1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making 15 the baseline

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Triumph, Mar 27, 2021.

1. redeemer

redeemer Well-Known Member

it is hard to justify their cost even after the cost reduction that TAGS got with N4 I prefer to spend the extra points on my link team over a single model that cant benefit the huge team link bonuses not to mention most of my lists hard counter HI and tags so Tags have never been a real treat to me. maybe the 15 model limit would come in handy in 500 points games which could make me take a tag XD

2. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

How many TAGs have you faced so far in N4?

3. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

... and how many have been Avatars or Jotums?

inane.imp likes this.
  4. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

TAGs are a massive liability while Andromeda exists

5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Assault pistol vs PH12 ARM2 dodging

There's nothing stopping you from spending the next order and chasing it down and beating it in CC, the point is you don't have to do that if you already killed them on the approach to CC. Your warband unit turns the corner on a model and gets an assault pistol on them in the open while they dodge to avoid a potential chain rifle, you're 65% odds they die right there and then and you don't need to spend the follow up order stabbing them. Sure if the dice favour them and they get the 35% that they survive, spend the extra order and run them down but the point is you often don't have to which saves an order to do something else with, hence more order efficient.

6. Rejnhard

Rejnhard Well-Known Member

I was confused because of the context, and because I'm currently mainly familiar with Ghazis, where the price difference seems quite sensible. i looked through other armies and found out with some surprise (but not much) that BSG vs CR price difference in Warbands varies greatly, between 4 points (Ghazis) all the way to 8. I think that if just the difference was closer to what Ghazis pay all would be well. (I hope it's just not a pricing bug like it was with Daylamis).
    In my opinion CR warbands are usually order inefficient on the offensive, and thus mainly a defensive crutch. If you hike their price too much or straight up remove them I think some armies might effectively lose an important defensive measure.

SpectralOwl and toadchild like this.
  7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Good catch, it definitely looks like Muttawiah and Galwegians are using different gear prices.

8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Units that costs near 5 points have really weird prices on their gear and equipment to avoid them costing below 5 points. My favourite example remains Kuang Shi whom I think do not get any discount from Impetuous at all because of this.

9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

not seen a jotum since the first month of N4, all we see now is the Avatar, Sphinx, Cutter and the occasional Gecko (if they even count).

Andromeda (though frankly she isn't that large of a concern), speculos, oniwaban, a handful of other profiles but the thing that cased them out of our meta real quick was hacking, people got real sick of a stolen tag lighting their back line on fire with a HFT or similar secondary weapon, or running it out into the middle of the table to engage one of your warbands.

10. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

I saw a Jotum the other day and it almost single-handedly eliminated all my decent to good offensive units while taking only one wound...from a Koala of all things. (Granted my terrible dice luck helped it out, but still.)

Your mileage may vary.

wuji and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  11. Triumph

They probably do have a discount, going to regular from irregular costs 4 points on its own.

12. Mahtamori

Not really. Unless Explode is very expensive. (IMO it shouldn't cost any points, possibly be a discount vector, even...)
    If you look at Caledonia Volunteers; Impetuous, Dogged, slightly higher CC, +1 BS, +1 WIP, and +1 PH on the Kuang Shi versus +1 ARM and Light Shotgun on the Volunteer.
    Can also compare to the 112; Light Shotgun and Doctor is about the same price as a Boarding Shotgun, so the 112's higher CC could easily make up the difference compared to Dogged.

I'm not going to dig too deeply into deconstructing it, but most cheap Impetuous units seem to get at least 5 points discount (usually bankrolled into CC skills which makes deconstructing a PITA) versus the gold standard and this would leave the Kuang Shi with Chain Rifle virtually free which should be obvious is not correct.
    On the other end of the spectrum, Kuang Shi already have way better stat line than a unit of their... origin... should have so you can't really add abilities until it matches. This is what most Impetuous units get to compensate - loads of extra stat line. Hence the WIP 15 (!) Muttas...
    So instead we end up with a unit that is artificially a lot more expensive than its peers, yet still ends up potent enough that people call for its nerf, so putting a real gun on the Chain Rifle profile wouldn't be the end of the unit if it meant the BSG profile could drop in price to a point where it's worth taking.

13. Triumph

The LSG is 2 points, if you take that off the Volunteer it's 4 points. The Kuang Shi getting +1 BS, PH, WIP, Dogged, Courage, and Explode. That to me seems like there's a discount being applied to the Kuang Shi.

14. Mahtamori

LSG price varies. Volunteers (and most Ariadnan units) seem to pay 3 points for it, Zenit-7 pays 4, units with Combi Rifles or (more weirdly) Rifles pays 2 points most of the time. The point is that it's not similar to the massive increase in ability that most other Impetuous units get, and above all else that more expensive units get a lot larger discounts than the cheap ones - hence the claim that there's points "compression" for cheap units to keep them from being too cheap.

15. Triumph

Huh, that is interesting.

16. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I feel like the major point that you're basically saying and that other hopefully recognize it that: When gambling, play the odds no matter how many times you've lost. When we use the dice calculator, we arent looking at the 15% of 5k rolls that end in our guy taking a wound or the other 25% of nothing happening. We are looking at the 60% of 5k rolls that will win. Play the odds.

17. Triumph

I did see a Raicho on the weekend. It died top of turn 1 to guided missiles though...

Tourniquet likes this.
  18. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

No EVO Firewall? Raicho has ECM Hacker, Guided, Reset and Dodge, I'm sure it took quite a few orders to kill the and only lost 1.5-2 SWC. The amount of work put into Repeater, Spotlight single shot Missiles is fair. It takes support to pull off and each piece is fragile.

19. Triumph

You can't EVO Firewall shit when you're going second, and even if you could it wouldn't have helped as it got hit by a Forward Observer that snuck close to the DZ after starting on the halfway line.

20. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

This is true, you cant, which began the question why did CB not include that in the list of Strategic Command Token uses as before...

Also, perhaps the Raicho should have been in SupFire

emperorsaistone likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation