1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playable interiors - pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by KGG, Apr 17, 2021.

1. KGG

KGG Well-Known Member

I’m in the process of building a table for infinity and have the basic shapes for about 10x 1-3 storey buildings cut out.
    My initial plan was to have doors, stairs and ladders to make everything playable as the roof of each building can be removed, but now I’m thinking it might be a pain to pick up terrain every time someone moves inside, especially if another unit is on the roof.
    Is it worth it? What do I gain or lose by adding interiors? Should I make just some accessible? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

IMO, yes, worth it.

Removing the upper stores and roofs was never a problem for my group (we've been using accessible interiors for many years), especially if you design the roofs with high-enough railings.

An observation from my practice (and research among the forum population, too), though - 3-storey buildings might be a mite high. Ground floor, 1st floor above it, and playable roof, and that's enough. Having even one more tends to make it too Order-expensive to reach them, even if we're talking about reaching them by Climbing Plus or ladders.

It might be worth to design your buildings as modular, so you could assemble thme on table as single or multiple level buildings.

jherazob, kesharq, KGG and 1 other person like this.
  3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

One thing to remember is to make the buildings large, a minimum of ~7" (or 180mm) on theshortest interior side, far larger than most Infinity terrain. This is so that you may actually get your hand inside the building to move the minis, and so that other things fit. Make interior scatter for the buildings too. Desks, tables etc. Bigger is indeed better here. Make the interior levels taller too, 4" (100mm), between floors

Three storey buildings are fine, but don't put a roof on them. The roof is only going to get in the way, and as Errhile noted, order intensive to access. You'll still have 3 levels of the building and a top level that is an interior is actually an interesting variation from the usual roof as top floor.

The photo below shows a WIP of what I mean by larger. It's basically a 12" x12"x12" cube. Someday I'll finish it.

IMG_7079_v1.JPG

Any interior walls which I add will be removable.

#3 Red Harvest, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Modock, Usashi, Xagul82 and 5 others like this.
  4. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

You may have add an extra 0 in the metric measures.
    180cm is the size of a tall man.

jherazob, KGG and chromedog like this.
  5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

I did say large buildings. 180cm is not tall at all. It's barely above manlet sized. (I'm 193cm, BTW, so that may influence my perception of tall.) But yeah, I meant to use mm not cm. Post edited. However, the idea of a building the size of the table is pretty cool one. It may be more workable with the CodeOne table sizes. The N4 table scales to about 64-65 meters per side, a small code one table to 32 meters by 43 meters. (Depends on how one views scale in the game. I think of Infinity miniatures as 1:53 scale.)

jherazob, KGG and Koin-Koin like this.
  6. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Strongly against being able to access with a miniature anything you can't access with your hand without moving anything, outside of casual/narrative play. Being able to deploy your LT in a room it takes 6 orders to reach from the outside unbalances the game.

7. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I had to abandon my project since I lost access to the lasercutter, but I made the roof sectional. This way you can remove part of it and move models separately. I also planned scatter terrain inside. Theme wise I figured garages were the easiest to adapt. Using cars inside as well as outside with large removable doors gives you a lot of play variations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KGG, Modock, Usashi and 6 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation