1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skill order with Stealth in Fireteam

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Diphoration, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

(Sorry for this post)

So in the vein of trying to figure out every possible weird interaction possible in the hopes of getting the cleanest possible ruleset we can eventually get, I found this interaction...

Since Declaration of ARO and the Resolution of an ARO are very distinct things (as shown in the other lengthy discussions)...

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO WILL LIKELY NEVER HAPPEN IN A GAME, WHY WOULD YOU DECLARE SHOOT-MOVE INSTEAD OF MOVE-SHOOT ON TOP OF AN ALREADY CORNER CASE INTERACTION. I JUST LOVE RULES DISCUSSIONS AND I THINK IT'S A FUN MENTAL EXERCISE AND IT WILL HELP FIND HOLES IN THE RULESET TO POTENTIALLY HELP THE RULES TEAM THINK OF THESE POSSIBLE EXCEPTIONS IN THE FUTURE. PLEASE BE CIVIL, THANKS! :heart:
    - - - - -

The rules in question for the situation

In the FAQ, we have this.
    https://downloads.corvusbelli.com/infinity/faq/n4-faq-en.pdf
    (1) If several Troopers are activated at once (for example a Coordinated Order or a Fireteam) and one of them uses Stealth while outside a reactive Trooper's ZoC or Hacking Area, can the Trooper that used Stealth be chosen as the target of AROs?
    Yes, but the ARO will only be considered valid if the Stealth user performs a Skill that allows AROs.

In the Fireteam rules, we have this.
    https://assets.infinitythegame.net/downloads/annexn4/en/v1.0/annexn4.pdf
    (2) All members of the Fireteam must declare and execute the same Short Skills of the Order, or Entire Order, as the Team Leader. If any of the Fireteam members does not meet the Requirements of a Skill declared during the Order, then they instead perform an Idle instead of that Skill, while the others may act normally.

and

https://assets.infinitythegame.net/downloads/annexn4/en/v1.0/annexn4.pdf
    (3) When declaring Support Skills, only the Team Leader performs the Roll and applies its effects. The rest of the Fireteam members do not perform any Roll or apply any effects, but they give the Team Leader certain bonuses determined by the number of Fireteam members.

https://infinitythewiki.com/Stealth
    (4) In the Steath rule we have this.
    If the user declares a Short Movement Skill or Cautious Movement within the Zone of Control of one or more enemies and stays outside their LoF, he does not grant AROs to those enemies.

- - - - -

The interaction

A fireteam composed of a unit with Stealth and a unit without Stealth activates in the ZoC of my trooper (who doesn't have Sixth Sense)

If they declare Move as the first short skill, I am allowed (1) to declare my ARO right away and only have it resolve if the Stealth trooper performs a Skill that allows AROs. (So in this case, any non-Short Movement Skill)

However...

If they declare Shoot as the first short skill, as per the Fireteam rules, the entire fireteam declares the same skill (2), but only the Team Leader performs (3) will perform the skill.

Declaring a non-Movement skill at this point would void the Stealth (4) on the first part of the Order, allowing the opponent to declare an ARO versus the Stealth trooper.

- - - - -

Suggestion

This situations creates a break in the "All at onces" aspect of the game, where the order of the skills are important due to the interaction between "declaring" and "performing".

It would be solved if we could reword the Fireteam rule about declaring support skills to this: "When declaring Support Skills, only the Team Leader declares and performs the Roll and applies its effects."

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

So what? You've declared a non-Move skill and broken Stealth.

You might as well complain that you can't declare "BS Attack + Move" against the same targets that you can declare against using "Move+BS Attack".

inane.imp and chromedog like this.
  3. Diphoration

Warcor

I'm saying that with the current wording. Move + Shoot doesn't cancel Stealth for other Fireteam members, but Shoot + Move does.

With current wording, Stealth is breaking for secondary Fireteam Members when the leader is the one doing the shooting. But the exception of the FAQ only protects them on a certain order of skill Declaration.

Mahtamori likes this.
  4. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

This isn't a bug, it's an intentional design that all members of the link declare the skill even though only the link leader performs it, specifically because of things like breaking stealth.

You break stealth in both cases, it's just a matter of whether you do it before or after the ARO which is the active players prerogative, this is just how the game works, you can control the actions allowed to the reactive player based on what you choose to do with your first action.

inane.imp and chromedog like this.
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I have been wondering about the choice of words of the FAQ myself.

Small suggestion though: maybe edit the OP with a clear question to specify that this is about the FAQ and specifically about the difference between declaring and performing a skill.

6. pseudonymmster

Yeah, I had a hard time following what your point was.

I think the fix needs to be to the FAQ, in which the skill becomes valid if they “declare” a stealth-breaking skill.

But shoot + move can definitely useful, especially in a fireteam, as it can allow the other Fireteam members to safely cross the LoS of whatever you’re shooting at.

7. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes, the FAQ should have said 'declare'.

inane.imp, Tristan228 and chromedog like this.
  8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Awesome! Can move one more question to the (fully) answered piled

inane.imp and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Hey, thanks for doing this, mate.

10. Diphoration

Warcor

Thanks!

And just to be sure.

When a Fireteam declares a Support Skill, the entire team declares it (even if only the leader performs it)?

11. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Screenshot_20210328-085935_Firefox.jpg

I'd say this is quite clearly written

ijw and Diphoration like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation