1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reporting bugs in N4 rulebook?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by wes-o-matic, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Gurtana

Gurtana Member

And not a bug, but a bug bear with me regarding the rules is that I wish time was taken to explain precisely how to do a CC roll with a Troop with a high (20+) CC rating.

To veterans, this might seem obvious, but it was missing in the N3 rules, missing in the Code One rules and now it's missing in N4. As a relatively new/casual player, I really would have liked and appreciated to have seen this properly explained, with an example on how to do a CC attack and what your die roll will mean/how it's calculated. It's actually quite confusing for the maths of this. Veterans may disagree, but I don't think it was correct to omit this kind of obvious example from the rulebook.

I think it's such a missed opportunity, yet again. And I do wonder, perhaps the Code One and N4 rules needed to be game play tested and proof read by non-Infinity gamers and/or the wider community or veterans to pick out rule nuances before going live to print. Because CB is not a native English speaker there are a few typos and errors in the way things are phrased - a lot more of this could have been caught before printing.

2. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

It is written in the Basic Rules regarding Rolls in page 29 because, rare as it is, BS Attacks can also reach over 20.

Which is a section a new player would (and should) probably read, so I don't see the problem

SUCCESS VALUES ABOVE 20
    In other cases, a high Attribute or positive MODs to an Attribute can cause the Success
    Value to be higher than 20. In this case, consider the Success Value to be 20, but with
    the peculiarity that the player adds the amount by which the Success Value exceeded
    20 to his result on the die (a Success Value of 23 would add 3 to the result).
    In these cases, any result of 20 or more on the roll is a Critical, if applicable. Success
    Values above 20 (either from positive MODs or plainly stated in the Unit Profile)
    increase the chance of obtaining a Critical result.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Could you elaborate on what it is you are missing with the rules on page 29? In particular the example deals with this situation.

SUCCESS VALUES ABOVE 20
    In other cases, a high Attribute or positive MODs to an Attribute can cause the Success Value to be higher than 20. In this case, consider the Success Value to be 20, but with the peculiarity that the player adds the amount by which the Success Value exceeded 20 to his result on the die (a Success Value of 23 would add 3 to the result).

In these cases, any result of 20 or more on the roll is a Critical, if applicable. Success Values above 20 (either from positive MODs or plainly stated in the Unit Profile) increase the chance of obtaining a Critical result.

EXAMPLE OF A SUCCESS VALUE/ ATTRIBUTE OVER 20:
    The Knight of Justice has a Close Combat (CC) Attribute value of 23. Therefore, any result in a Normal Roll will be a success. Every time he performs a CC roll, he also adds 3 to the die’s result (for example: 4 + 3 = 7). For that reason, he will obtain a Critical if the result is 17 or higher: 17 (17 + 3 = 20), 18 (18 + 3 = 21), 19 (19 + 3 = 22), etc.​

4. Gurtana

Gurtana Member

Oh, are you saying that CB plan to re-invent the Fire team rules? I did not know that.
    But, even so, N4 includes Sectorials. Sectorials have Fireteams. When N3 launched, I think it did not have Sectorial armies and the Human Sphere expansion introduced them, along with Fireteams rules??? I could be wrong on that. But even so, I would have thought the rules for fireteams would be in the main rulebook.

5. Mahtamori

When N3 launched we used Human Sphere from N2 to form our Fireteams. Fireteams and sectorials were introduced in Human Sphere N2.
    We are mostly* using the same rules still.

* There's some smaller differences, for example; fireteams can no longer be formed using name similarities between units - Zhanshi Yisheng can't be part of a Zhanshi fireteam just because they are both Zhanshi.

6. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

They were planning on redoing the fireteam rules with N4, but they didn't have time so they put them in a separate pdf and out of the book so they would affect anything else when they got to change them.

7. Mahtamori

Haven't they alluded to remodelling fireteams more than once as well? Kind of like this will be the most "living rulebook" part of the rules?

Aldo likes this.
  8. Gurtana

Gurtana Member

Sorry, you are both indeed correct. It is in the rules - but - it's NOT under the CC section of the rulebook, where I think it's much more likely to appear as an issue. The CC section is the "Combat" section, from P54. I was looking under this section because it seems to be more obviously necessary to include it there, and not hidden away under "basic rules". Of course, there is an argument that it should be in both sections because it's quite essential to the gameplay - whether you look under basic rules or CC Combat - a reminder like: For Success Values over 20, please see P29.

And the last disappointment for me: I don't want to be all negative about the book, but there is no real Index. It calls the contents the Index, but there is no true Index, ie. a way to look for a word/concept listed alphabetically at the back of the book...

9. Mahtamori

It can appear in other situations as well, though it's rarer and usually involves very specific units, Targeted State, Shotguns, and/or Fireteams; an Asawira in a Fireteam Core shooting a Boarding Shotgun within 8" on a target that is suffering from the Targeted State would roll on a BS value of 26, a Tunguska Killer Hacker that is hacking a target in Targeted State using Trinity would roll an effective WIP value of 21

10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

In addition to what the others have said, please bear in mind that when the rules in the annex file were updated, the book itself had already gone to print approximately a month and a half earlier.

11. ijw

It's in the Rolls section, as it should be because it applies to all Rolls. However, I've added a 'See Also' link to the main Close Combat page on the wiki, which will show up once the N4 version goes live.

Gurtana and RolandTHTG like this.
  12. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

AFAIK they're not doing an N4 Human Sphere like we saw with N2 and N3 as such, so Fireteams are maybe always going to be a PDF/Wiki thing.

13. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

14. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Page 39, possible bug in Jump example as @Mahtamori pointed out.

15. Mr.Camo

Mr.Camo Member

Page 165, WILDPARROT doesn't have Non-Lethal trait

16. ijw

Doh, I thought I'd responded to this. :-(

• There can be no reaction against a Repeater that is being used by an enemy Hacker, only against the Hacker, if possible.

Cannon Fodder likes this.
  17. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Is Guard supposed to have the CC Special Skill Trait? My gut is that it was left out so that it can be used against NBW units. The Flavor Text just above the box does make it a little vague though.
    upload_2020-10-15_12-12-56.png

18. ijw

NBW only affects Martial Arts, not all CC Special Skills.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  19. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Oh that's right. Is there any reason why it would matter if Guard has the trait or not now then?

20. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Page 96

The Forward Observer "fluff text" says the same as Forward Deployment :face_with_rolling_eyes:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation