1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Seed-Embryos do anything?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hecaton, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Seed-Embryos deploy via Surprise Attack, and only flip when they suffer damage. Until they suffer damage, can they carry out instructions?

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The activation they arrive, the seed embryo is just going to get placed and then not do anything (because it doesn't have an attack on its card, and that's all Surprise Attack lets it try to do).

If it somehow manages to get to its next activation without triggering explode or suffering damage, then they'll try to follow instructions but won't be able to do anything useful. You're basically just going to skip through the instructions until you get one that makes you move 0 and be done.

I don't know if the seed embryo should be house ruled to just hatch on its next activation, or if it should just have to sit there.

Disclaimer: There's one instruction card with an invalid symbol on it, and no instruction cards with the retreat symbol.

3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

:white_frowning_face:

4. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Due to surprise attack, they deploy near last activated character, explode, then flip the card over to become seed soldier. Thus they are always active straight away. Any damage they retained as an embryo carries over.

5. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That’s not what explode and surprise attack say to do. Explode isn’t an attack, and explode doesn’t trigger off of a character that has -previously- activated.

Although I suppose that according to the Evil AI rule, you should be put the seed next to the character you want to activate next (or at least one that hasn’t activated next).

To be fair, there’s at least one unit ability which says to Retreat, using the Retreat instruction symbol. And I could see it going on units with custom instruction lists.

Still don’t know what the unknown symbol is, though.

6. archangeleong

My friend you are correct but slightly mistaken also. Apologies but I just jotted down quickly what happens from memory, however I am correct to a point in explaining how the seed embryo behaves but I should elaborate.

With a surprise attack you deploy next to the most recently activated character. You then ignore the AI card instructions and attack The most recently activated character.

Now of course your only ability at this point would be explode but this may not happen since the character has already activated. Explosion occurs when any character activates within 1-2 spaces, so if another character activates within range the seed embryo explodes then the card flips over to a Seed soldier and he can use AI card as normal in the next round

However if no character activates in range nothing will happen to the embryo and he is vulnerable to getting shot and wounded which would flip his card over and he can use the AI as normal in the next round. This way the players have a chance to flip him over when he deploys to mitigate the possible negative impact of the explosion.

The players could also ignore him entirely in the round he deploys, however he will always explode in the next round as soon as the character that he deployed next to activates as this will be in range of the explosion. After this his card will flip and he will behave under AI as normal.

So it may be a complicated conjunction of rules that forms how the seed embryo/soldier behaves but he basically arrives and explodes then behaves normally under the AI rules. His vulnerability when he arrives represents the risk/reward in dealing with his threat of exploding your characters.

One point to remember is that his card will flip over if he explodes or if he takes a wound. And he always deploys within exploding range which is why he is a threat to you when he is in seed form.

hope that makes sense. It took me a while to work it out also.

upload_2021-1-6_23-47-28.jpeg

#6 archangeleong, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    MickMountain and Bellyflop like this.
  7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

There are (possibly unlikely) sequences of events where the seed’s initiative card will get flipped while it’s still in seed form. It’s a bit more likely in higher alert, when a unit activated before the players go.

I think that’s the source of the original complaint, and the simplest solution is probably to house errata that the seed gets to hatch if it activates on its second turn deployed (so it can follow instructions normally).

8. archangeleong

it will always hatch due to exploding on the 2nd turn it deploys since it has to deploy next to a character and in range of an explosion (unless you don’t activate the character for the rest of the game which is unlikely). No need for a house rule.

9. MickMountain

MickMountain Member

How do you read explosion?
    As far as I can tell, you roll the die and apply damage, no defence dice involve, right?

10. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

Exactly. It works like the various grenades. It's not a roll of any sort that allows switches either. All you are looking for is successes.

archangeleong likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation