1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your style

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by wuji, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What design intent do you guys prefer behind your models

1. Mature theme with realistic dynamic posing

25 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Mature theme and stoic posing

4 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Dont care much as long as its CAD

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Fun-Loving/Anime theme with dynamic posing

8 vote(s)
    13.3%
  5. Full on Kogal/PinUp sculpts

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Don't care for maturity level as long the force matches

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Then we'll have to see it on the box

2. jake richmond

jake richmond Well-Known Member

I think you're not understanding what I'm saying.

• The way you've chosen to word the options (specifically using the word "mature", and too a lesser extent "stoic") is heavily biased toward the first two options and presents the rest as inferior. Why not use a term like "realistic" instead, which at least has a quantifiable meaning in this context?
    • The options are poorly defined. It creates confusion. Which option covers things like the Ghost in the Shell inspired models? Does the grenade launcher Hunzakut fall into category 1, 2, 4 or 5? Are the newish Morlocks Mature or Anime themed?

3. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, I'll answer your bullet points and then you tell me if you think I don't get what you're saying based on those answers. And please take a moment to consider if you havent misappreciated what I had said previously.
    • I did use the word realistic. And a actually the word stoic is not like the word realistic, it implies a level of fantasy involving younger audience. Not the concept being stoic, but looking stoic. Like a starwars novel is different from a star wars comic. Someone can be stoic and not stand like The Rock when he "smulders" in Jumanji... Notice I did use the word dynamic posing in the choice for fun-loving anime. Bright pink pig tails on the field of combat is fun loving anime. Then is the pose dynamic or is it pin-up...
    • I take the entirety of the GitS franchise as mature. Sure, sometimes Kusanagi's body looks like a 13 year old girl, but its intent is mature. She is never trying to be cute for cuteness' sake nor do I recall her character ever making a pin-up pose like some Animes do, again, directed at a younger audience. As for the Hunzakut, she belongs 100% in choice A. She's maturely designed and in a dynamic pose.

First image is stoic, second is dynamic. Both are mature. Now if either of these was wearing skin suits and hot pink pig tails I'd say Fun-loving, with they were posing sexually, I'd say Pin-Up.

I'd really like you and others to consider removing yourself from the attachment of the word mature and immature. If someone gave you an incredible gift, you might act immature in receiving it, you yourself would not be immature, immaturity implies inappropriate or youthful or naive interaction with an experience or environment. When we see a baby bear fuckin with a porcupine, it's just immature, the bear itself is still a bear. Likewise fembot in hot pink is doing something it probably shouldnt be doing on the battlefield, which is looking like that. Someone could say the Samurai should not look like they are wearing hats except they arent the kinds of soldiers who wear camouflage, they dont care for it because they know they are in power armor and their carrying swords that cut through metal like a hot knife through butter, the samurai look is intimidation. The Karakuri look isn't intimidation, you may want to argue "yeah but what's scarier than a cute murderbot", any of the terminators, those are scarier, the GitS bots transforming and moving like spiders is scarier. I get the idea of psychological warfare, I do, but unless that thing is shooting at you, it's not scary, and being shot at is scary, I personally know. Also, notice my question is about design intent preference behind models, not what I thought people thought about themselves. Yes I get it, I'm 35 year old vet arguing with randoms online about concepts. But I'm not attacking anyone, people are getting offended because they're attaching words that arent being applied to them to their actual character. Which is a whole other argument I'm never gonna get into, that's between those people and the people in their personal lives. I'm just talking about designing mini metal people..

Women-in-israel-defense-forces-idf-military-girls_40.jpg idfwomen_hdv.jpg

#23 wuji, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    stevenart74 likes this.
  4. jake richmond

I don't think you're attacking anyone. I also don't think anyone is getting offended. But you're using extremely subjective terms for your options that will mean very different things to different people. Which really defeats the purpose of a poll.

I think its worth noting that many Infinity models easily fall into more than 1 or your categories. You refer to the Hunzakute as "Realistic with a dynamic pose." That's a fair description. But I could also refer you to dozens of anime with nearly identical looking characters. And that might lead me to place the model in the anime category. I could also describe the pose as "stoic" (by at least one definition of the word) and place it in that category. And I think the model certainly has pin-up qualities. So you might put it in your first category, but someone else may choose 3 others. And at that point, what purpose does the survey even serve? Similarly, you describe Ghost in the Shell as mature. That's fine. But just also undeniably an anime. So which options does it go under? If we both love the Ryuken HRL but you choose option 1 and I choose option 4, that's not useful information. That tells us nothing.

Polls with super subjective and unclearly defined options don't actually work.

5. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Since she's placing a mine and looking elsewhere, this basically a fire and forget action. Yeah its subtle but it is dynamic. Stoic is just standing there. And so is Pin-up. But pin-up is trying to look sexy, yes the hunzakut girls boobs show cause she's larger than average and shirt is open but she isnt trying to look it, shes legit working.

Ryuken Rocket Launcher is working too, and so is the SMG. Neither is wearing anything necessarily inappropriate or posing. Some might say her clothes are revealing but it's not Tech Bee. The Bee clearly falls into the category of Dynamic Anime/fun-loving style. Ryuken 9 girl still falls into Dynamic Mature. Her uniform has her equipment built into it and it's the same as the Ninjas, only difference is shes wearing a different top, a jacket and its half open, that's not breaking suspension of disbelief. Sure, I've never seen a girl in the military in a combat zone with her cleavage showing, but plenty of cops train that way. And lastly, it is still a game. But really, I just wanted the maturity and the concept of JSA to be uniform: old japan meets clandestine operations and rapid assault.

6. jake richmond

I think you're still not understanding what I'm saying.

Your categories are incredibly subjective. They may be clearly defined to you, but no one else knows what your criteria is.

7. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Think the general problem is, that you get only the complaints and not the positive feedback from the people who are satisfied.
    I’m finding myself atm in a position, where I realise what I loved on the models what is now changed in the design.
    It’s like a Pork Cycle.
    Btw, nice to hear that anecdote, didn’t know that, but it supports my theory.

8. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

It's also very possible you just dont like them. Afterall, you're opinion of it is also subjective. And I was able to provide very clear examples. Nothing was muddied.

#28 wuji, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    stevenart74 likes this.
  9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Yeah, by this point this is a classic wuji thread.

Remember, he's this guy:
    upload_2021-3-28_23-39-49.png

10. miguelbarbo84

miguelbarbo84 Well-Known Member

FTFY

RolandTHTG likes this.
  11. Rumdog

Rumdog Well-Known Member

A little bit off topic, if I may, but is there information on why integrated weapons were discarded? Charontid and Avatar for example.

12. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

While I have not discuss it, I would assume for the same reason why PanO panzerfausts change to the more traditional disposable tube format, they do not have a distinctive silhouette recognizable "across the table" and this is an important design element.

13. Rumdog

Rumdog Well-Known Member

Fair enough, thank you for answering!

14. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I know weapons size changed to be proportional to the miniature so that they do not look out of scale for the miniature, yes, that can lead to female models have smaller weapons than the male models, and HI have huge weapons of what is essentially the same weapon a LI has, thought nobody commend on that part surprisingly, but in isolation the model is in scale and consistent.

wuji likes this.
  15. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I don't recall there being much in the way of discussion about weapon scale on older miniatures in the transition period, must've been much earlier when the community was much smaller, but ever since CB adopted the weapons-scaled-by-waistline approach ('cause it sure doesn't seem to scale to miniature height) it keeps cropping up.
    With one honourable exception that I know of - Kanren hacker.

P.s. I don't actually care about hair colour. It's not something I associate with an animé aesthetic, but rather a way to add necessary pop. Perfectly painted realistic camouflage does have a tendency to camouflage the units on the table and make them blend in, reducing their playability I find and kind of hiding the paint job.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  16. Sigeric

Sigeric Irregular WB

Yeah, well, good luck trying to fit the following under the same groove:

- Brawlers with their "serious PMC" vibe and Black Friday handbag frenzy
    - Saito "My Scarf is Bigger Than Yours" Togan
    - Cordelia posing for a korean fashion magazine
    - Druze sniper posing for a Guns & Ammo cover
    - Mr. Taowu "too cool to use my sleeves" gimmick
    - Bounty Hunter with the suitcase-smg
    - Valerya cosplaying a Final Fantasy background character

You can't, but those are NDA for you. Love it or leave it.

I don't have an issue with different degrees of "seriousness" and "plausibility" across factions, but I think it should stay somewhat consistent within the same sectorial. That is to say: don't sculpt hard sci-fi moderators in realistic proportions in the same place where you play with fursonas, nuns with guns and punk chicks in anti ballistic spandex.

That being said:

- Weapons being the size of the user's torso is a no-go for me.
    - Just STOP filling every single part of the minis with stuff. I want to do some freehand sometimes. Geez.
    - Bootleg used to be a thing. What happened to that, too busy dressing aristos as LoL characters? Speaking of which...
    - Still waiting on that Bourak Seaside Resort pack with characters in tactical swimwear. You already got caledonian girls in pants for the redemption arc, Corvus, how's about making some money now?

Devil_Tiger and wuji like this.
  17. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

For what it's worth, phrases like 'For Mature Readers' or 'Contains Mature Content' are standard phrases for books/comics/films etc. that contain lots of sex and violence. In terms of US film rating, R-rated or NC-17 rated.

Which made these poll options really confusing. ;-)

18. jake richmond

Wuji... The whole problem is you had to provide paragraph long examples on the 2nd page of the thread to show what your options meant. That's why they're not good poll options. People have to infer what they mean based on your own unspecified definitions. I'm not saying your opinions or tastes are right or wrong or good or bad. I'm saying that the options you presented don't work. Any poll results will be meaningless, and will just represent people trying to guess what you mean.

Can I suggest something different?

Instead of using terms like "Anime", "Mature", "Stoic" and "Fun-loving" (which mean something specific to you but clearly mean very different things to other people), why not just list a few models as examples instead? That way people can see exactly what style you're talking about.

For example, choose 5 models that fit your "Mature and Stoic" criteria and offer them as one option. Choose 5 models fit your "Fun loving/Anime" criteria and offer them as an option. Leave out the description and just present the examples. That way people can see what you're actually talking about and theres no confusion for anyone.

I'd also suggest separating design from pose. Both are valid questions, but two separate polls would really be required to get a clear answer.

Dragonstriker, wuji and Rumdog like this.
  19. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

On the real that's a really good suggestion. But honestly, I couldnt possibly fit my explanations in those blocks...

I would prefer that CB gets the most accurate results, but I took my shot, so someone else would have to if they want CB to get an honest idea. I mean there was that big poll from FB with but people started to crap on it cause of the group it was from and I precioualy had suggested someone make a poll.

I will say for my defense and poll answers, they may have been words I chose but they were at least relatively opposite of each other. Dynamic is mostly opposite from stoic and pinup. While mature is mostly opposite from fun-loving. I wouldnt say the poll is a complete wash.

20. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I would have used those ratings if they fit what I was "attempting" to accomplish. I do think Jake's suggestion was best, and I really wish people would be open to discussing relation of polls sharing suggestions prior so we actually create something wholly positive. We as players would appreciate and so would CB. But, I think that means many of us have to let old rivalries and any bad blood go first. And that's really applicable to anybody any time. If there isnt a an agreement, come up with a pill idea and discuss how it should be made. The results might not be what some people want, like I would hope the majority dont want cute murderbots but if the majority of people really wanted it, I'd be fine with it. I'm sure you agree.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation