1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between a tournament and a league?

Discussion in 'ITS' started by QueensGambit, Nov 25, 2020.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

The ITS12 announcement mentioned that CB has adjusted the K-factor for leagues to be the same as tournaments. A Warcor also mentioned that Helllois is currently promoting leagues over tournaments because of covid. Another TO mentioned that there are different prize packs for tournaments vs. leagues.

Yet, I can't find any information on what a league is. The word "league" appears exactly once in the ITS document, where it provides the K-factors for a "Tournament or League" vs. a "One Shot."

Is a league just a tournament that takes place over multiple days? (If so, then currently they're literally synonyms since many tournaments are being played at one game per week due to covid.) Or is there some other difference?

For that matter, what is a "One Shot"? I've never heard of it outside that one reference to K-factor in the ITS document.

2. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

I don't know in other places, where I usually play (before covid lockdown), tournaments are 1 day (sometime 2, the big ones) with 2 lists, while leagues have a long time span (maybe 1 game every 1 or 2 weeks) and each round might have different rules for list building (points, some allow different extras) and maybe taylor the list against the enemy. I've seen tournaments where different rounds have different points too, so in the end, usually is a matter of time in my opinion

chromedog and Savnock like this.
  3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Also, leagues are more likely to allow list freedom for each game than tournaments which tend to lock you to two lists, for example. Of course, a lot of leagues do that as well, but very few tournaments do not. I don't think I've ever seen one that didn't.

4. QueensGambit

I'm asking about the ITS definition of a League, specifically.

If ITS leagues have different rules for lists used, I'd definitely like to know. It's not in the ITS document, but nothing about Leagues is in the ITS document, hence my question.

5. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Leagues are long-term play events which stretch over several weeks, by definition in the English language.

An ITS-specific definition could be handy for those who are confused, but beginning with the general English-language meaning of the word spells most of it out.

CB is incentivizing people meeting for games over long periods of time, and NOT gathering in big groups, for this season. For self-evident reasons.

As for One-Shots, those are the one-round ITS tourney authorizations that you can buy to make your single game with a buddy count for ITS points:

https://store.corvusbelli.com/organized-play/infinity/all/its-oneshot

chromedog likes this.
  6. QueensGambit

So... nobody knows?

Obviously a league stretches over multiple weeks, but that doesn't answer the question of what are the ITS rules for leagues. It also doesn't answer the question of what is the difference between a league and a tournament, since these days, most tournaments also stretch over multiple weeks.

Thanks! That is helpful. I kind of like the idea that you can pay a couple of bucks to play rate a random game.

7. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

And this is another difference between tournament and leagues. multi-day tournament, either 2-3 games per day on 2 consecutive days, or the new 1 game per day on 3-5 non-consecutive days, have simultaneous plays. Which means 10-20 players gathered in the same room.

While league and campaign I've seen, you have a week to play the assigned player. You don't need to have all the players gathered together at a specific time to play the round.

I haven't seen a 4 round 4 weekend tournament, but I suppose that they have all the player at the same time at the same place. If that is the case, they are just as dangerous (in term of pandemic) as regular tournament. But I could be wrong, tournament in other game/sport have only a few players/teams play each other in a timeslot, followed by another group of players/teams. We could have a multi weekend ITS tournament where a single round is spread on 2 days with the 20 players being assigned their specific timeslot to come play on the tables.

I know our FLGS has a on-appointment booking of the game room with a limit of 2 players. We often have about 8 players in a tournament, so we could have them play 2 at a time over the weekend.

chromedog likes this.
  8. QueensGambit

Right, which is how a lot of tournaments are working these days. A week per game, on TTS. You're lucky to live somewhere where in-person games are possible at all. In my meta, aside from some limited ability to play during a lull in August/Sept, in-person games haven't existed since March. All tournaments here have been multi-week TTS tournaments.

So, I can't find any reference to these formats in the ITS12 pdf. Is there another ITS document that I'm missing which sets out the ways games get scheduled in leagues and tournaments? That would certainly explain my confusion!

Savnock likes this.
  9. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

In my mind, most tts "tournament" are actually leages. At least one tts league i know of is called a league but if the other are called tournament, they sound more like a league. The document doesn't define any distinction between both term.
    They also don't define one-shot but if you buy a one-shot code it is good for a single game between two player, basically a regupar casual game but which affects your official ranking.

10. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

there is no listed rules for a league compared to a tournament. leagues are not just tournaments over multiple days in my mind as leagues do not have to restrict which player you are playing against for each round. atleast for my community it is just play against X different people of Y weeks. Try to play against people that have a close win ratio that you do (so don't constantly keep playing down).

Savnock and Robock like this.
  11. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Well, the league, is a tournament that occurs during several day or months, that the only difference, well and the K-factor, in a league, that K-factor were lower in comparison with a tournament. Thats it. So I made the change in the K-factor to be the same.

The one-shot is a way to report a single game into the ITS.

A Mão Esquerda and QueensGambit like this.
  12. Daniel Darko

Daniel Darko Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I like the one-shots very much.

On the one hand, they add that little spice, that now you are playing a game with stakes and on the other hand, it is a little bit of a donate-button to say thank you to the corvus belli team. :heart:

HellLois likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation