1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know.... plastic infinity

Discussion in 'News' started by Shyvax, Apr 5, 2021.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am afraid CB's preferred alloy for casting is more metallic and less ginger, probably for the best.

2. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

I hope CB will keep using metal I drop my playing minis far too often and resin and plastic minis tend to break bad (sorry Aquaman & batgirl) :D
    maybe I would like plastic minis if CB decides to make huge tanks like baneblades at some point

3. Wiredin

Wiredin Member

maybe it's because I started with Battletech and Heavy Gear for painting/assembling min's back when I was a kid... but the metal was a huge reason I came to Infinity and why I left Legion.

4. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

I dislike metal and it was one of the reasons I took about one extra year to start infinity (the other being I used to, and still think, the models all look a bit samey).

However, I understand why CB prefers to stay in metal, I for one would actually enjoy it if they made the change to plastic.

I do understand it would be an undertaking that is just not financially viable to them.

ETEA, xagroth and LaughinGod like this.
  5. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

As a ginger, can confirm.

6. libr4rian

libr4rian Member

Metal makes it easier to play in such systems like Infinity with lots of buildings. I'm playing for years in another skirmish system with lots of buildings, where most of the minis are plastic and metal ones work better on catwalks and more flimsy buildings. Plastics are so light that like to fell off when you touch the table or terrein piece.
    At first I liked plastics more, due to easier conversions, but then for actually playing the game metals win.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting an old coin under the base of your plastic miniatures? Helps a tonne with both balance and heftiness. It's a bit more difficult with metal miniatures (*glares at Tiger Soldiers*)

LaughinGod, Rizzy and libr4rian like this.
  8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Also washers & nuts, lead pellets, tiny ball bearings. Model shops carry "liquid gravity" (cute name, probably just ball bearings... I doubt it is tungsten). Ages ago I even saw something like base fillers, with the space for the slot and all, maybe still avaliable.

chromedog, Mahtamori and libr4rian like this.
  9. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I used to do this with my old RT/2nd ed non-slotta based models. An Oz 2c ('bronze coin') piece fit under the base perfectly. A small glob of a 5min araldite held it in place but still allowed it to be removed should that be necessary).

After I moved to majority metals with either solid resin bases or slot bases, it stopped being a thing. That said, small lead shot (fishing weights - gun related materials are much harder to get here) held in place with the same kind of quick epoxy also did the job on the slottabases.

10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

A US 5¢ coin (“nickel”) is also a pretty good and cheap way to weight models.

11. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Not exactly practical with CB's bases (LOF ones) or the more usual GW style slotta bases though. Those damn slots get in the way.
    With a solid resin base, not as big an issue. I can always put a milling bit into my drill-press and remove sufficient material to embed a coin (or if I'm casting my own, embed a washer into it).

Errhile and Dragonstriker like this.
  12. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Now, can we please not get the thread closed?

(yeah, I know we still have an official one...)

RolandTHTG likes this.
  13. psychoticstorm

Thread cleaned.

toadchild and bladerunner_35 like this.
  14. Muad'dib

Muad'dib Well-Known Member

I really wish bases came standard with an embedded washer or embedded magnets...

Mahtamori likes this.
  15. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

How can I be both relieved and disappointed that CB won't cast figures in ginger? :disappointed_relieved:

16. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

And pay miniature company overhead... no, thanks.

Pierzasty, Barrogh and chromedog like this.
  17. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

There's a magnet socket on them ready to go.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  18. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Which I've seen differing advice on with regards to what size magnet to use. The correct size appears to be 5mm x 1.5mm, but given that none of the packaging or webstore pages actually tell you what size to use—which they absolutely should—I followed bad advice early on and used 5mm x 2mm magnets for a bunch of bases...which are now in my queue of things to carefully fix or just re-base outright.

Except that some of the bases fit 2mm thick magnets just perfectly. So...wtf.

Errhile and Pierzasty like this.
  19. psychoticstorm

From LoS bases onward there should be a standardization and no variance.

chromedog likes this.
  20. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Cool! What's the correct size and where is that documented for players who are trying to figure out what magnets to order?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation