1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Direct Template Attacks, Attack Cancelled

Discussion in 'Rules' started by inane.imp, Oct 27, 2020.

1. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

When does the cancellation happen? Is it on Declaration or at Step 5/6?

So, let's say that in the above example the timing happens like this:

1. Fusiliers declares BS Attack at the Betatrooper
    2. Betatrooper declares BS Attack with his Nanopulsar at the Fusi (missing the Fusilier). LOF is checked and the Fusi is within the Betatrooper's LOF.
    3. Fusilier Moves forward into the area covered by the Nanopulsars Impact Template.
    4. No additional AROs

5. Is the Betatrooper's ARO valid or does their BS Attack with the Nanopulsar get cancelled?

2. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

In the template rules, there's a multi-template example which lists the order as:
    Trooper 1 has B2 with their Chain-colt, when declaring BS Attack against Troopers 2 and 3 it is checked that the B Template affects Trooper 4 (Allied or Neutral). Template B is therefore cancelled.

Troopers 2 and 3 may declare ARO normally.​

According to that example, the template cancellation is immediate, since it's happening before the game continues to ARO declaration.

toadchild likes this.
  3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Aarg. When I read through the original post, I missed the fact that the template weapon was being declared as an ARO.

The timing for the application of this rule to AROs:
    If the Main Target is outside the Area of Effect of the Template Weapon or Equipment, the BS Attack is automatically considered a failure and no Game Element will be affected by the Template.​
    has to be the same as the timing for this rule:
    • The distance to the target cannot exceed the weapon's maximum Range.
    and that's logically equivalent to asking "When do you choose your specific line of fire (or choose at what point along the target's movement path you shot it) for a BS Attack?"

The friendly fire rules appear to be a bit different because you really can't get out the failure condition once it's been discovered.

4. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Rulebook, p. 49:
    Rulebook, p. 47:
    Rulebook, p. 48:
    I'm really not clear on why this is unclear, other than the usual CB penchant of splitting the pertinent parts of rules up in an unintuitive way, rather than walking you through the rule like a normal person would. What am I missing?

Mahtamori and inane.imp like this.
  5. inane.imp

Why is it "functionally equivalent to the measurement of LoF when declaring a BS Attack ARO" and not an ARO validity check you make at Step 5 or functionally equivalent to the measurement of Range when declaring a BS Attack?

6. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

I laid out a response above, but I think it posted simultaneous to your post here responding to my post in the other thread. The short answer is that the second bullet of the DTW rules on p. 49 explicitly says that you place the template at declaration of attack, not later in the order sequence, and then it says "in order to determine if the Main Target is inside in the Area of Effect."

If the determination of the Main Target's position relative to the template was meant to happen later, that whole rule wouldn't stipulate declaration of attack as the timing for placing the template and determining whether the Main Target is covered.

inane.imp likes this.
  7. inane.imp

Basically my question can be phrased as:

"When do you determine if a DTW affects the Main Target or not: at declaration or at Resolution?"

Re-reading the rule you cited from page 49 the ", as this may influence their possible ARO, or second Short Skill of their Order." means that you do need to determine it at declaration: there's no other way for that timing to work.

Cheers!

@Mahtamori this is resolved.

Mahtamori and wes-o-matic like this.
  8. kghamilton

kghamilton The_Omnishambles
    Warcor

Is this really the intention for ARO? Seems a little dumb. The order sequence section at the beginning of the rulebook should overrule this. Especially as the examples are all from the active not reactive player.

Having different rules for DTW and regular weapons doesn't make logical sense to me.

9. inane.imp

Sorry - I don't understand your point?

It's not different for Reactive / Active. Both are cancelled at Declaration if they don't hit the main target.

DTWs work sufficiently differently to Regular weapons that any difference is not particularly confusing: albeit that it's easy to miss.

Personally I'd prefer place at declaration and check validity at cancellation to make LOF truly exceptional as the thing you need to check at declaration, but once the timing is pointed out it is clear so *shrug* bigger hills.

#9 inane.imp, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation