1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSSS a beginner experience and looking for list advice

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Cranky Old Man, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Cranky Old Man

Cranky Old Man Well-Known Member

Having just played my first game with Aleph and losing to Morats I’m interested in what people are taking in operations at the moment. My list was not optimised as I only took what I had painted. The Asura is sooo good. Took her 2 lt order hacker version in a haris with some yadu. They did some work. I quite enjoyed my core team of dakini but I played them wrong. I took the hmg and the multi sniper with some combis and parvati. I feel parvati was wasted and I plan on painting my Deva to lead them. Is a sophotect a better choice than parvati? The rest of the force is giving me trouble. I’d love to use the Marut but it’s a big point sink, having said that it would have been the best thing to take on the morat in cc. Is a Garuda worth adding to the list? I love the Arjuna models but I can’t work out their best use.

Here is my force thus far painted but I would love to get an idea of what I should prioritise on my painting table? I only like to play with painted models, it’s a superstition.
    E5E20FC4-2FB2-4FF1-A59B-D72995AAEEAC.jpeg

2. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

Welcome to ALEPH! You’ve made the right choice!

Also, I think it’s fantastic that you’re only playing with painted models. It’s tough to do but definitely increases immersion and makes tables look better.

Parvati is great, but expensive. I don’t love her yet, but some of the players I’ve heard who do put her in a haris. It adds a little maneuverability for her. That said, putting a doctor/engineer in a fireteam means that you won’t be using any yudbots for her, which are very useful in expanding her reach. I typically prefer the proxy mk1 engineer in OSS because she’s super cheap, and I find that most of my models with wounds have NWI so I rarely end up doctoring them. The sophotech is a good alternative to Parvati if you aren’t taking advantage of her wildcard and would still like to have a strong doctor and engineer.

I like Devas in Dakini fireteams. The spitfire, sensor, hacker, and killer hacker all have good reasons to exist in that team. Usually I only put one Deva in, and occasionally two, but even that starts to get a little expensive.

The Marut is a monster. She can destroy just about everything she looks at. The real struggle with her is making sure that she has the support she needs. A good hacking network to keep enemy hackers away. An engineer who won’t die. Plenty of layers of defense to make sure she doesn’t get locked down by an approaching warband or outgunned by something with the cover of white noise. In some ways, the best units to support her are myrmidons, because they can throw smoke and can protect her from close combat threats pretty effectively. Unfortunately myrmidons are not available in OSS.

Don’t fight morats in CC. Especially daturazi. Use direct templates or shotguns if they get close. OSS is not equipped to fight them in close combat at all.

Garudas are amazing. The spitfire is a fantastic striker. The FO seems like it has a lot of potential as well. I don’t see myself using the boarding shotgun much this edition, although I’m sure it has its uses.

I’m not super hot on the Arjuna at the moment. I liked it in N3 but I’m just not sure right now.

Cranky Old Man likes this.
  3. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

Parvati is overkill for a link of daikinis.

Parvati is powerful, but she costs so much because she is a rediculous dr and a rediculous engineer. If you're putting her in a dakini link, you likely are not making use of half her skill set. Parvati is IMO much more suited to a link that makes use of both her dr and engineer abilities, such as as a wildcard in a link with an asura, which needs a dr to heal wounds and an engineer to fix hacking/em status effects.

If you want to place an engineer in a Dakini link, Trisha N33 is more economical, and generally IMO brings more utility to the link with a breaker combi and em mines.

The post human is also a phenominal engineer and super economical, you just can't link her.

Parvati has done a lot to obsolete the Sophotech, parvati is better at most everything sophie can do, for only a few more points, and on top of that parvati is a wildcard and sophie has no link options. Sophie's redeming qualities being she has a combi instead of a SMG so has a better "attack" at range, though Parvati has a flash pluse which can do in a pinch, and Sophie is slightly faster at 6-4 compared to 6-2.

EDIT: And there is price, 7 points is nearly two net rods or 1 lamedh, so its not nothing, but it feels like if you can afford it, parvati is a better choice.

#3 natetehaggresar, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. Iver

Iver Human Plus

Lots of great points above.

Also, the two REM boxes are real nice. The Rebot box brings lots of fun and versatile units. Lamedh which are some of our cheapest order generators who are also surprisingly frustrating to opponents due to flash pulses and mimetism, Samekh to bomb people if you want to play with repeater fun and the FO Garuda though it really wants you to build your list around it, and the Zayin which is just a solid ARO piece which we can build upon with EVO buffs and/or Apsara support.

The Probot pack is primarily just for the EVO device which just has good synergy with OSS in general. The other one can proxy as a Rudra which is my personal favourite unit in this army currently. It's such a toybox on wheels.

Also, grab a Naga, Dart and/or Andromeda. We have excellent and fun infiltrators there. They all provide tons of value midfield.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation