1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double Shot?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Cartographer, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

Am I missing something with this trait, what exactly is the point of it?
    As far as I've been able to find, it's on 2 weapons and mimics B2, without actually being B2. It just seems like it should have been rolled into disposable rather than an extra trait.

Enlighten me, what am I missing?

toadchild likes this.
  2. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

as of right now, a weapon with (+1B) cannot elect to only shoot B1 (pg.81 gray box), but a weapon with double shot can elect to shoot B1 (traits section of the rulebook)

it also get foggy with Disposable - as it specifically cites double shot will expend both uses of the disposable trait but (+1B) makes no mention (to my knowledge), so theoretically you can shoot a +1B panzerfaust twice (4 shots total) before it is unloaded.

3. Cartographer

Cartographer Well-Known Member

That's for +1B not for native B2.

Disposable says you lose a charge each time you declare a use with the weapon, so I get that B2 would only use 1 charge, just why was an entire new trait invented to use a charge per burst rather than roll it into disposable to begin with?

4. MikeTheScrivener

hmm? not sure exactly what you mean.
    I could be wrong or my interpretation incorrect but:

page 43 says I may roll up to as many dice as indicated by my weapon. combi rifle has B3, I may roll up to 3 die distributing however I please.
    page 81 says I must add a +1B to my weapon's burst.

whether it's added before or after I'm not sure. It's peculiar that it says must instead of may.

EDIT:
    my bad.
    lol, i see what you're saying "why isnt double shot just B2 instead....."

but yeah - i dont know. Double shot seems like a really unnecessary trait.
    probably because of the disposable would be my guess?

CB being the bunch of nuts they are?

#4 MikeTheScrivener, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Cartographer likes this.
  5. Stampysaur

Stampysaur Wallace is my LT

I wonder if that is an oversight in the main rules. In the annex rules it says the +1B from fireteam bonuses drains two uses.

Double shot can be used in ARO. Also look at Chest mines for example. they are disposable 2 with double shot. 2 templates in aro is good. if you look closely the CC version of chest mines do not have double shot, this means you only get to use one in cc instead of two. if this was written as Chest Mines +1 burst it would apply to both modes, cc and template, and only be usable in active turn. Double shot is a trait that CB can apply to a single firing mode of a weapon instead of applying burst bonuses to an entire weapon.

6. MikeTheScrivener

do you have a citation for this? Double shot does not specifically say it can be used in ARO, so it is assumed that it cannot modify the reactive burst.

to clarify: The Double Shot entry specifically says it adds a "+1 MOD to its burst", so functionally in this case it would be no different than "Mine dispenser +1B" etc etc. so I see no reason to treat it any differently.

#6 MikeTheScrivener, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    colbrook likes this.
  7. Stampysaur

I guess I would need some clarification then. I see what you are saying but I guess i read it differently.

Modifiers specifically talk about anything written in round brackets next to the skill or weapon, the important box talk about "these modifiers", specifically the ones above.

upload_2020-10-13_12-16-7.png

I interpreted traits as being different.

upload_2020-10-13_12-13-25.png

8. MikeTheScrivener

i mean, it specifically says the word "MOD". not sure how that can be interpreted in any other way.
    to reiterate - unless otherwise stated a weapon's B1 is always 1 in ARO. nothing in traits, doubleshot, or the weapon profile itself says anything to dispute this.
    Also bear in mind a weapon's Burst is also listed under it's traits - the traits section is just a collection of what the gun/weapon can do and gives no reason for any of these rules to override the main ruleset.

9. Stampysaur

eh, thats fair.

regardless, there is a lot that having double shot does for the game that +1B does not. even if they don't get +1 burst in aro.

10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

If a mine dispenser were B2 instead of having double shot, what would be different?

Let’s assume for a moment that doubleshot’s wording about using two charges was instead contained in the disposable trait under a new bullet point for B 2 weapons.

11. Stampysaur

Nothing i suppose. Considering the active turn shooting is apparently “may”.

12. Stampysaur

Scrap that. Apparently active turn shooting with disposable uses only one use when shooting multiple burst in active turn. At least with the current wording and as long as it isnt fireteam burst bonus. Probably an oversight there too, but ijw is waiting for a response in the other thread talking about this.

13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

That’s why I said to move doubleshot’s text for using both uses into the deployable rules. If that’s the only reason double shot exists, it feels like a bad design to me.

14. Stampysaur

But you are also only looking at one weapon. Perhaps they included it with intentions of using it further down the road.

But yes, it seems odd with all the rules pruning they would add a new rule only present on two weapons that could be reworded. unless they intended for +1 burst disposable weapons to only use one use.

15. MikeTheScrivener

who knows, its very possible that they intend to use it further down the road - and i hope they do, or it gets a bit of an eratta

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation