1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engineer Skill + Command Token Usage

Discussion in 'Rules' started by shokeyshah, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Machival

Machival Well-Known Member

I remember a FAQ by Games Workshop from around 20 years ago, where they answered the question if Eldrad can choose 4 spells like all other 4th level psykers or all of the spells (because the wording could be interpreted to mean that) with: “Common sense.” I never thought this would be the appropriate response to a question regarding the Infinity rules but in this case it is.

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Except @Machival is arguing that there's no need for it to get fixed because it's clear how it's supposed to work because of "common sense".

Also, if it's an obvious oversights that Gizmokits do in fact cancel Unconscious what about other states subject to Engineer?

Is that an intentional or unintentional difference between Gizmokits and Engineer: it was "common sense" to me that they cancelled States as well as repairing Structure.
    I was surprised to learn I was wrong after a close reading of the rules.

My point is and remains: the rules should say what they intend as unambiguously as possible. The most unambiguous reading of Gizmokits is that they don't repair Unconscious and so - we assume - that there is a misalignment between what the rules say and what they intend. This needs to be fixed.

The alternative is the issues associated with late stage N3 rules where the answer to "how does this work?" was often "It's Mabo, it's the vibe. Just go with it."

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Common sense does require knowledge in common and commonly shared values. If you're lacking either, your sense will have less in common with the other person(s). Saying that something is common sense is like saying you thought it was obvious, which since you're saying you thought it was obvious...

Machival and inane.imp like this.
  4. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

5. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

6. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

I concur, but the RAW is really weird, and deserves some kind of cleanup. If Engineer is functionally the same as Doctor except it works on STR, with the two additions that it can be used on conscious troopers to repair damage, and that it can be used on any trooper to remove certain states, then it’s really weird how differently the rules are written from each other. I assume this is a bug, but there are a bunch of rules that hinge on really specific things about the wording, so waving this off as “the specifics of the wording aren’t important” is weird and doesn’t sit well. How is a new player supposed to divine when the precise wording matters and when it doesn’t?

RAW, it’s ambiguous whether a single successful Engineer roll accomplishes the following, or whether you have to spend two Orders to accomplish it (and coincidentally, the way Unconscious is worded and how it appears in the RAW is wonky):
    • Repair 1 STR
    • Cancel Unconscious
    • Cancel other states
    The provisional ruling covers that yes, common sense applies, and if you succeed on an Engineer roll on an Unconscious trooper with STR, you simultaneously heal it up to 1 STR and clear Unconscious, and that the same effect applies to a successful PH roll from a Gizmokit hit.

Does that single success also clear all applicable states, such as IMM-A? Or will that require a separate successful Engineer roll?

The thing is, this all seems like some sort of writing goof. It could easily say something like “A successful Engineer roll repairs 1 STR on a trooper that is currently below its original STR, or returns an Unconscious trooper to 1 STR regardless of the level of Unconscious it was in, and removes the Unconscious state.”

It boggles my mind that the wording is as it currently is, unless the intent is to increase the number of rolls required to stand a damaged manned TAG back up, or allow rempres troopers to have a sort of pseudo-NWI. I don’t think that’s the case, mind, but given how much attention went into most of the rest of the rulebook between editions this one’s a tad peculiar to my eye.

7. Machival

Machival Well-Known Member

Generally I concur, that's why I wrote "I never thought this would be the appropriate response to a question regarding the Infinity rules", but I also think it should be relativised. If you ask 100 players and 99 of them say they would play a rule one way, I don't think there is a need to fix that rule, even it is worded unclearly.

8. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As this question is being marked as not answered, here's the FAQ entry:

How do Engineer, GizmoKits, and Unconscious State interact?

If a Trooper with STR is in Unconscious State, successful use of a GizmoKit or the Engineer Special Skill on them will restore the Trooper to 1 STR and cancel their Unconscious State. But the Unconscious State would be the only State cancelled by the Engineer, to cancel other States must use another Order.

So yes, GizmoKits cancel Unconscious.
    While the Engineer Skill can either repair STR and cancel Unconscious in one roll, or repair other States.

Lawson, chromedog, Methuselah and 2 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation