1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resin printed bases (55mm in particular)

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Willen, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am super excited about the possibilities of my new resin printer, but I am not finding in any Patreon or related site (looking at all the nice ones, Unit9, Cyberforge, etc) and 55mm does not look to be very popular. Any suggestion for whom does that base size?

Thanks!

2. Biomckill

Biomckill Well-Known Member

3. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Yes, but I am looking at recomendations of bases sets that have 55mm options.

All the sets I am finding provide 25, 32, 40, 50 and 60mm bases and scaling is not that nice if you try to keep the relative scale.

4. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Can't you edit 60mm by cropping it to 55?
    No scale issue this way.

Mob of Blondes and Biomckill like this.
  5. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

55 is pretty rare, since to the best of my knowledge, Infinity is the only game that uses it. You may also have some luck contacting the creators of some of the base sets you mentioned and asking if they are open to adding a new size.

LaughinGod and Willen like this.
  6. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Could be an option, I would have to learn to do it but yeah.

Kinda figured it... well, I will have to either learn to do 3D editing or contacting the creators. I guess no 55mm bases are around (didn´t know only Infinity used that base size).

7. Shingen

Shingen Well-Known Member

You can find a couple of different designs of Infinity bases on Thingivese, including my ultrasimple triple-hex ones.

But honestly don’t be afraid of scaling. 50 or 60 mm base scaled either way by (ca.) 10% won’t lose its detail. If you don’t want to add height to the base by scaling, just turn off the “lock ratio” function in chitubox (or whatever slicer you use) and only scale in x and y planes (leave z as is).

And what I would advise, you can also download free Microsoft app called 3d Builder. It has some very powerful tools (like geometry repair) but for bases you’ll mostly use a tool which works like a cookie cutter – that way you can cut out bases of desired shapes and sizes. Using this tool you can have bases made out of any other design you own – like for example all the OPEN LOCK and similar dungeon systems’ floor tiles. It takes 10 minutes per base. If you want to do it and need some help, just ask, I’ll try to put some tutorial together.

jherazob, toadchild and Willen like this.
  8. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Thanks!!! I will see what I can do and it it proves difficult I will PM you. I have 3D Builder actually, will try to find that function.

9. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

As Koin-Koin said, crop. AKA boolean. Get a 55mm blank with extra cylinder on top (for proper angled sides at the bottom), apply to 3D thing that is bigger via intersection operation. If you have a plain blank, the cylinder is just extruding the top faces.

Another tip: use something with looooooooooots of polygons on the side, so it approximates a circle correctly, instead of looking obviously polygonal. 55m means ~173mm, so use 1730 edges to get 0.1 mm faces. for example.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

The big benefit to contacting creators is that if they are willing to make the update, it adds the option for everyone else in the future.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation