chinese users discussing in Chinese the likelihood and effectiveness of the Yu Jing system of government. Unlikely, uncharacteristic and interesting. The person introducing Yu Jing in that discussion derided the name without explanation "Jade Empire (Yeah I know) is..."

There is a Chinese language wiki with translations from the infinity source material, like Kuang Shi and Adil, hosted in Shanghai China. Whoever is maintaining it is committed, as they even have the new Shaolin dossier in HD from about 2 months ago. The location of the user is unknown.

https://infinity.huijiwiki.com/wiki/僵尸

You can see for yourself by pasting :"玉京" and "INFINITY" in your favourite search engine. Chinese to English translation software has become quite reliable.

15. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

That's what I'm talking about, thanks!

the huanglong likes this.
  16. Space Ranger

Ha I love some of the names of troops. "meteor suddenly drop infantry", "strong high captain, no-enemy officer".

the huanglong likes this.
  17. the huanglong

Dragonstriker and Space Ranger like this.
  18. psychoticstorm

:joy: these are the nice stuff, got more to share?

Dragonstriker likes this.
  19. the huanglong

Looks like they managed to get the Tiangou design ahead of us somehow.

upload_2021-6-10_13-59-4.png

20. YueFei23

YueFei23 Durian Inspector

That's really interesting - maybe Infinity has crept into China a little more than it had a couple of years ago when I last visited. I think for Sci Fi and miniature wargaming fans eager enough to hunt down products from other countries, Infinity has so much to offer in terms of great gameplay and amazing miniatures that they will most likely love it. The fact that Infinity has a faction that represents China and Asia in the game is probably going to be a pretty big draw for a lot of people, compared to a lot of competing western games. The Invincible Army, huge Tags and Shaolin monks are going to be just as cool for Chinese players as they are for us. If CB were really going for the Chinese market they may want to go through a unit renaming & fluff rebranding exercise to make sure everything sounded cool, but the minis are already looking great.

The OP did specifically ask how Infinity might be interpreted "by Chinese people and those who represent the government". That's where things will get much harder to predict, in my mind. China is a very nationalistic and proud country, and those who represent the government do not see themselves the way they are depicted in Western news media. A lot of Chinese people have solidarity with their home team and believe that Western governments and media routinely lie to make China look bad, and also that the CIA and western government agencies actively conspire against China. Sometimes this is true, because they do, and sometimes it bubbles over into paranoia. Chinese news outlets definitely go out of their way to pick up stories where Western countries and companies appear biased against China, as this can play to nationalism and creates narratives to distract from anger against the government at home. Periodically Western companies like Apple can get boycotted, and it's in this context that some of the background of the ISS and Kuang Shi units *could* become a problem if Infinity built up a significant Chinese player base. Those areas depict the more authoritarian side of Yu Jing and have the potential to cause offence or be perceived as a Western company trying to say something about contemporary China.

There is also quite a bit of representation of Uyghurs in the fluff, which is a bold choice. It's pretty clear that the CCCP's position on Xinjiang is different from the US State Depts, so without putting myself in the middle of that let's just say it has the potential to ruffle some feathers. This stuff is just hard to predict - Disney isn't brave enough to set any movies in Xinjiang right now, but may still manage to get The Eternals banned because of a spat Chloe Zhao has with the CCCP!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation