1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your opinion on crossover characters/themed forces on the tabletop?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Golem2God, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I don't know if this is the proper section of the forum to post a question like this but I'll give it a shot anyway.

As stated above I wondered what us formites opinions on the idea of taking a character or themed force from a different franchise & using it in a tabletop game. While there is nothing stopping someone from converting a model or an entire force to match a favored anime, show, comic, cartoon, etc...what would you, the opposing player, think of it? Willing to play against the army, model, linkteam? Or is there a line that needs to be drawn? Such as the person having made lore for this crossover force to be in the Infinity universe?

Is there such a thing as going to far with inserting other franchises' characters or themes into the Human Sphere?

2. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

I would be all for it! There might be some themes that are best not done, but outside of the offensive, if a player has invested his time and love to make something unique, kudos to him/her!

Just remember to make it easy for the opponent to understand what it is what [emoji6]

stevenart74 and Golem2God like this.
  3. Golem2God

I agree with this opinion altogether. I don't see the problem with letting someone use a converted model, linkteam, army that resembles another franchise. Just as I'm not against people making crossover characters for RPGs or in fanfiction. Though I do lean towards making the crossover coincide with the universe's lore & rules. Unless it is a vs or merging of both universes.

Your point of making sure there is clarity is important for tabletop games. Otherwise it is an unfair advantage for one side. So some caution is needed & careful planing required.

Thank you for reply to my inquiry. I appreciate it.

4. Moxie

Moxie Well-Known Member

All that matters is that its understandable what is what. Lore is a nice thing to have to tie in with the infinity universe but its absolutely not a requirement in my opinion.

Golem2God likes this.
  5. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

Corvus Belli themselves "borrows heavily" from other pop culture, but adapts it to fit their setting [emoji3]

Golem2God likes this.
  6. Golem2God

Understood. I find that it varies from person to person wether fan made lore is important.
    Agreed which is hard to imagine when some people don't think crossovers should be a thing. Every franchise has details that are based on other series or ideas. It matters how those ideals are varied & how well they are done that matter. I think alot of different franchises have ideas or characters that would fit well inside CB's Infinity universe with little variation from their original renditions.

coleslaw likes this.
  7. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Depends on the faction, lore excuse, bla, bla, bla bla, or you know, do your stuff and enjoy your creativity.

Infinity has many outlets, Lhosts, recreations, rogue AI's, cosmetic surgery, specialized crafters ectr ectr, to facilitate somebody or groups of individuals be themed around another fictional universe so you can craft a narrative explaining why a thing exists and is a thing.

Or you can simply have fun, I had converted and painted in the past a MO list that was themed around castle crushers, I gave no reason or explanation about it, I played the game at that time and found it a fun project to do.

Actually I may do it again for the fun of it.

8. Golem2God

Stuff like this is what helps drive me to create a force. A fanfiction, a story, one that makes the characters of the force believable that they could exist in that universe. I have alot of ideas of this sort and hope to post them in the fanfcition section of this forum in the coming weeks & months. Hopefully they can inspire people to try their hand at the process or just have people enjoy reading the stories.

As for MO &/or O.S.S.S I was thinking on basing a force of them off of Byzantine/Eastern Roman army. Just as I have an idea for a Steel Phalanx Iron Testudo Western Roman force. History can be a just as potent inspiration when it comes to converting a force.

stevenart74 likes this.
  9. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

I think there's a fine line, and that line is: how much effort you put into it.

If you convert your Space Marines into Military Orders by taking your time to mix and match heads, make sure they have readily recognizable weapons and PanO colors, and put them in the right bases, I'm gonna call you a cool chap and praise your effort.

If you just grab your marines and use them as Infinity models, I'm still gonna play with you, but I'm gonna call you a lazy ass.

Honestly I think imagination and effort are all there is to this question. Honest, genuine and non-offensive effort should be praised even if the end result doesn't suit my personal likes.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation