1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face to face rolls and tied results

Discussion in 'Rules' started by KwarkyMats, May 10, 2021.

1. KwarkyMats

KwarkyMats Well-Known Member

I have a question about face to face rolls, specifically tied results.
    For example, on my turn one of my troops attacks an opponent, the opponent fires back. We get the following results:
    Me: 12, 9, 4, 1
    Opponent: 9

None of the rolls are misses or critical hits, they are all successes.
    Would this mean I get two hits on my opponent, or only one?

In my local meta, we always played with the rule that equal dice results cancel each other out, but one of the players pointed at the wiki, specifically the Breaking Ties part here: https://infinitythewiki.com/Rolls#Face_to_Face_Rolls
    It mentions the following:

When comparing, successes cancel enemy successes with a lower result—even if they are canceled, in turn, by higher enemy successes.

Breaking Ties

Face to Face Rolls can result in a tie. In the event of a tie (Criticals or not), both rolls cancel each other, no effects are applied and the Order is spent.

If I interpret that RAW, it means only the results are checked whether I beat my opponent's roll. In this case the 12 vs the 9.
    Since their 9 isn't higher than my 9, my 9 isn't cancelled.

Is this correct? If so, I've played this wrong since well, forever. I always assumed equals cancelled each other out at any point during the roll, not just at the result.

2. Ruaridh

Ruaridh Well-Known Member

Equals cancel. You were playing it correct

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

3. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

@HellLois @ijw
    upload_2021-5-10_16-0-37.png

Is it intentional that successes do not cancel enemy successes with an equal result in N4?

Breaking ties only talks about tied Face to face Rolls.
    That means effectively:
    A: 12, 9, 5, 3 vs B: 9 - no Crits
    A's 12 cancels B's 9
    B's 9 cancels A's 5 and 3.

RAW B's 9 does not cancel A's 9 since the FTF is not a tie (A wins with a 12) so B takes 2 hits from the 12 and 9.
    If A rolled a 1 instead of the 12 both rolls would cancel each other out fully due to the Breaking Ties rule.

Checked the Spanish version too, same thing.
    The relevant part appears to be missing the "or equal" from N3 to clear that up.

"When comparing, successes cancel enemy successes with a lower or equal result—even if they are canceled, in turn, by higher enemy successes.

Error or intentional? The scenario of a tie is also not listed in the possible outcomes.
    upload_2021-5-10_16-8-42.png

DukeofEarl likes this.
  4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

The "step by step" should be this

1. Remove EVERY failed roll
    2. Criticals? Only for a player, he win. For both players, roll is cancelled
    3. Start with the LOWEST result.
      1. Is there any opponent result higher or equal? yes => remove it (both in case of tue). No => skip to 4
      2. Repeat for every dice
    4. You now have all of the successes for only one player

chromedog and Mogra like this.
  5. KwarkyMats

KwarkyMats Well-Known Member

I just checked my N3 rulebook and the old wiki and I couldn't find a reference to this. They both mention the same as the N4 rules. Is it possible it was written in one of the FAQ's?

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Luckily, there's a rules technical explanation: You're only looking at the basic rules, which don't really discuss how rolls with a burst value work. Remember that the rules are built to guide a new player reading front to back, it's not meant to be read as a reference book where exhaustive rules for an action is written in a single section.

Look at the combat module. Each burst is its own roll. So if you have a unit assign 3 burst to an enemy and that one responds with 1 roll, you make 3 Face to Face rolls, not one roll using 3 dice.

Face to Face Roll
    If the Skill declared by the target does affect the outcome of the Attack (for example declaring a BS Attack), then a Face to Face Roll is made (see Rolls).

Both players make one Roll for each point of Burst they assigned to that target.​

7. Kwisatz Haderach

Kwisatz Haderach Zelenograd Shasvastii
    Warcor

Sadly, has to disagree with that.
    FtF example #3 clearly states, that by deviding burst you create several FtF rolls, depending on number of targets.

Still wanna see some oficial answer on that, before staring smth.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation