1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard character with Harris? Confused

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Omen, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Omen

Omen Active Member

Ok so I am confused . There is a few characters. ( cadin first strike, Karnak, .”) and I’m sure there is more that have wildcard can join any fire team plus the skill of Harris .. does this mean they can join a fire team and create the Harris fireteams?

Example cadin joins 2 volunteers and makes a Harris?

I guess I’m asking do these characters give a Harris option to a fireteam that would not normally have it?
    If not then why do they have a profile option that has the Harris skill?

2. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

no, they cannot only with that

to form a haris there are 2 conditions:
    one trooper with the skill fireteam: haris (those characters fulfill this requirement)
    the fireteam to be valid in the fireteam chart.

if the fireteam haris is not in the chart, you cannot form it even with a character with that skill

3. Omen

Omen Active Member

So these profiles are nearly useless purchase? Well that’s disheartening.. and doesn’t make sence with cadin as he cost more to take Harris, but anything that can form Harris already has the skill for the full unit entry.. and only 1 model in a Harris needs the skill..

#3 Omen, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  4. Armihaul

useles why? is not so broken to create options that are not in the lists, just open some few more combinations. I don't know much for other factions, but for example, there is perseus, which counts as hollowman and securitate. He can form a hollowman haris, where there are not any hollowman, with only him and wildcards. Also, he is needed for his special fireteam with stempler and raoul (which is absurd anyway, because stemplers can join HM and raoul is wildcard)

an example would be, bringing one of those wildcard haris dude to a haris with another wildcard, and a "count as" dude that has not the haris skill. For example kornak could form a haris with anyat (not sure if there are "count as suryats" for a 3rd member)

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There is an unanswered legacy question regarding these characters, and that is whether Fireteams still have a "Fireteam identity" that is based on the unit with the Haris or Duo skill like in N3.

E.g. in N3, a Varuna Fireteam with Patsy Garnet + 2 Orcs was a "Patsy Garnet Haris" which the two Orcs weren't allowed to join which is why Patsy also got "Counts as an Orc". She no longer has that line and I can no longer find any hint in the rules that this is the case. As such, this leads me to believe that Patsy + 2 Orcs is a legal Haris.
    (Note: Orcs are allowed to join a Haris, but no Orc profile has the Haris skill, which is why this is a good example)

In Caledonia, Volunteers may not join a Haris, so Cadin + 2 Volunteers wouldn't be allowed, but Cadin + 2 Mormaers is legal. Sure, there are no Fireteams in Caledoni where Cadin's Haris skill is actually necessary since all Haris troopers of Caledonia have Haris natively, but whatcanyado?

6. Armihaul

never has been that "identity" as a rule. There was not a rule in which the "haris" rule has to be in a trooper of the fireteam "type". That was a big missconception that some people had. The only need was a trooper with the haris rule, nothing in there forced it to be a trooper of the unit. Usually that was true because normal haris have to be formed by only one kind of trooper. But when entering special fireteams, that was not necesarily true.

I am checking N3 army, and patsy was wildcard with haris, and orcs had the option for ft haris, so 2 orcs + patsy was a valid haris. More examples would be the kusanagi+healer+custodiar sisters, which was a "special haris", not a custodier haris. Or Raoul+Perseus+stempler haris, which was also an special haris, not a Perseus haris, or even a securitate haris (Because perseus counted as one). Or the yadu haris where there was no "yadu", but Deva haris, rudra and a Samekh wildcard, it complies with all requisites.

7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

The N4 rules annex says:

When creating a Fireteam that includes Wildcard Troopers, the player must include at least one Trooper from the Units listed for that Fireteam in the Sectorial chart, or a Trooper that counts as a member of one of those Units.​

Which unit a team is listed as in the sectorial charts matters.

In the Varuna chart
    • Orcs have Core, Haris, and Duo
    • Patsy has Special (wildcard)
    In Army 7
    • Orcs have FT: Core*, FT: Haris, and FT: Duo
    • Patsy has FT: Haris and FT: Duo. She does not have a "counts as Orc" rule.
    So in N4, two Orcs plus Patsy in any combination is a valid Orc Haris or Orc Core fireteam. Pretty simple.

To actually make things complicated, we could try to play with Kamau. Kamau are a wildcard, and can join any fireteam in Varuna. They can also form Cores and Harises in their own right. A Machinist can join a Core or Haris of Kamau, but it has to be a Kamau Fireteam, and a Clipper is also a wildcard.

• Two Orcs and a Kamau is a legal Orc fireteam, because Kamau are a wildcard.
    • An Orc, Patsy, and a Kamau is a legal Orc fireteam, because Kamau and Patsy are both wildcards, and the team includes at least one Orc.
    • Two Kamau and a Machinist are a legal Kamau fireteam.
    • A Kamau, a Machinist, and Patsy are also a legal Kamau fireteam.
    • Similarly, a Kamau, a Machinist, and a Clipper are a legal Kamau fireteam.
    • However, a Machinist, Patsy, and a Clipper are not a legal fireteam, because there's no Kamau, and Machinists can only be in Kamau teams.

* Fireteam: Core isn't a skill, which is honestly an annoying legacy more than anything else, and I hope it is a skill when a full fireteam rewrite comes around just for consistency with all other fireteams if nothing else.

8. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Please read N3 FAQ 1.7 or later. I've included the text from N3 FAQ in the spoiler below.

FIRETEAM When creating a Fireteam: Core that includes Wildcard troopers, you must include at least one trooper from one of the units listed for that Fireteam in the Sectorial chart, or a trooper who counts as one of those units. When creating a Fireteam: Haris or Duo, the Fireteam belongs to the unit of the trooper with the Fireteam: Haris or Duo Special Skill. For example, in OperationS, A Deva Haris + two Yadu would be a Deva Fireteam, and a Yadu Haris + Yadu + Deva would be a Yadu Fireteam. Patsy Garnett Patsy Garnett’s Fireteam notes change to: Special Fireteam. Wildcard trooper: Patsy Garnett can join any Fireteam of this Sectorial Army. Patsy counts as an Orc Troop for Fireteam composition.

There's a few Fireteams where it gets more difficult. E.g. is the Shaolin an original member of a fireteam where "Up to 1 Shaolin may form a Fireteam: Duo with Jing Qo" so that a Shaolin + Shang-Ji is a valid Duo? What about "Special Fireteam Haris. 1 Zuyong + 2 Yan Huo FTO", leaving aside that putting two Yan Huo in a fireteam is kinda dumb, is Yan Huo + 2 Shang-Ji valid?

I can't actually pull many more examples like that because they are fairly rare by now and I don't actually know all sectorials by heart, but you get my point I hope?

Armihaul likes this.
  9. Armihaul

Sorry, I see me corrected. I think I missed that part of the FAQ

10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

A lot of those were cleaned up, which is good.

Sectorial chart for WB has the special fireteam listed under the monk itself, so yes, you could do a monk / shang ji duo.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation