1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a character gain aggro more than once per activation?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hecaton, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

The rules seem to imply that you gain aggro each time you interact with a console, but you also gain it forndealing at least 1 wound to an enemy. If you deal onr wound multiple times (say by attacking twice) do characters gain more than one point of aggro?

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

I think you gain 1 Aggro each time you inflict 1 or damage to a unit during your own activation, where the entire resolution of an attack roll and switches is “one time”.

So the “deal one damage to an adjacent unit” is a second Aggro, but dealing an extra damage to your target isn’t. But a lucky hit off a blue die in defense isn’t a point of Aggro.

3. Bellyflop

Bellyflop Well-Known Member

You can only gain 1 aggro per activation. The way it is written is you gain 1 aggro if you did ANY of the following, not EACH of the following. Otherwise Uma would go over her aggro cap in round 2 every game.

archangeleong and Croepoek like this.
  4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That argument doesn't work, especially when you look at the higher alert levels:
    3. Interacting with Consoles adds two [Aggro] tokens instead of one.​

5. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

One per activation but it changed to an additional per console at higher alert level.

6. Hecaton

That's not how it's written at all. The language for the Aggro gained for dealing damage is written that way, potentially (it feels ambiguous) but the Aggro gained for interacting with consoles is definitely once per Interact action.

7. archangeleong

The rules are not crystal clear here but the way the paragraph in the rule book is structured in the aggro section it appears that you gain only one aggro per character activation (until the alert level adds one additional aggro per console activation).

The game just plays better this way.

I have played about half the missions and when I first played I was adding an aggro per console activation (as well as per wound lol) and the game just got bogged down with respawns occurring too fast resulting in no reward for taking out enemies.

Better to add only one aggro imho if you want the game to be fun.

You can go hardcore if you want and add lots of aggro and lots of respawns but it bogs everything down as you kill things and they instantly respawn. Tbh this just makes the game suck.

#7 archangeleong, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    toadchild and Bellyflop like this.
  8. Hecaton

I don't agree at all. In fact, it's structured in a way that indicates that isn't the case.

9. archangeleong

toi can pile on the aggro if you want but the game is not much fun

10. Hecaton

We're talking about how it's written here.

11. LankyOgreBP

LankyOgreBP Well-Known Member

On page 28, under Aggro, it states that characters gain 1 Aggro
    If during their activation they inflict at least 1 wound to an enemy. (Not per enemy, not per wound, not per Action)
    When they perform the Interact Action with a console.

So if you attack twice and activate switches doing 1 damage to each of 5 different enemy units, you would gain 1 aggro total.
    If you spend both actions to activate a console twice, then you gain two aggro.

12. archangeleong

The rule is not crystal clear. It says characters gain 1 aggro during activation if: •they cause 1 wound. •Interact with a console.

It is not stated specifically if they interact with console twice they get 2 aggro, only that during the activation 1 aggro is gained if an interaction occurs.

There is no and/or between the two dot points either which is why many people are interpreting that multiple aggro is gained for shooting and hacking in the same turn (as well as multiple aggro for multiple console interactions). So they would be right to assume this given the language of the text.

However given the sometimes confusing way the rules are written and likely translation issues you could also assume that the intention of the rule has not been stated clearly. Furthermore you could argue that given that other game conditions such as alert levels can double aggro scored, it is implicit that only 1 is gained under normal conditions.

Having played quite a few games and seen how fast reinforcements and aggro piles on in later rounds and higher alert levels and how this bogs down the game i have found it better to limit the aggro to 1 per activation in normal conditions. It just plays better.

However if you want to interpret the rules to the (imperfect) letter then you might want to add more aggro.

Ultimately how you interpret the rules doesn’t really matter to anyone else but yourself and the circle of people you are playing with so long as you are all in agreement. So long as the game is fun for you go ahead and play it the way you want (it’s not like it is a tournament competitive game experience).

MickMountain, Law Dawg and toadchild like this.
  13. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Yeah, if the rule said when or whenever, then sure, 2 points for doing both. Since it's an if with bullet points, those are boundary conditions. You get a single point, and only a single point, should any of those be breached.

14. LankyOgreBP

I guess i see it as crystal clear.
    Bullet point 1 says "if....during activation."
    Bullet point 2 says "when."

15. LankyOgreBP

But the second bullet point is "when". My imperfect memory, the "if" is not before the bullet points.

I'm at work, so I don't have my rulebook handy to copy the exact text.

16. archangeleong

The if applies to both bullet points in the PDF version of the rules (which is what I was reading) but it has changed to if and when in the printed version (just checked hard copy).

#16 archangeleong, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  17. Hecaton

Also remember, in theory you can interact with a console three times (since you can do it once per activation as a free action). So you could gain three aggro that way.

@Koni Any chance of a clarification on this or some other rules issues?

18. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

Said in the main thread that answers will come next week, what with holidays and suchlike.

Hecaton and Dragonstriker like this.
  19. Hecaton

Thought it was the end of this week. Aight.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation