1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does China like Yu Jing?

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Knauf, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

This is directed at our fellow Chinese players or those that are intimately familiar with Chinese culture and the state in particular.

How would something like the fluff of Yu Jing be seen by Chinese people and those who represent the government? Are extrapolations of Chinas future tolerated or deemed unpatriotic? The unification of large parts of Asia under one banner seem to fit with the imperialistic tendencies that are still present today, but Infinity has a good bit of nuance attached to that.

For example: Would a name change be realistic for the same reasons mentioned in the lore or is it an intrinsic part of Chinese national identity for it ever to be considered as a tool for unification?

#1 Knauf, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Lareon likes this.
  2. YueFei23

YueFei23 Durian Inspector

I'm not Chinese, but have family there and have travelled there several times.

My guess is that the existence of Kuang Shi would be seen as a pretty huge problem, probably enough to be a PR disaster and get the game banned if it ever got on the radar in China. Currently, I don't believe wargaming is a big enough pastime in China for there to be any scrutiny of unit backgrounds in games that nobody plays. It's also possible they'd be so busy laughing at the unit names of the "Fire Chicken" agent that they wouldn't take the whole thing too seriously.

Out of curiosity I had a look for retail outlets selling Infinity (or even 40k) last time I was in Beijing and couldn't find anything despite a good trawl through the geekiest foreign culture / otaku obsessed mall, which had a whole floor dedicated to manga and anime statues. I think there are small gaming clubs of American and European ex-pats in Beijing and maybe Shanghai that play 40k, but I didn't stumble on any groups of Infinity players yet. They must mail order all their stuff or buy it when they travel.

Hecaton, ZlaKhon, fuzzyguy and 5 others like this.
  3. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I have a friend that's from Taiwan who used to play Aleph. He thought the names of units were pretty bad. I guess like Yaokong makes no sense. I can't remember what he said about the Kuang Shi exactly but it was not favorable and a bit laughable. Also like me, he thought the Chinese troops should have had troops just as good at CC as the JSA troops. Though he thought it had a lot of stereotypes CC was the one we both thought was good.

#3 Space Ranger, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Dragonstriker likes this.
  4. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

@YueFei23

Asking because I’m curious.
    Why would Kuang Shi be a PR disaster?

5. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Not sure if trolling.
    Probably a bit too political of a question to be discussed earnestly on the forums.

/edit: removed the political anekdote.

#5 Teslarod, Jun 10, 2021
  6. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

I'm pretty sure.

fuzzyguy and jamesy52 like this.
  7. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Discussion of contemporary politics is strongly not advised in this forum, if you really want to do so do it in PMs.

I am also reliably informed that psychic precognition of others thoughts otherwise known as mind reading is not real and people should refrain from attempting it.

8. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

[​IMG]

I asked because I thought maybe there was something culturally sacred about Kuang Shi's in chinese culture, because I legit don't know what they actually are supposed to be in chinese culture, so maybe having them as suicide bombers for unwanted members of society would be a PR disaster.

#8 Zewrath, Jun 10, 2021
  9. psychoticstorm

This debate ends here, as I said contemporary politics is strongly (with emphasis) not advised.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  10. psychoticstorm

Relevant forum members have been notified and given tome to edit their posts.

11. jamesy52

jamesy52 Active Member

It's nice to know there's a line somewhere: an earnest discussion about a faction's representation is not okay, but rape jokes are fine. That's good to know...

12. Space Ranger

I knew this was going to come up but how are supposed to talk a game story that's based on contemporary politics? It's an integral part of the background. I really like Yu Jing but it was made to be a stereo type of the currently society in mainly China. The whole Uprising is politics!

Though I don't think the memes are helping.

How do you explain to your own people, O-12, and other factions you need to work with, that you are capturing people you disagree with, then sending them out with their minds scrambled and a bomb strapped to them. Then all these warcors have evidence of it happening? O-12 would just say sorry you are no longer getting to trade on the circulars. Good bye! Other factions companies no longer buying Yu Jing products or working with the effort to push back the Combined in Yu Jing areas. Afraid you will do the same to any prisoners that are foreign nationals. If you can't see this as something as a bad reputation for a society I don't know what else to tell you.

Hecaton, fuzzyguy and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  13. psychoticstorm

No I just decided to stop been "lax" in moderation, onwards.

14. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

And you do it by trying to silence the people speaking against racism and rape jokes under the guise of their posts being "political".

I refuse to edit my post, you will have to use your censorship edit yourself.

15. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

Most likely they'd just slap a tariff on their products, regardless of their necessity to modern culture, then you end up paying 1500 for a used 1080...

16. psychoticstorm

It has been discussed a lot in the past, unfortunately in game politics has been used extensively over the years to covertly or openly make discussions about the game lore a battlefield for contemporary politics and many users have complained about this, this is an international forum and not all people see eye to eye in many things, given this is a forum about toy soldiers and not a political forum, it is better for such political discussion to be avoided, there is a plethora of forums and reddits dedicated for this discussion, I would love to see cultural discussion though.

Discussing the in universe politics is allowed as long as it is not a covered attempt to discuss contemporary politics, remember Infinity is more than 100 years in the future and present day politics would hardly apply in universe anyway.

17. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

@psychoticstorm:
    Please be assured that this is not a veiled attempt at sparking a political discussion. I was really just interested at the way China is treating Infinity and Sci-Fi in a broader sense. I was also hoping for Chinese members to drive that discussion, but alas it has been hijacked by the usual candidates. I appreciate your commitment to stronger moderation, please follow through by stopping bad actors from the get-go.

Kuang-Shi have been discussed several times, let's not beat a dead horse.

18. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

My memory might be fading on this but I was always under the impression that the Kuang Shi's were basically non-existant to the public and denied by everyone involved.

19. Space Ranger

O-12 has a lot more power than that and even if they cut circulars by a little bit, Yu Jing would stop doing something.

Unfortunately currently politics was used to create the background. It's setting also very international. Which I love BTW. It's nice to have a game where everyone is NOT a single race or culture through the whole galaxy.

Infinity is written by many unreliable narrators. Some of the background can be purely made up by the "author" of that segment of story. Also, tell me how you keep something like crazy human bombs secret? Enemy troops see it and kill them or survive and encounter with them. Unexploded bodies found and engineers need to unarm it. Not to mention the warcors all over the place recording the events. Sure they could get away with if it was like a one-off event but they have them as actual troops that do it on a regular basis.

20. psychoticstorm

@Knauf I understand the context of the original post and I applaud people wanting to learn about other cultures and bridge the gaps different cultures have.

Asking how people from China see Yu Jing is fine and can lead to an interesting cultural discussion without the need to become political.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation