1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaulting 'Over'

Discussion in 'Rules' started by spears, Mar 15, 2021.

1. CrazyNomad

CrazyNomad New Member

So there is no way anymore to look over the edge of a building and deny the opponent below cover?

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

There is a point though where the path changes from "over" to "along".

Personally, to my mind, that's probably the bases radius. I'll do a diagram to explain.

3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

For the question of whether the trooper below can claim cover when the trooper above is standing at the edge of the roof, see the discussion here: https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/move-over-edge-to-look-below.38296/page-5#post-388705

No definitive conclusion, but perhaps a mild consensus that the trooper below should not get cover.

4. inane.imp

upload_2021-3-17_23-27-54.png

* A is clearly vaulting over the parapet.
    * B is also, IMO, vaulting over the parapet: the black line shows that B's base crossed the obstacle within it's width. That seems to be a reasonable definition of 'over'.
    * D is not vaulting over the parapet: the three middle positions show movement along the obstacle. Moving along an obstacle like this is essentially attempting to 'squeeze' over something less than half a base width.

C is the ambiguous one. I honestly don't know if it is legal. I've done similar things before.

Attached Files:

5. spears

spears Well-Known Member

Just to make sure i'm reading this right. This is a birds eye view of a base vaulting the grey line, and you are trying to establish if the black line makes movement legal?

Are they not all legal if the grey line is lower than the models S?

inane.imp likes this.
  6. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

@inane.imp could you provide a key for what the grey and black lines are, or describe what's happening in more detail? It's... not immediately obvious what the diagrams are supposed to show... ;-)

inane.imp likes this.
  7. inane.imp

Sorry - spears got it correct. Birds eye view of the base, vaulting a linear obstacle (so a low wall). The black line shows the bottom of the base at the original start position.

8. inane.imp

So why I *think* D is not legal is because:
    • The Trooper’s base must always be in contact with the surface on which they intend to move.
    • Any surface they move on must be at least half as wide as their base.
    • Except they can move over any scenery item whose height is equal to or lower than the height of the Trooper’s Silhouette Template,
    D is moving along a surface that is not half as wide as their base; they aren't moving over. But that hinges on reading "over" in the sense of "across" as opposed to as a synonym for "on".

Consider these two examples. It's on a building (light grey) with a parapet (dark grey) and scatter that is bigger than E's SIL (Blue).

We know E1 is legal because E1's base is in contact with the surface that they intend to move and that surface is at least half as wide as their base.

In E2 the parapet they're moving on is not at least half as wide as their base, so it doesn't support "squeezing".

upload_2021-3-17_23-50-0.png

upload_2021-3-18_0-32-43.png

#28 inane.imp, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  9. inane.imp

@ijw did that explain what I'm asking about better?

10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It does, thank you. I think part of the confusion with your A-D examples is that you said 'parapet' instead of 'wall', which meant there was a whole bunch of missing information about what part of the diagram was rooftop, which was vertical walls etc... ;-)

Anyway...

I know the vaulting rules are very minimal/loose, but I'm not sure why you're adding restrictions that aren't mentioned in the vaulting text, or what they're supposed to achieve. All the Move and Obstacles section does is compare heights and where the Trooper ends up after the obstacle, not widths.

Your interpretation potentially excludes the first diagram as we don't know how wide the obstacles are (perpendicular to the path), and the obstacles are clearly 'longer' than the base:
    [​IMG]

It also leads to absurd situations where a piece of scatter terrain that's 1mm high and wide and longer than a Trooper's base would completely block a narrow alley to normal movement. You'd have to Jump over it or Climb along the wall of the alley.

11. inane.imp

@ijw Cheers! That cleared it up.

Follow up though:
    [​IMG]

Would this be legal for a trooper with C+ or if the right hand wall was a ladder?

In both situations the wall is treated as horizontal terrain for movement.

12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Climbing+ never hangs over the wall's edge, they get placed on the side of the wall when as soon as they step over the edge (and not for free), do they not?

13. inane.imp

Don't know.

In either situation you need to place the SIL so that its not fully supported because there is no free translation.

Basically if you measure it one way it's legal, if you measure it the other way its not (the result is the same distance).

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

No never.
    Move Rules require Base contact to the surface.

The last legal position with Silhouette upright for a C+ Trooper moving down a wall is this one:
    [​IMG]

After passing this point you have to have enough left over Movement to flip over and stand on the wall (ladder) or you can't proceed.

15. inane.imp

So, it flips over into this position and you then start measuring down the wall?

[​IMG]

IE in this situation it's moved to the edge of the wall +1mm and then back again.

Or, are you saying that if you move to the edge +1mm the SIL is placed here?

[​IMG]

In which case it strongly implies that the distance (if this was instead a Climb+ Move all the way down) would be 1 base width less.

If what you're saying is that the SIL moves here at +1mm and then doesn't leave this position until +25mm (or that it stays on top for +1mm-+25mm measurement) then you're no longer measuring from the same point on the base.

Any which way you cut it, the transition from horizontal to "horizontal" has to be an exception to some of the general principles of the General Movement Rules.

#35 inane.imp, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  16. Mahtamori

The silhouette is never unsupported, you've painted the silhouette unsupported. Edit: you've no longer painted it unsupported :)

#36 Mahtamori, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  17. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

I swear to god I'm gonna animate a diagram about measuring Climbing+ movement paths over railings so help me

Nuada Airgetlam, inane.imp and Sirk like this.
  18. inane.imp

Ok. How far do I need to measure in that case?

How is that "measuring from the same point on the base"?

19. inane.imp

Honestly, that's probably the only way to do it.

The trouble is that I honestly don't think anyone knows what it should look like. People claim to, but I see zero evidence that it's how it's supposed to work because literally everything explanation breaks a genetal rule somewhere.

20. Mahtamori

All the ground that your unit uses for support; the horizontal distance to the edge and then the vertical distance from the edge and downwards.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation