1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC attack allowed to be declared at a distance.

Discussion in 'Rules' started by kinginyellow, Mar 26, 2021.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Koalas don't have a Template so don't impose a -3.

On Order 2 of your example Yojimbo will be in LOF of the Reactive Trooper at Step 6, when Mods are determined.

2. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Read the rule again. I bolded the bullet point in red. It only need the active trooper to be inside ZoC and outside LoF to impose the -3 PH to Dodge in ARO. It does not say it is only applied to an Attack from the active model. In fact, it doesnt say anything about attacks. It just is a -3 Dodge if the ARO is a activated by a "Trooper" inside ZoC and outside LoF. So if there's a Zero Vis Zone separating the two, impose it. Something from behind, impose it...

#102 wuji, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Uxia can do some nasty stuff too with these corner cases.

4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Statements by people from the Rules Team aren't official? And this is a warcor speaking? :D

5. inane.imp

In your example the Reactive model has LOF to Yojimbo. The result is that they Dodge without the -3. A successful Dodge will avoid the Koala.

Compare instead an Interventor Hacking through a Moran's Repeater: the victim does not have LOF so will Dodge at -3, a failed Dodge will eat the Koala.

6. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Err, well, I'm pretty sure a model would declare reset against an Interventer, buuuut, I know what you're trying to say.

As far as Yojimbo, I believe you may also know what is entailed in order to make the model that is in ARO Dodge -3 to the Koala. Be be effected by a smoke template or just never present Yojimbo to said model's LoF. Versus a fireteam would make this extra tasty. Manage to place the Koala to threaten someone else in the fireteam first before who ever is guarding the corner. Then Yojimbo threatens 2 troops at the same time and threatens breaking at least one member out of the fireteam.

7. inane.imp

Yes - to get the -3 Yojimbo just wouldn't need to enter LOF. Whether he Moves + CCs or CCs + Moves doesn't change that.

wuji likes this.
  8. atomicfryingpan

atomicfryingpan Well-Known Member

We might need to change our tactics and not hug the corners so tightly and evaluate what pieces of terrain are potential death traps against melee centric armies. I think we can counter play around this without having huge rule changes.

Methuselah and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  9. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

The change in placement that goes along with this negates a large amount of ability to defend. Also, good luck getting new players to put up with this; they'll just say "this is bullshit" and go play something else. And they'll be right. If this interaction was explicitly explained in the rules it would be ok; as it stands it's just this interaction that produces emergent consequences with huge tactical implications. It will cause a large amount of "gotcha!" situations in which new players will rightly feel thst they're losing to rules technicalities and not their opponent's skill.

Nuada Airgetlam, nazroth and Mogra like this.
  10. atomicfryingpan

I disagree that it negates a large amount. If you're building crazy dense America style boards then yeah you're probably setting yourself up for some serious thrashing. When playing against a melee centric army we probably have to change the way we think about deployment and defense especially if they're going first. If I'm going 2nd I probabl either need to have my guy looking out from the corner to aro at range or have my guy further back from the corner so crazy samurai and knights can't just charge around the corner. Maybe I need to double up some key aro positions with a prone and standing trooper so if one gets charged I'll have another ready to shoot if he gets chopped. Maybe if going 2nd we keep our forces back and let them take the midfield and use our active turn to try and safely kill their melee people from range? I'm just throwing out examples and I'm sure some of these aren't great but I don't think adjusting how we normally play when going against melee power house armies is too much of an ask.

11. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

@atomicfryingpan Nah, the vast majority of "scatter" terrain pieces you'd take cover behind now are no defense against players exploiting this trick. "Just adapt" rings hollow when it negates the ability to use weapons like chain rifles and flamethrowers as defensive tools, when that's what they're meant to be used as as per CB.

It's not even a matter of "melee power house" armies, do you have any idea of the kind of dumb shit I could do with the UKR in this situation?

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  12. atomicfryingpan

Chain rifles and flamethrowers are also great offensive tools. Marching the ukr up the field from the deployment zone is gonna be order intensive. I think people are over valuing this stuff and not thinking about how to counter act it.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  13. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

With 6-2 Troopers there's a pretty strong chance I could start abusing the mechanic to land burst 2 or 3 D-Charges onto targets while robbing them of the ability to ARO meaningfully in return. Definitely something I could see leverageable with Kokram in a Zuyong Haris.

Is it overpowered? Unknown at this point and I'm not even really sure if it's the main concern to be honest. The reality is I can't see my opponent being particularly happy that I'm robbing him of the chance to contest in ARO with a gun while I'm walking through LOF to rush down his unit down with B2-3 CC19 D-Charges so I'm very hesitant to actually try this IRL.

nazroth likes this.
  14. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

This interaction already existed in n3 but was 1 order more expensive.

I idle without stealth to provoke change face then move around the corner. Next order cc.

I feel like this belief of what this interaction means a bit extreme as most people I have played against in local store and in tournaments in n3 upon learning how the prior aro bait were fine with the interaction. The active player had another interesting tactic they could use, and the defense of covering each others back is easy in concept as difficult in execution.

15. Triumph

Which doesn't work anymore in N4, as this gives the opponent the chance to dodge out of range now.

16. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

The exact steps to end up punching a guy in the face who was forced to be only be allowed to dodge or cc back has changed (only noticeable change is n3 could cost upwards of 1 more order than n4). But to say this interaction is extreme is a bit much imo as there were steps to force the enemy aro to be reduced to dodge or cc back existed in prior editions and people handled it fine.

Methuselah and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  17. inane.imp

You need to assign Burst at declaration. Burst Mods are determined at declaration.

"Both during the Active and Reactive Turns, there may be Modifiers (MODs) that affect the Burst (B). They are applied when declaring the Attack. There are also MODs to the Attack Rolls, which are applied in the Resolution step of the Order. These MODs are explained in the sections for their respective Types of Combat (BS, CC, or Hacking). "

So you can't use this and gain additional burst unless you already have something in S2S.

Methuselah likes this.
  18. Triumph

True, although I don't think it'll do much to placate and opponent that is stuck dodging or declaring a CC attack and risking the active model rushing past their front arc to shoot them in the ass next order.

19. inane.imp

You can achieve that better by declaring Dodge + Move. The only thing declaring CC Attack may do is bluff them into wasting their ARO by declaring CC Attack back.

20. Triumph

No, that's worse. If you do Move+Dodge they can dodge out of range or dodge to turn to face if they pass their check and you tried to move past their front arc, if you lock them into the CC attack you can run straight into their back arc guaranteed for ass shots next order.

If they decide to Dodge instead of CC attack, then you move into them instead of past them and they're contesting a lethal attack with a non lethal ARO on a stat that is often the lowest one they have available, lower than CC and BS. Basically a real feelsbadman.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation