1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

List Advice for New Player

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by TacNuke, Nov 24, 2020.

1. TacNuke

TacNuke Member

I discovered the game over the summer, and have just started building an army and gaming table (posted some pictures on the miniatures page). I’m going to have to play the game solitaire in order to learn the rules until lockdown ends and I can find some people to play with.

Based on my reading of the rules and all of the other great information out there, I am working towards building the following list, and would really appreciate feedback from actual players.

Group 1

Line Kazak Core:

Line Kazak (Lt)
    Line Kazak (FO)
    Line Kazak (Paramedic)
    Line Kazak
    Frontovik AP Sniper

Frontovik Haris:

Frontovik (Engineer) w/LRL
    Veteran Kazak APHMG
    Veteran Kazak (FO)

Group 2

Dozer
    TM Kuryer Katyusha
    TM Kuryer Uragan
    Spetznas HMG
    Strelok (FO)
    Irmandinho SMG
    Warcor 360

SWC: 6 PTS: 300

2. NauticalSoup

NauticalSoup Member

Without gutting the list by stripping out the REMs entirely, the most obvious change I can see is downgrading the Irmandinho to a chain rifle to free up points to upgrade the warcor into ANOTHER Irmandinho with a chain rifle. I can't imagine ever wanting to bring a warcor for any reason other than being somehow literally unable to fit in anything better. Also can't imagine ever wanting to fire the SMG on an Irman over a chain rifle or smoke dodging or whatever. Then maybe reorganize your pools so you have an Irmandinho in each one.

McKaptain and Axelius like this.
  3. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

If you dropped the Dozer and two mild you could pick up two minelayer Strelocks for 2pts less. I personally would make that change.

4. NauticalSoup

NauticalSoup Member

Yeah and I mean it's hard to disagree with this. I like the look of the MULs. I'm actually building two MULs right now. I will certainly force them into lists, to justify having bought the darn things and motivate myself to paint them. But I have yet to see an N4 list that justifies their inclusion which makes me sad ):

The minesweepers don't really have a niche anymore as marginally discounted orders thanks to tactical window. The MRLs really needed some love and they didn't get it. Worst of all, all the other factions got WAY better at guided shenanigans while also being able to do it for much cheaper. Frustrating, when we've got the coolest looking mini rocket platforms in the sphere.

McKaptain likes this.
  5. Kreslack

Kreslack Unknown Ranger lead the way!

I really wish they had given the uragan better range bands. Even spitfire range would make it a more usable reactive piece. But it's bs of 10 and short range makes it had to justify taking. At least the Kuryer has 11 bs and minelayer. But is a kazak exclusive. (It really should just be the standard.)

I also still would like to see minesweeper as a more usable skill. Either allowing its use on a triggered mine. Or allow it to target camo but only work if it's actually mine under the marker?

#5 Kreslack, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    NauticalSoup likes this.
  6. Axelius

Axelius Not a Rogue AI

Assuming we have decided on trying to make the MULs work, I'd stick with the Katyusha for Guided attacks, rather than having one of each. The bad rangebands really hurt the Uruagan's role as Total Reaction bot, and I don't think swapping DA for AP/Shock is worth 7pts when we will use it on a B1 attack. By downgrading the Uragan to the basic 5pt variant we got 11pts extra, which together with the 5pts from the Irmandinho being downgraded to Chain rifle as suggested above leaves us being able to replace the Warcor with something for 19pts.

When I see 19pts I immediately think of Dynamo Paramedic, but since you want more FOs to be able to get that Guided you need I guess you could go with the FO profile. You could also take a second FO strelok if you make the Line FO into a normal rifle.

7. TacNuke

TacNuke Member

Thanks! Why did I not see that, definitely making that change.

8. TacNuke

TacNuke Member

I'm in the same boat as you - love the models and am disappointed that they are not more effective. It was finding a random picture of a traktor mul on the internet which led me to find the game in the first place. It's odd that they have the same range bands as a rifle, and the BS is not great. I have always read that good tactics can save bad lists in Infinity, so I'm going to damn well make FO shenanigans work!

9. TacNuke

TacNuke Member

Good advice, thanks, I'll give it some thought later.

10. McKaptain

McKaptain Well-Known Member

I would like to see minesweeper work like Sensor, but instead of revealing camo, it reveals and deactivates any mines in the zone of control.

It sounds fairly powerful, but still requires you to spend orders moving up field and using the skill. Probably even then it would not be worth the order expenditure.

11. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

In N4, depolyment zone is a dangerous place. Anything not fullcore*, 6th sense*, camo or otherwise durable model is in danger of getting killed by drop troops, pitcher+guided missiles and other alpha strike models. Lucky for us, Ariadna is perhaps the most defensive faction in the game (because we have plenty of previously mentioned troopers).

Good models:
    - Spetznas with AP Rifle (you want be part of the problem)
    - Dog-Warrior(s) (24p, 3w, total immunity)
    - Wardriver (6th sense hacker with direct templates is an exellent defensive model. Also we have a lot smoke so smokestomping+hacking might be a valid tactic depending on rules interpretation)
    - Antipode assault pack (not as good as before, but can still make a lot of work depending on rules interpretation)

* For better no-LOF dodges and some protection against MSV+smoke dudemens.

#11 Tanan, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  12. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

You meant "way better than before", I hope. The change from unique rule to Peripheral alone gave them a huge buff. No more Frenzy as well.

Tanan and Delta57Dash like this.
  13. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

@Nuada Airgetlam There is a 99% chance that you don't know what you are talking about. But it's not your fault. The antipode assault pack rules have always been rubbish. And by rubbish I mean that the unit is extremly powerful, but the rules are so poorly written that not even the devs knows how to play them correctly let alone most of the players. If you are a honest player you will use 30+ min pregame time to go through the rubbish antipode rules with your opponent so that there aren't any gotchas or too aggressive interpretations. This is ofc before the list selection, because used the antipode rules affect list selection.

In N4 the biggest antipode rules issues are:
    - What happens if the spearhead dies or goes unconcious?
    - How do illegal AROs (should) work against coordinated order when some models declaring to use stealth and some don't?

But let's forget these issues for a moment. Even if they release an errata that addresses these issues (which I highly doubt) or you manage to bully/negotiate the opponent/TO into accepting your baseless claims on how rubbish antipode rules work, the N4 antipode pack is still worse than N3 antipode. Consider the following:
    - In N3 you could use a cmd-token to change the antipode irregular order to a regular order even if there were a single immobilized and retreating antipode on the table. In N4, cmd-token can't change the tactical supremacy irregular order to regular order.
    - In N3 the loss of the antipode handler (the trooper with the control device) might cause the antipode pack to retreat. Depending on the used rules interpretation and/or wip-3 roll , this could be bad or manageable. In N4, the loss of the antipode handler always causes the entire pack to go disconnected for the rest of the game. Also the deployment zone is a lot more dangerous place in N4 than it was in N3. A lot of drop troopers and guidebots models see the antipode handler as a easy kill.
    - In N3 the antipode handler could support the antipode and rest of the army movement with smoke templates. In N4 she can't, because firing a smoke grenade causes antipodes to drop camo. Smoke grenade launcher also has worse range bands in N4. Throwable smoke grenades are now the big thing, because their range bands have the +3.

#13 Tanan, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  14. Alri

Alri Well-Known Member
    Warcor

On other hand,

in N4
    • The pack is not going disconencted when only one of the pack members stays "active" on table as in N3.
    • The controler and the pack now only take just one combat group slot (making it possible to spend one more order in 10man combat group, or "bypasing" the 15 troop limit in orders)
    • When the pack is dead you still have 2 orders on the controler. (yes one of them needs to be used on him but thats still better than in N3
    • They are no longer frenzy so they can freely ReCamo.

Kreslack, Axelius and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  15. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

@Alri Like I said, N4 antipode assault pack is still good. Would I rather take N3 antipodes? Absolutely

16. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

We already know the answer to the first question, and the second is in the FAQ Queue IIRC.

For the record, if the spearhead goes down, it’s pretty simple. If unconscious, you simply designate another dog as spearhead next order and continue. If dead, it’s slightly more complicated.

At the end of the order, the other dogs will fail the coherency check (as it is impossible to be in coherency with a model that is no longer on the board) and become disconnected.

The next time the Controller receives an order, the dogs will not execute any orders, as they are disconnected. However, you still designate one of them as the new spearhead per the Peripheral rules. At the end of the order, the disconnected state is automatically cancelled by being in coherency with the spearhead, and then you can spend another order and perform business as usual.

RolandTHTG likes this.
  17. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Yes, such well written rules. Unconscious dog is great pack leader. I’m sure that the devs intended the rule to work out like that.

18. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

Considering the unconscious dog can’t actually carry out orders it’d be pretty stupid to continue assigning the Spearhead to the guy on the ground instead of just switching it to a new dog on the next order.

Regardless I’m not trying to argue how well written the rules are or aren’t. I was informing as to how they work.

RolandTHTG likes this.
  19. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

@Delta57Dash it's more about not getting into that "no spearhead token on the table" situation. It's one of those gotchas that you need to clarify with your opponent before the game. You need to instruct your opponent that because of rubbish rules, it's very important for him to kill the antipode spearhead and not just make it unconscious.

But let's move past "antipode rules are rubbish" and "N4 antipodes are worse than N3 antipodes" and talk about other TAK models. How do you see Dog-Warriors?

20. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

ha! tracktor mulls; the worst remotes in the game, now without guided munitions XD
    really wish CB would gave them x-visors

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation