1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your style

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by wuji, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What design intent do you guys prefer behind your models

1. Mature theme with realistic dynamic posing

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Mature theme and stoic posing

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Dont care much as long as its CAD

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Fun-Loving/Anime theme with dynamic posing

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Full on Kogal/PinUp sculpts

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Don't care for maturity level as long the force matches

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Not voting because I find the options unclear, as raised by others.

Infinity has gone through several scale revisions; each era has had best and worst models, and models that are more or less “serious” or “realistic”.

N1 and early N2 had relatively large and chunky sculpts, with weapons often almost as large as the wielder. Iconic examples are the original Shaolin monks, Moira HMG, or the original Fiday.

Human Sphere era featured a smaller, cleaner, and more true-scale models. A lot of the really small and fiddly sculpts people love to complain about are from this period. Weapons are still somewhat oversized, but are significantly reduced from N1-era sculpts in many cases. See original Odalisques, Acon Regulars, or Achilles v1.

Around Campaign Paradiso, some digital sculpts started appearing using the existing HSN2 figure scale. Weapon size was further reduced, but public reception was very negative. See original Grrls, Vortex spec-op, or Tohaa starter.

N3, starting with Operation Icestorm, Morat resculpts, etc. went fully to digital sculpts and increased the figure scale. The difference in size between male and female sculpts also increased further. As mentioned, weapon scale is now based on figure size, not constant between models. This is enabled by digital tools; for manual sculpting, the sculptors would incorporate pre-cast weapons to ensure consistency between models, but CB did not provide multiple sizes of rifles within one era of sculpts.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  2. SpectralOwl

I'll admit to switching it up now and then. Some days I like playing out a super-serious cyberpunk ops team, on others my chosen force looks more like a circus than a military unit, and my usual preference is in the middle. Same with the gender dimorphism issue; I like to be able to tell my troops apart, but I'll never field both male and female ORCs at the same time because they look like a completely different damn unit. I like the big human tank aesthetic of the men and the sleek armour of the females with plenty of exposed synthetic muscle (though I can do without the boobplate, heels and Nerf guns), but I have no idea how the team that thought shoulder Panzerfausts weren't obvious on the table cleared those aesthetics for a troop entry. The thing that's important to me is that I'm able to make that switch if I want to with my own collection; it's why the increasing integration of Characters and Mercenaries into faction design pisses me off- those guys come with a very clear and distinct aesthetic, and I don't always want my NCA to be Shona's sword fanclub just because we're playing Looting and Sabotaging and I'll be kicked out of the tournament if I don't have her.

tl,dr; choice is good. I like being able to pick my own guys' aesthetic.

Maybe we could see "seasons" of releases, live-service videogame style, supporting different audiences' tastes instead of just one? Like doing the current Bootleg-type stuff for this year's ALEPH, then doing the next run when Steel Phallus gets revamped as Super Cereal Black Ops Guys?

3. Sigeric

Sigeric Irregular WB

A myrmidon in hoplite helm and sandals would be the acme of folly... but I suppose that's what the Bootleg series is for: things that deviate from the general tone of the miniature range but somehow appeal to certain people, and I'm fine with that. Malifaux does it with some degree of success, so it can work here.

The same way I don't really like ridiculous stuff that can be at home in Warmachine (looking at you, St. Lazarus standard-bearer), I don't want totally cereal, gritty stuff right out of late 00s, early 10s era. There must be a middle ground there.

Oh, and I like my girl models to look suitably feminine. Not korean RPG style, mind you, but you won't see me complaining about any TAG pilots.

4. jake richmond

jake richmond Well-Known Member

Its not clear to me why people think the St. Lazarus model is ridiculous. Is it the standard? That hardly seems out of place in an army where everyone is wearing tabards and cloaks and waving around swords. In a game with space werewolfs and Confederate bikers.

If anything, Military Orders having individuals that act as inspirational rallying points seems very on-brand to me. They seem like an army that would bring their battle flag or standard to the field, especially carried by an individual who is meant to represent safety and security for their soldiers.

5. Sigeric

Sigeric Irregular WB

Well, for me it's a little bit too much. The other one has the hood and the sword, yes, but also the bag and some indication of what the guy's line of work is.

Caledonians have a healer that carries a bagpipe, so I guess him and standard-bearer lady went to the same school. Bards have some healing spells after all.

I suppose some people appreciate the heroic feel of the new gal (hence why they cleared the model for production in the first place), but I don't quite like it. Not the model per se, but the style. A little standard bearing here, a little old scroll attached to the power armor there, and thus begin the dreaded one-upmanship of details that ends up with ridiculous designs. And skulls. Skulls everywhere.

And the worst part is that the standard isn't even big or clear enough to allow me to paint some kickass flag. The audacity!

I am of course exaggerating, but I think it helps get my point across.

miguelbarbo84 likes this.
  6. jake richmond

It seems like you don't like it because you're afraid that it might lead to Infinity models looking like Warhammer models? Am I understanding you?

I seems weird to me. There are already tons and tons of similarities between the two lines, yet clearly Infinity models have always been distinct. I doubt anyone would look at this one and identify it as a Warhammer model.

7. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I'm ok with over the top grim dark, provided they stay the fuck away from heroic scale. That shit can fuck right off.

8. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

What if i like 'mature', 'stoic', CAD, fun loving, anime and pinup in all my models?
    [​IMG]

9. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Checkmate, atheists.

Devil_Tiger and Dragonstriker like this.
  10. Sigeric

Sigeric Irregular WB

It's a matter of taste. If I don't like the model, I'm not buying it, and if I don't like the model range of a sectorial, chances are I won't get into it despite me liking the rules and fluff.

Military orders is Bauhaus from Mutant Chronicles Warzone with some Patlabor and other weeb stuff thrown into it. The (overall) result is distinct enough from other warriors if the fate seen in other settings (and boy is there a bunch of them around already). However, some of the new sculpts... I'm just not feeling it.

11. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

I have been vocal about all kinds of gun crimes, including that one. Especially back when Gecko had damage 13 combi rifles.

Hecaton, Rumdog and Dragonstriker like this.
  12. Kreslack

Kreslack Unknown Ranger lead the way!

The weapon sizing is a consistent issue that annoys me. And it is made worse when they have recent examples of giving the girls the same guns as everyone else. Then go right back to the undersized ones again.

The TAK starter was a fantastic example of giving everyone the same scale of guns. And all of those models looked fantastic.

13. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

This, absolutely. Kazak rifles are excellent and even the chain rifles on Irmies seem not to be that absurd. All of the USARF sculpts were also great with that.

14. jake richmond

I've always assumed that guns are 3D printed for users. This makes a lot of sense. No reason to have warehouses and stockpiles of guns that you have to ship all over the Human Sphere. Instead, combatants are issued weapons designed for their body. After all, "one size fits all' is only a desirable goal if you don't have the capability to easily produce correct sizes for everyone. Within limits, anyway. Weapons are distributed on deployment, or at the beginning of a mission. In the case of sustained operations a 3D printer is on site to print new weapons as needed, and limited stockpiles are produced in case of emergency.

Ariadna simply doesn't have this technology, or has limited access, so they instead mostly have standard issue guns.

15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

<Obligatory rant about how ammunition and thus bore size is the biggest constraining factor when it comes to military logistics of hand-held weapons>

16. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

All of the above? None of the above? Definitely need a multi select. I think different forces work well with different themes. I think that Ariadna benefits from being more realistic, while I think armies like JSA and PanO benefit from going a bit more wild.

Devil_Tiger, wes-o-matic and Hecaton like this.
  17. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

<obligatory co-rant about physical limitations (recoil system internal parts' mass and size!) on weapon sizes that prevent any rescaling beyond rifle / carbine / bullpup scale>

Dragonstriker likes this.
  18. Sangarn

Sangarn TRIUMcorp CEO
    Warcor

where is the: "I hate the quality drop of the CAD sculpting"
    initial release of MO is best area of infinity

I'm all for milsim and cyberpunk with a touch of sexyness -> full GITS style

Devil_Tiger likes this.
  19. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

If "mature" means "tits, for their own sake" (definitely not looking at you KDM ... sideeyes) then what does it mean?
    I prefer my SF with a harder edge than space fantasy or space opera, but I can deal with powered armour troops and smaller mecha (landmates or Votoms over gundam or battlemecha).
    That said, I prefer a coherent look for my forces over cliched or stereotyped aspects to the nth power (Ted Nugent USAriadna bowhunter model, for example).

Dragonstriker likes this.
  20. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Yup. The wedge heels on my USARF ladies bother me, but Fraactas jumping out of dropships in high heels is just part of the aesthetic.

We could use some more Hardcases since I'm frequently running 3 these days. I'd love a survivalist gal of some sort and a bandido-looking one with a sombrero...

SpectralOwl likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation