1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteam and Coherency check

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Ayadan, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

Hi! A question arisen as we were reading about the Fireteam coherency checks and we could need some help to know if we understand it right.

Say we have a Fireteam composed of Bob, Clara, Ray, John and Sarah.
    Bob was the team leader at the end of the last order and everything was wonderful. Now, I spend one more order on the Fireteam.
    If I understand the rules in the right way, Bob is still the team leader and the coherency check is still good, then I change the team leader token to Clara who is going to be the team leader. So, John and Sarah, who are too far to be in coherency with Clara at this point in the order, are still in the fireteam, right?
    Then, I perform my order and at the end of the order, if John and Sarah are now close enough, they are still part of the fireteam.

Did I get everything right? Or did I miss something?

2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

You check initial coherency in relation to the new team leader, not the old one. So John and Sara leave the fireteam at the start of the order.

Fireteam: Basic Rules - Changing the Team Leader - "In the Active Turn, a player can change the Team Leader by placing the Team Leader Token beside the Fireteam member he wishes to take over as Team Leader, when declaring the first Skill of an Order."

Coherency - At the Start and End of an Order - "The player must check Coherency at the start of the Order, after having declared the first Short Skill of the Order."

So you change the team leader "when" declaring the first skill, then check coherency "after" having declared the first skill.

ijw likes this.
  3. Ayadan

Well, with the new chart of the Order sequence, I'm not sure if this is how it works now. I think that it was intended to work this way, but it doesn't for now.
    [​IMG]
    As I understand it, you do the coherency check at the 1.1. step, not the 1.2.
    And at this very moment, the team leader is still Bob, not Clara.

4. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As QueensGambit says (and directly quotes from the rules), Coherency is checked after declaring the first Skill of the Order.

As above. It happens during step 1.2, after declaring the Skill and before measuring-moving.

From Coherency:
    The player must check Coherency at the start of the Order, after having declared the first Short Skill of the Order, or an Entire Order, or an ARO, but before measuring movement, if any has been declared.
    My emphasis. Which bit of that paragraph are you saying refers to step 1.1?

inane.imp likes this.
  5. Ayadan

This part:
    [​IMG]
    I see what you get but it wasn't that clear without this. A mention of what you quoted could be a good thing (putting Coherency Check as a link to Coherency, for example). Because any veteran knows what is coherency, but we didn't even thought about checking it since everything was written in the Fireteam rules before.

Anyway, thank you for the answer. I wasn't trying to game the rules, just wanted to have the good tools to explain in hands.

ijw likes this.
  6. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's linked to earlier in the same sentence. As a general rule, I've been trying not to include multiple redundant links within the same paragraph of a rule.

Ayadan likes this.
  7. Ayadan

Yeah, just seen it. I should advise my comrades to prefer using the wiki rather than the rulebook now.

ijw likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation