1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barid Hacker

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by QueensGambit, Jan 14, 2021.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I've been running the boring, no-thought-required, Hassassin core link in almost every list:

I'm a fireteam
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    [​IMG]5 [​IMG]1
    GHULAM (NCO) Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1 | 15)
    BARID (Hacker, Hacking Device) Rifle, Pitcher ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0.5 | 17)
    BARID (Hacker, Killer Hacking Device [UPGRADE: Trinity (-3)]) Rifle, Pitcher ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 15)
    YARA HADDAD (Strategic Deployment) AP Marksman Rifle / Heavy Pistol(+1B), CC Weapon. (0 | 28)
    MUYIB (Tactical Awareness, X Visor) Heavy Rocket Launcher, D-Charges ( ) / Pistol, CC Weapon. (1.5 | 25)
    3 SWC | 100 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

Now, I love the killer hacker. Most games he doesn't do anything, but for 15 points that's just fine. And every so often I have first turn against Nomads and... damn. Insta-killing the enemy lieutenant just feels very HB.

But, I'm starting to have my doubts about the other hacker. He's cheap, and he has a pitcher, so it's not like he's a bad unit. My problem is that he really wants to defend against first-turn rambos, but HB doesn't have the repeater net to make that work. It's easy to set up repeaters using the pitchers in later turns, but they're less necessary at that point.

I suppose that, if going second against a hackable rambo, I could deploy the KHD in a sacrificial overwatch position. He'd get gunned down, but would ARO by tossing out two repeaters for the other hacker to use. Has anyone tried that? In theory it could work, but I'm loathe to throw away a unit that quickly.

I'm considering replacing the hacker with either a second KHD, or some other unit entirely. There are several Ghulams who are cheaper than him and would have a lot to contribute.

What are you experiences with the Barid Hacker?

2. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I've never particularly regretted taking one; it's incredibly dependable and one of the best pieces for cost in the game. Also, I'm addicted to guided missiles. It's a problem.

That said, if you've got slots in your list, it's often good to split the two different hacking devices apart so they aren't in the same link, because you run into link-splitting ARO issues if someone comes at you either through your lone fanous repeater or by dropping repeaters on your link. If you've got the points for it, subbing out either of the hackers for an Asawira Doctor would add some spice to that link.

Also, if you wanted to try out different hacking options in HB, a Govad Hacker (linked or unlinked) is pretty cute if you can get it forward under smoke thanks to its MSV1. Get close to someone and you can fork them between dodging your shotgun templates, and resetting against a hacking/spotlight attempt.

3. RobertShepherd

The only thing I don't think I'd often do is run a second Barid KHD. It's an exceptional piece but at least locally, I don't feel I'd ever need two. One is enough to do whatever I need.

4. QueensGambit

I think you and I have been running very similar lists, except that I always take a Farzan CoC and you never do. Dropping the Farzan would give me the points for an Asawira in the link, which has a lot of appeal. I fear loss of lieutenant, though. Have you found your lts to be vulnerable without the Farzan? What are you doing to protect them?

RobertShepherd likes this.
  5. RobertShepherd

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but I'm mostly just not letting my lieutenants die. I've been in Loss with Hassassins I think maybe twice so far; both times because I extended the core link too early and got either caught in enfilade or in one case just straight nuked by plasma after I misjudged template range. In both cases I was able to bleed out enough command tokens to triage the situation for a win.

For reference, both the last two lists I've played have just used generic ghulam lieutenants in a core link, with the decoy provided by the ample other models that can also all be the lieutenant (barid/asawira/haddad). Provided the core link doesn't get ballsy too early, and I push up with other elements, that's usually pretty safe.

QueensGambit likes this.
  6. Natsymir

Natsymir Well-Known Member

The Barid Killer Hacker seem like a good candidate for the best killer hicker in the entire game, given his amazing -3 and 15 pts...

The Lieutenant Hacker, which used to be my favourite, has lost some appeal as he can't buff robots anymore, but remains an interesting profile.

I don't think the regular hacker is necessary for first turn-Rambo defense though, as Haqq has tons of deployment zone defense options already.

7. QueensGambit

Yeah, and we don't have the repeater network for anti-rambo hacking defense. We can use Yara to shove the hacker forward, but he's still not that hard to go around, or kill with a KHD. I feel like defensive hacking is more about the repeater network than the hackers themselves.

He seems good if you want to use him to attack HI and TAGs in your active turn using the pitcher. Or bring a guided missile bot and attack everyone using the pitcher. So it may be a playstyle thing. I dropped him from my lists after finding he wasn't giving me the defense I wanted, and I seem to prefer other ways of attacking over hacking.

(The KHD otoh is still an auto-include for me. I agree he's one of the best in the game.)

Yeah, I guess if you're using him for offensive hacking, it's one more order to spend on Oblivion or Total Control. Seems consistent with the theme that Barid hackers are good for offense but not defense :-)

Errhile likes this.
  8. RobertShepherd

Don't underestimate this. We don't have a midfield repeater network, it's true, but the most important area to protect is the terminal approach into your deployment zone, which you can cover from your deployment zone (this being the optimal point to stop a rambo - after they've expended the most orders on their attack run, and where they're most vulnerable to counter-attack).

Terminal approach coverage tends to need only a surprisingly limited amount of resources. In vanilla I'll typically have one Fanous, sometimes Saladin, sometimes a Kameel and then the Hacker themselves and that's usually enough for total DZ coverage with some redundancy.

9. QueensGambit

True enough. I'm thinking in HB terms, so Saladin is out, and I'm rarely bringing a Kameel - too many other units want to be in those 15 slots. So for me, it's the Barid himself and a Fanous, which isn't great DZ coverage.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by my secondary faction, SAA. 3 flashbots and two hackers in the DZ puts HB to shame... and that's if you don't also use a Peacemaker to put a repeater in the midfield. (And then of course in my most recent game I forgot all about hacking and lost most of my army to a rambo while the hackers stood by...)

xagroth and RobertShepherd like this.
  10. Natsymir

Defensive hacking is perhaps not haqq's strongest suite, but their repeater network can actually become pretty great once they have gotten to spend a few orders, thanks to the amazingly cheap dual Barids - and, especially, the fantastic Hunzakut. I see little reason not to field a Hunzakut in every single list, as (s)he's such a great toolbox.

Brokenwolf likes this.
  11. QueensGambit

This thread is making me think I'd like the Barid hacker more in Vanilla! In N3 vanilla I didn't use the Hunzakut, but she does look great in N4.

Otoh, in Vanilla I might also prefer the Ghulam hacker since she has a shotgun. Relying on an unlinked pitcher isn't to my taste.

12. Natsymir

That's a valid point, I hadn't even thought about the Ghulam hacker. I've often run two Barids in vanilla (one KHD, one basic), plus a Hunzakut, and that now seems quite redundant. If I'm gonna run a Hunzakut or a KHD Barid anyway, the Ghulam hacker sure is a better choice than another Barid - unless, of course, I really want a hacker lieutenant.

QueensGambit likes this.
  13. sackofowls

sackofowls Member

I think what keeps people from using the Hunzakut is the Irregular order. Mainly because there are so many good Irregular options (Daylami, Kim, Mutts) that you can end up with too many.

Though I think Saladin helps with that a lot.

14. M0rk4

M0rk4 Member

I usually do not have room for hunzakut. Zulyeka, a couple of daylamis and a liberto take all the irregular orders spot.

I still use the barid KHD. The pitcher or a fanous can be a great help to unblock situations.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation