1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Varuna First N4 all comers list - your thoughts?

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Lameth, Oct 25, 2020.

1. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Yeah, precisely.

So you can get a solid coordinated order off.

Functionally you are manufacturing burst advantage on an action which wouldn't usually have it.

2. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Things to consider for a massed Hacking approach.
    A Remote as Repeater delivery system isn't very reliable or hard to intercept. In between just eating a good old BS Attack ARO it might very well get Isolated while walking in range, even if you can see that coming and the Hacker trying that is not in Camo/Holo/Hidden Deployment.
    The Croc FO's Deployable Repeaters from Hidden Deployment up to the middle line are the safer bet to make it stick and the guy can walk through Hacking AROs only risking Spotlight (which he can counter with Total Cover + Marker State).
    Hacking pairs great with a EB Wildparrot against high value targets like TAGs, elite HI or HI Links. Dodge or Reset? No matter what the target is pretty likely screwed. Even against otherwise unhackable targets you can force the decision of Isolation from the Parrot vs Spotlight from the Hackers. And ofc you might stick both Parrot and Hack if the target fails the Dodge -3 or Reset FTF.
    The Clipper is significantly better at using Targeted than a Squalo (AP+EXP vs DAM15). And got a massive buff from being a REM in N4 (Prone, automatically stand up after repairs...). With Wildcard.
    Varuna's Zapper Squalo is one of the best utility TAGs in the game. The guy is cheap, BS15, Multi HMG for long range, free Firewall (harder to hack than a WIP15, BTS9 Marut) and has the choice of Zapper and Multi Heavy Pistol close up, there honestly isn't that much of a reason to pick the GL Squalo in Varuna with Patsy doing Spec Fire better and Clipper being significantly better than N3.

Kamau Hacker is a big question Mark for me. The only thing he's really good at for his points is KHDs. Against a HD using Oblivion you're paying 10 points for +1WIP and 3 BTS. Ofc the guy is also a competent backup gunner, Varuna isn't really low enough on those to blow 10 points on it. If slightly better Hacking was the goal I'd try to find some extra points for another Fusilier HD, ZC KHD or Croc HD.

Peacemaker in a crowded midfield can be pretty good in the right matchup, given a table that lets him hide. Getting slightly cheaper is nice, but he did lose 4" deployment for that. Bulleteers have also risen in value as defenders, especially the HSG.
    The great thing about not having your own Hacking present and projecting your AROs through Repeaters is the other guy eating your Firewall MODs while having a hard time to benefit from his own (only a Hacker linked with a Firewall Tinbot or a HI Hacker with EVO backup can). Something like IA with barely any unhackable assault pieces runs in some trouble here (especially if some of your Hackers are concealed).

Given Varuna is a Sectorial happy to revive things and reform Links we're also very short on Command Tokens. A Coordinated Hack, followed by reforming your Link Team is a very big investment. One successful Reset or a couple lucky saves vs your Coordinated Oblivion and that resource is painfully finite.

Lastly massed Hacking is matchup dependent. Wouldn't run 4 Hackers against something like Hassassins, Spiral or Ariadna. There's only so much Spotlight can do for you without targets for other Hacking Programs. Even with 4 Hackers I wouldn't feel all that safe against an Anathematic Hacker backed by Bit and Kiss on top of an Engineer either. Long story short, for tournaments I wouldn't run it in both lists.

Varuna can do it, even better than Vanilla, which makes it the best place for Hacking in PanO right now.
    Might be outclassed a bit by SAA with access to Aleph Hackers and Skirmishers, but definitely works.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  3. SpectralOwl

What makes the Kamau HD worth it in my eyes is the Stealth; it's the cheapest Hacker we've got with that capability. It's handy for Coordinated Orders against tough enemy Hackers via Repeater if you can activate something in ZOC too, such as the Fugazi or Croc bringing the Repeater, since it will stop the enemy using their Hacking Programs against your relatively inferior Hackers by forcing their ARO against the nearby troop. EVOs are even better as Coordinated Order bait since they're Hackers and easy to fix in the DZ, but I don't see enough reason to actually bring them in Varuna otherwise so that's a trick better saved for Vanilla.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  4. Tongfa

Tongfa ULTRA INSTINCT UKR

I like the Peacemaker w/ Auxbot - DTWs are a usual tool in the varuna arsenal.

Is there a reason the Zulu Cobra didn't make it into the hacking draft? Is the versatility/peace of mind of a KHD might be worth having only 3 coordinated hacks vs 4?

If I had to lean into Squalo tech, it might look something like this.

upload_2020-10-29_22-22-45.png

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation