1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC + dodge (active turn)

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Th1nG, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Th1nG

Th1nG Active Member

Hello together, I'm a new player just starting out and trying to learn the intricacies of this collection of rules that is Infinity N4.

So I'm trying to understand the following:
    I'm an active trooper in silhouette contact with an enemy. As a first short order, I declare a CC attack. He declares a CC attack as an ARO. I want to get going afterwards, so as my second short skill:
    • I assume I can't declare a move, correct? Or can I declare a move that works if I kill him/knock him unconcious, but reverts to Idle if I fail?
    • I declare a dodge. If we now go for our roll-offs, do we roll:
      • CC vs CC as F2F, dodge afterwards as normal roll?
      • CC(him) vs dodge(me) F2F, my CC as a normal roll?
      • CC(me) and dodge(me) both F2F against CC(him)?
      • something entirely different?
    I hope my question is clear (and not too stupidly trivial), would love to get a clarification on the topic. In advance, thanks for the help :)

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

Keep in mind the basics; you can only declare a Short Skill and a Movement Skill, Movement Skill and Movement Skill, or Entire Order Skill.
    Both CC Attack and Dodge are Short Skills that require rolls, so you can't declare both of them in the same order.

Next up is the Order Expenditure Sequence on page 21 or here: https://infinitythewiki.com/index.php?title=Trooper_Activation#Order_Expenditure_Sequence
    Without pasting all of it, movement skills are all executed immediately upon declaration while Short Skills are resolved at step 5 and 6. As such, you can't ever declare a skill and then make the movement after the skill's effect is known (exception: Dodge's effect is movement, so that one resolves after all you've both rolled dice)

Helpfully, Engaged State on page 58 (or here: https://infinitythewiki.com/index.php?title=Engaged_State ) has a reasonably complete list of skills you can declare while in this state; CC Attack, Dodge, Idle, Reset and skills that explicitly state they can be declared while in this State. Of those, only Idle is a Short Movement Skill

So you'll typically declare Idle + CC Attack or Idle + Dodge.

toadchild, Alphz and ijw like this.
  3. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Fortunately this head scratcher is resolved by the fact that Dodge and CC are both short skills.

You are limited to one short skill in an order.
    This can be combined with a short movement skill, such as move, but this not a legal skill when in the engaged state.

Edit: and ninjad by an much better response by mahtamori

toadchild and ijw like this.
  4. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Welcome to the game and the forum!

CC + Dodge isn’t a possible declaration, because that’s two Short Skills in a single Order. If you weren’t in CC, a Short Skill like Dodge, BS Attack etc. can be combined with a Short Movement Skill like Move, Discover, Idle etc. But you can never CC Attack + Dodge, or BS Attack + Dodge.

You’re correct that you can’t declare Move while in Engaged State, so you’re going to have to choose between CC Attack and Dodge as the most useful option.

toadchild likes this.
  5. Th1nG

Th1nG Active Member

Ah, thanks a lot you three, seems like the problem was me incorrectly assuming dodge was a Movement Skill, when indeed it is not. That easily solves the whole dilemma. Seems like I have to look extra careful at what type of skills each skill is. Thanks again :)

colbrook and ijw like this.
  6. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Dodge has Movement label, but is not a Short Movement Skill, so you can move with it if you succeed with the roll and can't declare two of them.
    Whereas Discover is a Short Movement Skill, but doesn't have the Movement label so you can't move with it but you can declare two Discovers in one Order.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation