1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mission 1 - what did we play wrong?

Discussion in 'General' started by Quirk, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Quirk

Quirk squirrel
    Warcor

[​IMG]
    Guess what happened next? (Hint: there is also a Gwailos just outside of the picture)

None of the defiance crew survived. Qian opened the door and shot one of the Nox leaders inside, team red (Jazz, Vaarah and also Billie for good measure) rushed through and soon after that Sheskiin activated with the 0 aggro allies Billie and Vaarah high on her priorities list. Both were disintegrated and we decided to let the Defiance crew all go down guns blazing for this timeline and start another one.

Worst thing is we don't see how we could change that outcome for the next try. We know now how to save the pilot but how would Vaarah ever survive? Did we get something wrong? When you talk to the Sygmaa Sheskiin immediately spawns and her card gets added to the initiative deck. When she activates the same turn she moves 7, attacks, moves 7 more and attacks again - all with one recently rescued Sygmaa high on her priority list (because of her having 0 Aggro and being an ally). Not to speak of the Gwailo spawning shortly before that and alert 4 adding to the general number of spawning enemies. Do you know of any battle report I might study to see where we took the wrong turn?

#1 Quirk, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

Oops, toddler mashed my phone and made me post early without realizing. See below.

#2 LankyOgreBP, Jan 31, 2021
  3. LankyOgreBP

If I remember right, Sheskin uses a normal AI card, so your description of her actions is a little confusing. I'm thinking that when I played, she didn't reach anybody the first turn. (Teach me to go by memory)
    I was able to keep the reinforcement pool pretty under control, so there weren't a lot of things spawning.
    Also remember that if the "acquire target" instruction is drawn, she won't move if she already has somebody in LOS and Range, so you can keep Qiang Gao near the door to soak.

#3 LankyOgreBP, Jan 31, 2021
    Quirk likes this.
  4. Quirk

Quirk squirrel
    Warcor

That would help alot. But the last section of page 21 says: Units with AI printed on their Initiative card get dealt an AI card only for thinning the deck but they use their own AI. And Sheskiin's AI makes her move+shoot twice.

5. LankyOgreBP

I went and checked before seeing your response because I've been thinking about it.
    You can still try to put somebody in the door to soak an attack and block LOS.
    It also looks like you have a LOT of nox still on the table. I made sure to clear most of them and tuck people into the shuttle before grabbing her.

#5 LankyOgreBP, Jan 31, 2021
    Quirk likes this.
  6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

We dragged Vaarah's unconscious body onto the Stalker. The mission says that she can be unconscious as long as she's on the A00 tile.

Quirk likes this.
  7. Quirk

Quirk squirrel
    Warcor

Thank you very much for the valuable hints and pointers. The second attempt is about to start tonight and we will make sure to:
    - get Sheskiin's movement right / have Qiang in the right position to soak her damage
    - get rid of more of the Nox first
    - remember that an unconscious Vaarah counts as rescued *facepalm* (We would have won the last one with 2 or 3 heroes profiting from "no one is left behind")

That many Nox were alive because we were more intimidated by the max Aggro spilling any excess over into recruitment than we were by those Nox already on the table. Smart? Maybe not. (See question below) Anyway, we didn't really do the math for that yesterday. Instead our brains busy with processing a new game's rules defaulted many decisions to the story. And Cuervo told us: "smuggle her to safety" not "go and leroy jenkins her out". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sending Nox to the recruitment stack went way up the priority list for today.

Btw, follow up questions:
    • Is there any way to get rid of Aggro?
    • And if not: Is my "math" correct here? A unit of Nox with 4 HP each will on average need 3 attacks (= 3 Aggro) to go down (=1 Aggro) so they leave the table for 4 Aggro and then they are respawned for 3 Aggro. => Once the buffer provided by max Aggro is full does a unit ox Nox generate roughly 4 recruitment points while costing only 3? Only way out I see here is killing one with the first shot and allowing the other to flee which would still generate 2 RP at least.

#7 Quirk, Jan 31, 2021
  8. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

When you go unconscious, you lose all your Aggro. Also, there's an item you can get in Loot crates called "False Information" (AKA "Fake News") that removes Aggro. Qiang Gao can pull Aggro off of friendlies and move them to him as well.

Keep in mind if you attack twice (or more) in one activation, you still only gain 1 Aggro. Also note that the units of Nox in the 1st mission are only made up of 2 Nox each.

Quirk likes this.
  9. LankyOgreBP

With Qiang Gao pulling aggro to himself, I didn't have a lot of trouble keeping the reinforcement pool low. I think I got more from the retreat rule and the end of round than anything else.
    The cadmus was a little difficult to keep off the table.

I have noticed that ignoring full units and letting them pile up is not a very good strategy.

Quirk and Hecaton like this.
  10. Quirk

Quirk squirrel
    Warcor

Took a while for us to do a second try but this time 3 heroes, a pilot and a certain Sygmaa HVT made their escape. Good thing Billie is already down so he does not have to watch what happens to Qiang next. Thank you all for hints and advice. I think we have a better grasp of the flow of the game now (especially the end game state of constant respawns).
    Mission1.jpg

Croepoek likes this.
  11. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

It’s usually better to kill enemies than leave them around

12. Croepoek

Croepoek Well-Known Member

I made the experience it is sometimes quite handy to leave one enemy of a unit alive in case there is no respawn possible (e.g. Taiga in mission 2). Helps to not get burdened in constant reinforcements. But of course depends on the situation :)

LankyOgreBP likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation