1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting cheap bits for scenery

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by jherazob, Oct 8, 2020.

1. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

As repeatedly asked by @Biomckill, here's the thread for cheap bits for terrain! I might as well do it myself, somebody has to :)

The original thread that started this had some relevant quotes:

And i suggested two Youtubers that are mad geniuses at this:

I also gotta add this video:
    And this one:

Feel free to add ideas :smile::+1:

2. Biomckill

Biomckill Well-Known Member

Lego related. Technic Link Treads. They cost about 1-2 cents per piece and you can purchase them by dozens.

[​IMG]
    They are soft plastic, not the usual ABS of Lego pieces. If you cut out the attachments in both sides the piece looks great for things like metal plating, holder for pipes or other cylindrical things, even steps for a stairs.

Also, if you take four and attach them in a loop (i.e., the last piece is attached to the first one) you have a square structure that looks like an antenna. You just need to add some pole in the middle.

3. splayedpaintbrush

splayedpaintbrush Well-Known Member

Used cable ties (both the flat tooth section, and the boxy ratchet end) and uncooked pasta, well spaghetti, make regular appearances in my model bases. These are cheap materials and could easy be of use for scenery too.
    [​IMG]
    If you're interested in the above base there's more about it here.

You can also make columns out of spaghetti, although I don't have any scenery examples, just bases I'm afraid.
    [​IMG]
    I used to cast my own bases in resin.
    There are more (resin cast) spaghetti columns of various sizes spread amongst my Warmachine gallery.

4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

The sooner I mention zip ties in another thread...

Abydog, jherazob and chromedog like this.
  5. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Did someone say zipties ...?

Ammo feed belt for my old Szally TAG.
    [​IMG]

6. Biomckill

Hmmm... I am tempted to try this one. For short segments the tension is going to be hard to handle. Maybe heating the piece. It works wonders with resin pieces, but those zipties are made of nylon.

OK, an example of RJ9 and RJ45 conectors being used as joint box:

[​IMG]
    Scifi machinery

Forget the GW bits, they are a remnant of lots I purchased when I was doing fantasy. Sometimes the fantasy bits came with lots of that trash. Do not discard anything, because they always come handy.

As you can see, sprue plastic and PS tube slices to imitate tubing, a couple of plasticard pieces as panels, and voilá.

Also there, in the bottom, a PC board power connector with a bit of angle.

timberfox, Abydog, Golem2God and 5 others like this.
  7. chromedog

They can't handle repeated heat/cool cycles (the nylon zip-ties aren't meant for bundling up high-voltage and current cabling, for example. We used to have them pop and drop bits from the overhead wiring harnesses at work (they carried the power loads for the 240 cu.ft electric induction kilns we had) and I've not tried to heat shape them, it wasn't too difficult to put that ammo belt on. 2 pairs of needle-nose pliers.
    Same for the old Lizard I added it to. Getting the curve done is the hardest part, but once I got it, it would hold the curve unless I left it in the sun to warm up and re-straighten. Once glued into place, there's not enough tension on it to want to break away.

For piping, though, I bought a few of the old Teknolog "refinery" kits years ago.
    [​IMG]
    There's enough piping corners and connections that still keep me going.
    I do long pipe runs with styrene tubing, using the refinery piping bits for connections and turns (unless the piping needs a "Y" connection, where shaping the tubing to fit just works better.

Cable runs I just use wiring rigs ripped out of old electronics, including ribbon cable separated into a few 3-5 wire sections.

#7 chromedog, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Lesh', Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  8. Nolimon

Nolimon Well-Known Member

I´ve made some Cars for a city table from sharpeners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Looks like some old computer mouse could have a similar use.

Abydog, Golem2God, chromedog and 4 others like this.
  10. Biomckill

I have exactly the same one, the small in the background. And it is perfect as cabin for several things, including cars. The brand is Maped, probably available in your nearest stationery shop.

Another sharpener of that brand, the Igloo, look pretty much as an insectoid cockpit, just google “Igloo maped sharpener” and take a look.

#10 Biomckill, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  11. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Agree with this mindset 100%. Anything can be used or made into what you need with the scales hobbists work with/in. Over the years I've been surprised by the items used to create terrain or parts of models. This thread is one example as sharpeners & CPU mice never came into my thoughts as terrain material. Love to look into threads like these and see what other people have come up with in their years of experience.

chromedog likes this.
  12. kesharq

kesharq Lucky Dice-Roller

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  13. Biomckill

Most of the electronic stuff intended for disposal is a great source of bits, and sometimes even materials. I have made entire buildings using cases of discarded UPS and routers. Since most electronics need refrigeration, you can find patterned thick sheets of ABS or PS. If you use a laptop, take a look at the bottom.

Some examples in this Flickr album.

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  14. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Before i forget again there's another useful thing: Can't link to it because of forum rules, but another competing sci-fi wargame, Maelstrom's Edge, doesn't have official terrain at all in any capacity, what they do is sell a plastic sprue full of bits that can be used to greatly upgrade your usual homemade stuff from cardboard boxes and whatnot into Proper Terrain(tm). So, do a websearch for "Maelstrom's Edge terrain sprue", if i recall they sell a couple for 10€ or something like that. It should be VERY useful for cheap terrain.

RolandTHTG, chromedog and Golem2God like this.
  15. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Has been. Back in 1/2ed, in fact.

chromedog, Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  16. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Singapur currency? ;) Europe is 4, lowered to 3 euros.

Two sprue models now, the original with mostly big things and new one with a lot of smaller things.

kesharq, jherazob and chromedog like this.
  17. Biomckill

Brief contribution to the thread:

[​IMG]

The small box in the right is one of the plastic bits used to hold the label on clothes (discussed somewhere in the thread). The lights are simply two LEDs from a discarded appliance.

timberfox, Lesh', Abydog and 6 others like this.
  18. Biomckill

Some more additions for the thread:

[​IMG]

Those cylinders there are fluorescent primers (no idea if this is the name for those things, here they are called 'cebadores'), those pieces used in fluorescent lights. Sometimes they burn before the tube and they must be replaced. Also, the bases for the primers are phone splitters, usually provided for free by your phone company with the ADSL router. And in the right, near the black round piece, two ethernet RJ45 pieces, without theor releasing clamps (which are used as hinges in the other side of the tower).

timberfox, jherazob, RAF and 5 others like this.
  19. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Spark plugs ;)

20. chromedog

They were called "Flourescent starters" or "glow starters" here. Two pins with flat or stubby ends that slotted into their brackets and rotated to lock them into place. They usually kick-started the flourescent tube lights.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation