1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Total Immunity vs. Flash Pulse

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Hecaton, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Commoner1

Commoner1 Well-Known Member

That is my opinion with a caveat. There is no scooting around with the template. You have to declare the attack and put down the template immediately. No finagling or pushing around. Just declaring the BS attack and putting down the template immediately.

@ijw I'd really appreciate an answer to that, although it might seem superfluous. It's been annoying me for years by now, because it easily messes up the order execution steps. :-)

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Ah! Yeah, you don’t get to wiggle the template around to find the best spot.

3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Damn, I've seen that done way too often and done this a few time myself. Had no idea.

What's the specific rules reason please so that I could quote this to people?

4. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

You're gonna want to quote the impact template rules, they say when to place the template.

https://infinitythewiki.com/Impact_Template_Weapons

upload_2021-2-27_11-18-52.png

At the point at which you declare an attack, you have to designate what the target is; in this case, often a point on the table.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Unless that Total Immune is caused by SymbioMates? Because losing the SymnioMate is surely being affected by the attack.

Also, it's been pointed out that a Flash Pulse vs Total Immune is logically the same as a Pheroblaster vs STR.

So *shrug* IDK.

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There is a very important difference in choice of words. Biomunitions says it can't affect troopers with STR, not that STR troopers are immune to the effects.

inane.imp likes this.
  7. Nuada Airgetlam

Yeah, but the way I've seen it played, which could be "technically legal" from this rule wording, was indicating a target model and then wiggling the template around to see how many more models they can get ("him and what else? him and these two here like that, or him and this one on the other side", etc.).

Is that illegal as well?

8. konuhageruke

konuhageruke Well-Known Member
    Warcor

there is a difference on the impact template and direct template.
    With direct - you can do that.
    With impact templates - you select the main target or a specific point on the table and then place the template - no wiggling there. (exxeption: Speculative attack)

colbrook likes this.
  9. pseudonymmster

Not sure if the original question was answered, but Immunity doesn't kick in unless there was a successful attack (requirements of immunity below). So it's after the relevant f2f. (That's how I see it, anyways.)

https://infinitythewiki.com/Immunity
    Requirements:
    • The Trooper must make a Saving Roll.
    • The Trooper is affected by the State indicated in their Immunity

inane.imp likes this.
  10. pseudonymmster

Not logically the same. Bioweapon, the trait Pheroblaster has, specifically says it "only affects those targets possessing the Wounds Attribute"

This is different than Immunity, which, as stated above, is only triggered after a successful f2f.

I don't know whether Phero vs STR should be f2f, but I'm suspecting not.

inane.imp likes this.
  11. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Does it cause Guts (even optionally)?

In review I suspect not.

I'm with you on Immunity (Total) BTW. The Trooper with Immunity (Total) does not benefit from the skill until the Requirements are met: the Requirements are only met AFTER a FTF is failed (and a saving throw would consequently be required).

12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

For smoke grenades, you are using “targetless”, which says you have to pick a point on the table as your target. So that point has to be chosen up front.

For speculative shot it’s a little less clear, since you nominate an enemy model as your primary target, but then place the template off-center.

13. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I disagree, since the rule reads differently:

https://infinitythewiki.com/Religious_Troop?version=n4
    Courage would imply you needing to roll, however, since the wording specifies "Courage allows its user to choose to automatically pass any Guts Rolls", which would mean the roll happens, but is passed regardless of what the dice would show up.

14. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

This text requires there to be a Guts Roll. Because you can't automatically pass something that isn't happening. So Religious Troops do take Guts Rolls, which they automatically pass.

For there to be no Guts Roll it would need to say something like 'The user does not make Guts Rolls.'.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  15. Nuada Airgetlam

@xagroth
    For a real life example, consider university entry exams, which can give results of 0-200 pts (this is out Guts roll).

Everyone needs to take the exam to get a place at their chosen faculty (the Guts roll is required). There are some special cases though, people who were awarded in National Olympics contests in high school (Religious Troops), who are guaranteed 200 points in this exam and don't need to write it (they automatically pass Guts test and no actual physical roll is required).

The test is still required, the result is known ahead of time (pass), no roll is required.

Once again, it's an issue with unclear phrasing / terminology used by CB in rule text. There should be a maintained distinction between a Guts test and a Guts roll (and its result). Here, unfortunately, CB calls the test itself a Roll and the act of making that test also a Roll.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation