1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impetuous vs Peripherals

Discussion in 'Rules' started by nazroth, Feb 17, 2021.

1. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

Hey folks, I have some doubts about Impetuous movement vs Peripherals.

Periphera:
    Impetuous:
    The way I see it: If a Controller and Synchronized Peripherals get activated in Impetuous phase, they are all subject to Impetuous movement rules, will follow the guidelines respectively on their own, trying to get to CC, then to enemy DZ... etc. Let's use a Chimera and Pupniks as an example to present my beef with this. Below is an example.

[​IMG]
    (1: how Chimera and 2 Pupniks are deployed / 2: Impetuous movement to enemy DZ / 3: Introduced Enemy to the equation, then movement)

In a world of flat board there's no issue. You deploy in Coherency, activate during Impetuous phase, move forward, gg.
    If by any chance you figured it would be a good idea to hide a controller behind cover but spread peripherals widely for protection and area denial - there's a huge chance some peripherals will go disconnect, which seems legit. Let's say you're meant to keep them close and anticipate such situation.

My beef is with instances, where an enemy moves into reach of one Peripheral during opponent's turn. Then on Controller's turn Impetuous phase, such Peripheral will break coherency and go into CC with enemy Trooper, whereas Controller and the rest of Peripherals will do their own thing leaving the CC engaged Peripheral on it's own. This is highly counter intuitive. Feels wrong. Sure, can be avoided by ignoring Impetuous activation - but shouldn't combat and enemy up close be priority for crazy bloodlust troops? Seriously? They run wild all the time, but once a single one of them has enemy in reach, they're suddenly calm and cool with it - "wait for us bro, let's take it slow from now on"?

I know I mix feelings with rules and I could have messed things up. Talked this through with a friend, who used to judge some events where I live. We both feel off by this.

I would ask you folks to confirm if this is how it works, and if not - describe how it is supposed to work instead.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

#1 nazroth, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  2. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

If it's any consolation, remember that coherency is no longer re-checked until the end of the order. So the pupnik will still get to make its cc attack against its target.

Then with subsequent orders the chimera can move over the cc the target, also reconnecting the pupnik when it gets close.

Narrative-wise I suppose YMMV. To me it doesn't seem off that the crazy bloodlust guy would want to still charge at the enemy army like he always does, while also sending his little murder friend to go murder the guy who's too far away for him to bother with himself. But honestly, Impetuous has never made a lot of narrative sense anyway.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

...on the other hand you get a massive points discount on the Chimera and on each Pupnik as well as an extra order that you can forfeit if you have suspicions it'll desynch the Pupniks and they no longer need to jump to their death if you start at an elevated position...

But yeah, bloodlust takes precedence, the Pupnik who can get into CC will get into CC and then cower in fear as it is desynched at the end of the order, while the rest keeps on trying to get to where the enemies live without caring about leaving their misbegotten kin behind.

4. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Correct. This was also true in N3, and is the downside of them being absurdly cheap. There is no text in the Peripheral rule to override this. So yes, it's up to the player to choose whether to try and cover a large area, at the cost of potentially not wanting to use their Impetuous activation.

N4 Impetuous only cares about enemy Troopers within a single Move, or the enemy DZ. Enemies more than a Move away are completely irrelevant to the Impetuous activation direction.

Edited for minor typos...

#4 ijw, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Mahtamori and Willen like this.
  5. nazroth

Yes, was thinking on mid-late game, or infiltrators/AD baiting Pupniks out of Chimera's ZOC.

6. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes, that's the choice you have to make. But to bait the Pupniks they have to get within 6" so will be in ZoC, so the Pupniks can often react with Dodge AROs to get 3" further back, on PH16.

7. nazroth

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know it is intended.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation