1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kugat conversions

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by jake richmond, Oct 3, 2020.

1. jake richmond

jake richmond Well-Known Member

I'm planning on adding some new Kurgats to my MAF force, replacing my N2 models. But... I'm not too happy with the poses for either of the modern Kurgats. so I'm considering some conversions. I was hoping someone else here might have tried this already and could share their thoughts.

My first conversion idea is to take the Autocannon arm and weapon and place it on the the kneeling Kurgat. I'm not sure if this would actually fit (I don't own either model yet), but it looks like it might. If I did this I'd have to replace the right Boarding shotgun arm with something else.

My second conversion idea is to give the Autocannon Kurat either a Boarding shotgun (from the other Kurgat) or Kornak's Mk12. I'm leaning toward the Boarding Shotgun since I assume we'll get a MK12 model eventually. if I do this I'll also need a left arm for the Kurgat.

Any suggestions or examples for these conversions?

2. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I don't own them either, but I totally see where you are coming from.

Looking at the pictures it's going to be hard to put the autocannon on the kneeling version. Fitting the left arm/shoulder to the torso shouldn't be an issue per se, but the head is turned in a way that would make it look very unnatural, I feel. He'd be looking straight at or slightly above the autocannon. If the head is detached (doesn't look like it is), you could reposition it, but otherwise I think it'll be hard to accomplish a decent look. Maybe you could try and angle the autocannon downwards in a resting position, but I personally wouldn't commit to the purchase without seeing the sculpt in person. If you absolutely want to go for it, you can always saw the largest possible portion of the head off to reposition it, but that requires large amounts of resculpting the damaged surfaces and transitions.

For the other sculpt, swapping both arms with the kneeling pose should be an easy fix. It's probably just a matter of getting the angles right and closing the resulting gaps with modelling putty, but that will still leave you with an unfinished/unnatural look on the other guy. One thing you could try, even though it will be difficult, is to re-arrange the arms of the autocannon guy in a way that has the weapon going across the torso and pointing down to the right, similar to the Rodok HMG:
    rodok-2.png
    The right fist is already articulated in a way that makes it compatible with the sidegrip on the weapon, but this will need extensive cutting and bending on the arms to make work. I'd start with carefully bending the wrist on the autocannon arm inwards, then cut off the arm at the elbow, turn the forearm inwards, drill two holes in forearm and shoulder and pin that joint with wire, to be able to play around with the pose a bit. The shoulder will probably also need to be angled a bit differently to make the transition natural, but that can be accomplished with modelling putty as a buffer.

If you happen to own the Daturazi or can get the BSG one somewhere cheap, that one has a fine pair of arms and bare shoulders to put on either sculpt. Scale could be an issue, though, so you'd probably want to check that first:
    daturazi-3.png

3. jake richmond

Good advice, thank you.

if I remember correctly, the Daturazi BS arms are cut at weird angles, and that may make a conversion difficult. Although it sounds like any conversion will be.

of course, what I'd really like is to recreate the original Kurgat Autocannon pose with the new model. Maybe I can find someone to model a new 3d printable set of arms and gun to fit on the newer model to recreate the iconic pose?

4. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Yeah, that's an option, but it will likely cost you an arm and a leg.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a cheap Kurgat and try the conversion myself, as it looks like an interesting challenge. I'll let you know how it goes along the way ;)

5. jake richmond

I'm very interested!

6. jake richmond

I wonder if Yaogat or Rodak arms would work? They're more armored, but the old Kurgat arms were also armored so that seems fine. Of course, only the Yaogat BS has the right weapon, but that might still work.

#6 jake richmond, Oct 3, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  7. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I suppose it would work if you don't mind breaking up the overall style a bit. Once painted, I can picture it looking just fine.

8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Hey Jake, haven’t seen you around in a while!

I’ve not picked up any new Kurgats because I already have 4 old style ones converted to have different weapons, but I’m very curious to see how this project turns out.

9. jake richmond

I've been away a few years. Still playing, but not hanging out here. Unfortunately I had to sell my Morats, which hurt a lot. I'm starting to rebuild my force after playing Druze for the last 2 years.

toadchild likes this.
  10. jake richmond

I found the pair for a good price, so I ordered both. I guess Ill be able to do some experimentation too.

Knauf likes this.
  11. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

I converted my Kurgats quite a while back, turned the autocannon into a Teucer knock off, and make my own MK12 by chopping up and mixing some other MAF weapons.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 12.38.46 PM.png

Usashi, Modock, Golem2God and 5 others like this.
  12. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

This is what I managed today:
    IMG_20201007_224742.jpg IMG_20201007_224754.jpg

There is still some work to be done on the right hand, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

Usashi, TenNoBushi, RAF and 5 others like this.
  13. jake richmond

Knauf, that looks pretty good. Do you have a photo of the left side I could see?

14. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

Great work @Knauf , I've actually been considering redoing mine much the same way!

15. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Here you go:

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

16. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

@Knauf I really like that re-pose.

17. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Whoever likes it and couldn't do a conversation like that themselves - feel free to drop me a PM. I was interested in trying the conversion, but I don't play MAF myself and will probably not use it in my vanilla CA, so I'd be willing to give it away if they cover the shipping cost.

jake richmond and Dragonstriker like this.
  18. jake richmond

My Kurgats arrived today.

I didn't realize that their heads were attached to their bodies. That will make repositioning harder (although not impossible).

Anyway, I think I've decided what I'd like to do.

Autocannon Kurgat: I plan to replace the model's right arm with the right arm from the Missile Launcher Vanguard.
    [​IMG]

Boarding Shotgun Kurgat: I'd like to replace the left arm (the Sword arm) with the left arm from either the Combirifle Rodok or Hacker Rodok.

[​IMG]

The problem is, I don't have any of these 3 models, and I don't want to buy 2 boxes just for 2 small conversions.

So... does anyone have any of these arms that they'd be willing to part with?

19. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

If you need specific minis without the need of a full box, I suggest to have look at this thread

jake richmond likes this.
  20. jake richmond

I may do that but I was hoping someone might have spare arms left over from a conversion.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation