1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Good Guys Wear Orange - An RTF Blog

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Grotnib, Oct 29, 2020.

1. exiti

exiti Mad Scientist Gorilla

I just want to thank you for your work on this blog, keep it up.

Grotnib likes this.
  2. Grotnib

Grotnib Well-Known Member

Thanks man, comments like that mean the world to me!

3. Grotnib

This week I'm taking it back to the basics, and take a closer look at the Naffatûns!

4. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Grotnib and Xeurian like this.
  5. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

The new FAQ certainly makes them even more appealing - remember, when you put a Namurr in a fireteam, you also benefit from extra movement orders (with Mov 6) if your Khawaij or Janissary team are advancing up the board anyway - and RTF can pull off some great order efficiencies with special fireteams and wildcards.

Grotnib likes this.
  6. Grotnib

This can most certainly help ruin a CA player's day! :D

True! The ability of ferry several dangerous models across the board at same time and have them remain active on your opponent's turn are (atlest to me) some of the great strenghts of RTF!

7. Grotnib

This week I went on a bit of a rant by going through my thoughts on why (to me) Every Unit Has It's Place in RTF, but fear not; next week will see me return to the Unit Focus series!

8. Freebootas

Freebootas Well-Known Member

Really liked reading through this. Tons of gloom and doom over certain Haqq units and profiles on here most of the time, so your article is a breath of fresh air. I have already seen tons of people writing off RTF in N4, which honestly is a good thing since most opponents won't even know half the units we use.

Danger Rose and Grotnib like this.
  9. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

I really want to figure out the Infinity term that's equivalent to "Theory-hammer"... "Theor-finity" just doesn't roll off the tongue...

Grotnib likes this.
  10. LoganGarnett

LoganGarnett Well-Known Member

How about Infinimath?
    Or Theor-Belli as a broader term?

Grotnib likes this.
  11. Grotnib

I'm very glad you liked it! :)

Yea, I really don't get the doom and gloom! RTF is an awesome, thematic, and fun to play sectorial! Then again, it truly is nice to be the challenger rather than the champion when it comes to these things...

Please let me know when you figure this one out, there is a huge demand for such a term! ;)

12. LoganGarnett

LoganGarnett Well-Known Member

Maybe Infiniretics? Like in Theoretics?

But I got carried away. Initially wanted to praise the effort that went into these articles ;)
    I try to be positive about the less popular profiles and units, but I'm easily swayed into despair after reading up on comments like "Why would you ever pick X and not Y? That's just trolling".

So, I really appreciate what you do, it's really uplifting :D

Grotnib likes this.
  13. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Locally, we call it 'dojo'. Helps that it's a suitably universal term that you can use it for any wargame.

Examples of use:
    "I'm deep in the dojo on this all-regenerating, no-doctors Haqq list. But I think it might be jank."
    "Man, that's some good dojo. Try it out."

Grotnib likes this.
  14. Koval

Koval Well-Known Member

Theorycraft is another term that applies to a variety of games, but is mostly just about listbuilding.

Grotnib likes this.
  15. Grotnib

It's great to hear that I can be a positive influence on someone! That's what I've aimed to be, as I've also found that the critical voices tend to be pretty prevalent in the (RTF) community! I really hope that I can continue to be worth your praise!

RobertShepherd likes this.
  16. Grotnib

That might truly be a term worth exploring!

On a different note, I really appreciate the commented (or self played) games you put out on youtube; they're an excellent source of top level commentary on the game!

RobertShepherd likes this.
  17. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Thanks man - they're fun to make; I'm really glad people are enjoying them. :)

18. Grotnib

This week's article is out, and it sees me return to the RTF's supersoldiers by taking a look at the Mukhtars!

Cadwallon, Wizzy, infyrana and 2 others like this.
  19. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Red Fury Mukhtar is, like, the whole point of Mukhtars. In N3 she was one of the best units in the game for her price. People complain that she's not good against high ARM in N4, but that was true in N3 as well and she was still excellent. Even in N4, most targets are low ARM so there will really only be two or three troopers on the other side of the table that the Mukhtar can't crack. And you have lots of smoke to avoid those targets and focus on murdering everyone else.

As a vanilla player I always liked her as a solo piece. Part of her appeal is that you can drive her up the table on a spree, then just leave her in suppression. Your opponent will spend some orders and kill her, but you don't care, she's already done her job and you only lose one unit. RTF players seem to prefer her in fireteams, which is also good although you have to play her more conservatively.

The purpose of Doctor Mukhtar is to be in a fireteam with the Red Fury. He can doctor them both, and also do objectives. A duo makes a lot of sense here, although the RTF players I've faced seem to prefer a full haris.

Your idea to run the Doctor solo with Nasmats is interesting. In theory you could get order efficiency by moving up to do objectives while simultaneously healing troops elsewhere on the table. But the boarding shotgun seems poorly suited to that role. You propose to go on a killing spree with a solo Doctor, but that's hard to do with a shotgun, plus you can't go into suppression when you're done. I'm skeptical, but would be interested to see a battle report showcasing a solo Doctor Mukhtar.

The other profiles are fireteam filler; I can't imagine running any of them solo. The hacker is all right, but the Hawwa is better and cheaper. Or if you're feeling spendy you could splurge on a Tuareg. The point of the Mukhar hacker would be to follow the Red Fury around.

20. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

@QueensGambit:
    - the Red Fury loadout isn't the end-all, be-all. If you're not playing an army with lots of mimetism then one of the big draws (MSV2) isn't super useful, and there are other red fury, spitfire options
    - having a 6-2, mim -3, boarding shotgun that can heal himself from NWI is nothing to sneeze at
    - the Al'Hawwa isn't available in RTF
    - Ex: Playing Unmasking and taking the hacker mukhtar, the Tuareg would be a waste (infiltration is basically useless) and if I need a forward red fury I can take a Nahab

Grotnib likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation