1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impetuous movement when close to enemy DZ

Discussion in 'Rules' started by QueensGambit, May 2, 2021.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

My Montesa Knight is an impetuous unit with MOV 8-4. He is 4" outside the enemy DZ when I activate his impetuous order and declare Move. What does he do?

The FAQ says "Go towards the enemy Deployment Zone. The Trooper must end his movement as far as possible from the movement's starting point, and as close as possible to the enemy Deployment Zone," and also "How should an Impetuous Trooper move when it has already reached the enemy's Deployment Zone? It can move normally inside the enemy Deployment Zone."

So, if I move straight forward 4" and reach the DZ, can I now move an additional 4" in any direction inside the DZ? Can I move less than 4"? (I think so, since now that I can move normally, I can just circle if I need to burn my full movement value)

Also, do I have the option of moving diagonally instead? i.e. can I go a full 8" diagonally in order to hit the enemy DZ in a position to the side of where I started, since I've still ended as close as possible (0") from the enemy DZ? Or would that violate the requirement to "go towards the enemy DZ"?

Alternatively, do I have to go diagonally, since otherwise I'd reach the enemy DZ without using my full movement value which I'm required to do?

2. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

IMO you can use all 8" in this case, diagonally or not, provided that you reach the enemy DZ at any point and that you use all the 8".

upload_2021-5-2_14-40-20.png

3. QueensGambit

That makes sense to me, and thanks for making the diagram I was too lazy to make :-)

I doubt a definitive answer is possible, but I'm curious whether this will be the consensus, or if there are arguments for a different interpretation. It came up in a game a few days ago and we had no idea how to play it; at least this thread will give us a reference even if it isn't definitive.

4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The only argument I'd see with Nuada's answer is must you end within or entirely within the enemy DZ.

I'd go with "within" because that's as close as possible. Entirely within isn't actually any closer.

5. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

It seems to me that if you have a FAQ like this one:
    Q: During the Impetuous Phase, How should an Impetuous Trooper move when it has already reached the enemy's Deployment Zone?

A: It can move normally inside the enemy Deployment Zone.
    you really have to take this passage:
    • Troopers may only move a shorter distance if they reach Silhouette contact with an Enemy or a Special Terrainarea hinders their Movement or forces them to declare Jump or Climb.
    as
    • Troopers may only move a shorter distance if they reach Silhouette contact with an Enemy, reach the enemy deployment zone, or a Special Terrainarea hinders their Movement or forces them to declare Jump or Climb.

6. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Yeah, as soon as you touch the EDZ, you can't get closer to it.

7. QueensGambit

Hmm. That's a good point, and raises the question: can the FAQ condition of having "reached the enemy DZ" be triggered mid-move, or do you only check it when you declare the Move? That was the basis of our uncertainty when it came up in-game.

If the latter, then the normal rules for Impetuous apply to the whole Move, so you would have to end your movement as close as possible to the DZ (i.e. any position touching or inside it), and also as far as possible from your starting position. Assuming no intervening scenery, that would basically mean you have to move your full 8" in a straight line (to get as far as possible from starting position), but could choose any angle of straight line as long as it reached the DZ.

If the former, then if you hit the DZ after moving 6", then the FAQ kicks in and lets you move however you like for the last 2" (which could include stopping without using those last 2"). The requirement to "end as far as possible from starting position" would be cancelled as soon as you hit the DZ.

I think you're right, the second option makes more sense. So you can choose any forward-going movement path as long as it reaches the DZ. As soon as the path reaches the DZ, any remaining movement can be used or not used as you like (except that you can't use it to leave the DZ again).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation