1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do Reset and Dodge specify Template Weapons and Hacking Programs + Comms Attack

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Nimlothautle, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

The section of trooper activation that determines if an ARO is valid contains the following table:

upload_2020-11-24_20-27-11.png
    https://infinitythewiki.com/Trooper_Activation

Bullet point 4 makes all ARO declarations valid if any of those three situations are true. Under Reset and Dodge, it states that both ARO's can be declared if they are valid, or in only a few of the situations listed in bullet point 4. The 'or' of those skill requirements don't make any sense considering the broader list of situations in the bullet point already determining validity. So I ask the question why they are listed in the skills at all?

upload_2020-11-24_20-32-8.png
    upload_2020-11-24_20-32-41.png
    https://infinitythewiki.com/Reset
    https://infinitythewiki.com/Dodge

This allows for some weird interactions where a trooper can dodge when hacked through a repeater, or a trooper can reset in response to a guided attack (guided always a template attack), and I don't believe this is the intention behind the rules. Credit to @inane.imp for pointing this out to me in another thread.

#1 Nimlothautle, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Given the way the rules are written, I don't know any other way to read these. The N4 dodge/reset conditions appear to intentionally be more permissive to avoid some of the worst effects of forced AROs from N3.

inane.imp likes this.
  3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It's redundant information, CB does that. There's also the fact the text is a hold over from a time that AROs were generated when you met a skills requirements which is not the case in N4: AROs are generated when an enemy trooper is activated, they are valid if the any of the 4 bullet points of the ARO are met.

Ultimately both Dodge and Reset meet their requirements in the Reactive any time you have a valid ARO. It's that simple.

#3 inane.imp, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Ayaxs likes this.
  4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Well... This IS intentional...
    You can Dodge an hacking because you take the risk of the hacking to get a Dodge movement, maybe getting to objectives or engaging the enemy,
    You can Reset a guided attack because if you were Imm-B you cannot dodge but at least it gives you a chance to keep reacting.

inane.imp likes this.
  5. Nimlothautle

Nimlothautle Well-Known Member

I guess I saw the individual skill entries as the intent first and most people have read them as just vestiges from N3. I'll concede the point.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation