1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxed out mimetism

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by wuji, Apr 28, 2021.

1. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I think mimetism is overused in the game. Some factions it makes sense but others it just seems like a crutch, CBs way of making anything better. But how can we better expand on how things are done. I'm just gonna list a few different ways to win firefights and get troops closer but any fresh ideas that CB could adopt are welcome too.

• Forcing hard AROs with
      • More coordinated troops that CB changes to be kitted and synergized for COs instead of relying on mimetism.
      • More synched troops to fire at the same time.
      • Change fireteam to function like coordinated orders.
    • More Burst mods.
    • Create a skill that allows firefights to become normal rolls.
    • Create a skill that allows shooting and dodging at the same time.

2. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The game doesn't need more power in the active turn.

Barrogh, SaladSnek, csjarrat and 10 others like this.
  3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Awful ideas.

The game that is focused on the reactive player being relevant doesn't need making said player irrelevant.

4. Domino25

Domino25 Well-Known Member

If I'm getting the original poster's point correctly, it's not that the active player needs more power, it's that mimetism is overused as a method for making powerful shooters. So take it as a given that CB wants make a profile a strong shooter, how can they do it without always defaulting to "give it mimetism -6". Things like coordinated orders and synched profiles favor active, but mimetism, marksmanship, and normal rolls help reactive (but maybe not equally?). The question would be what "interesting" ways can you change shootouts.
    I'd caution against combinations of mod/counter like mimetism/msv that just creates a separate gear check for lists.

wuji likes this.
  5. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

The problem lies with mimetism. Its a bland forcefield with no finesse required. If you want to always win every F2F ever the answer should be the biggest gun with the most powered armor carrying it, but instead its the sneakiest guy.

Personally I'd prefer if mimetism was a conditional skill. For example, you impose the -3 if you are in cover from the opponent. Or you impose the -3 if you are beyond a certain distance. Make people work for it, even just a little. Makes the skill more interesting and leads to less invincible combat shrubbery kicking your teeth in in the open or being impossible to hit from 2" away.

Daniel Darko, Rejnhard and LaughinGod like this.
  6. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Yep this, thank you, it's not that I'm trying to make the reactive turn more "irrelevant", just not make the game so repetitive and thus less interesting.
    As for a reactive skill, well here's some ideas and I'm sure people will cry that they are bad ideas but some will try to be productive and add their own ideas or modify any of these. And that's what we need.

• Sync skill that allows troops to ARO from the controllers location.
    • Skill or coordinated order ability that is activated like suppression fire but as the above suggestion, allows multiple units to shoot from the same location as the leader or spearhead without actually having to be in that location to benefit from the cover bonus.
    • Change suppression fire to allow full burst.
    • Also a dodging and shooting at the same time skill could be done in reactive or active.

7. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Removes the benefit to TO type troops like ninjas or camo units like Antipodes that are like camillions, I'm curious how mim -6 antipodes would play if they paid for it.

8. Kreslack

Kreslack Unknown Ranger lead the way!

They wouldn't be as afraid of making a head on charge against more units. Ultimately you just save an order or two using them. And they would be more dodgy reactively.

I do think marksmanship should have been more common as an alternative to mimetism. But unfortunately marksmanship can have a horrific effect when it gets into link teams.

I would like to see Marksmanship LX come back. I think it was a flavorful skill that was too uncommon.

#8 Kreslack, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    dhellfox, wuji and Tourniquet like this.
  9. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

This is wrong in so many ways that it was present and TOTALLY REMOVED from the game.

meikyoushisui and RobertShepherd like this.
  10. Kreslack

I couldn't imagine the nightmare of a unit you'd have if you gave that skill to something with access to a symbiomate.

11. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Why would you want Guided ammo in reactive turn too?

Same as above.
    So make Neurocinetics irrelevant?
    Why would you want to even touch the fundamental parts of the game, one short skill.

12. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

It is called direct template weapons.

Abydog and chromedog like this.
  13. Kreslack

But a chain rifle can't shoot you 4 times from 12"+ away.

14. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

And it's better it stay that way

Stiopa and Kreslack like this.
  15. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Not guided ammo, just an attempt to to give some reactive troops the ability to be more potent in the reactive turn with the same effect as a coordinated order rotating its participating members on the same corner. This way CB doesnt have to have an over reliance on mimetism.

Same reason...

Neurocinetics has more range and positive range bands. Plus, CB can just limit which troops get as a Special Skill.

Berserk is MOV+MOV+CCAttack as a Special Skill. Some troops can have Dodge+BS Attack as a Special Skill.

I think you already knew what I meant, and again, as a Special Skill.

The point is mimetism is used too much through out the game. Any of the suggestions can shake things up, make things more interesting.

16. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

As a Special Skill on select units, this could be really cool, reduce a fractions reliance on mimetism and present a different challenge for players to overcome. I'd also like to see more amount types on templates if CB makes this a skill. That way they still compete.

17. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

I'm confused. Are you wanting the game over on the first turn?

18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Isn't it fun how, when you open a thread and you read the OP, you just don't agree with anything in there. Then you read the posts by people who have taken a stance opposite the OP, and you just don't agree with them, either.

19. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

How?

20. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

You dont agree with the idea that mimetism is over used or with the suggestions to replace mimetism on some troops? I did say people should make their own suggestion as well or modify the one's I said.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation