1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on N4 OSS

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Teslarod, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Look at the example of Hacking Zone and ARO through a Repeater, page 61 in the rules pdf:

Shrouded hacker has two HI (one of them being a hacker) in his Hacking Area thanks to various CA Repeaters, but out of LoS and ZoC.

1) Shrouded declares Idle
    2) One of the HIs declares Reset, the other declares Oblivion despite the Shrouded activating outside his ZoC, and the fact that at this point of order expenditure Shrouded hasn't declared an attack against the hacker yet.
    3) Shrouded declares Carbonite and splits the burst.

This clearly shows that the hacker doesn't need the target to activate within his ZoC; it needs to activate within his Hacking Area. In your example moving Rudra into enemy hacker's ZoC extends his Hacking Area to Asura hacker, which was activated in the same order. This means the hacker has two legal AROs, one against the Rudra, and one against the Asura.

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes.

Hacking Area, on the same page of the PDF as Repeater:

HACKING AREA

This term refers to the Area of Effect of Hacking Programs. In Infinity N4 a Hacker’s Hacking Area matches their Zone of Control, and the Zone of Control of Repeaters and Deployable Repeaters of either the Player or their Allies.

In addition, if a Hacker is within the Zone of Control of an Enemy Repeater or Deployable Repeater, their Hacking Area includes all Enemy Hackers on the game table.​

My emphasis. After the first Short Skill of the Order, the Asura will be in the enemy's Hacking Area and will be a valid target.

xagroth and Stiopa like this.
  3. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

in the example given, does the Target get to declare an ARO on the assura? The assura is in the Hacking area, but to my understanding the assura does not trigger an ARO.

4. Stiopa

It does, as it's a hackable target activating in enemy hacker's Hacking Area

5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes, they get to target the Asura. Being an Active Trooper in the Hacking Area grants AROs.

Unfortunately this isn't explicitly spelled out. :-(

6. Iver

Iver Human Plus

If the Rudras and Asura are linked, then when you activate the Rudras to move into the hacking area, you also activate the Asura and thus there is a ARO trigger.

7. Stiopa

I think there are three applicable rules here. One from ARO rules, page 21:

upload_2020-10-9_15-18-13.png

And another two from hacking rules, page 60:

upload_2020-10-9_15-20-12.png

Attached Files:

8. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarity. I think I found the line on page 60 that explains it. If there is FAQ or V2 of the book I would put the comment on page 21 bullets for declaring AROs. The bullets on P21 implies "it" as being reactive trooper equipment, but the example given has the equipment on the active trooper.

#48 Cannon Fodder, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  9. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

OK so I just got stomped REALLY hard by Corregidor in Domination, and whilst there was some bad luck involved like McMurrow making 4 armor saves vs Darts viral bow in one roll, what gave me the most trouble was a Brigada ML/new MI or HI with Panzerfaust/Vostok/Daktari/Alguacil Core link.

He gave me first turn and I watched my 2 Dakini snipers and the HMG just bounce off that new HI or MI and the Brigada. That has literally NEVER happened to me before. Whilst it is probably debatable if it’s a good idea to take on linked ARO pieces with my own core link they have never disappointed me. Granted, that was before the Apsara nerf but still.

Anyway, on my way home I kept trying to solve this particular puzzle my opponent had presented me with, and I was surprised that I couldn’t think of anything. The link was deployed very well and I can’t think of anything in OSS to crack that head on. And Dart with her grenades had no lane of approach, and neither did my mono naga. So I guess I should’ve ignored them. But watching my Dakinis implode like that was quite a downer.

10. RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG Still wandering through the Night

The Mk3, now with an AP spitfire, or the Arjuna's Kiranbot, might be our best option for the HI mixed links I expect you see.

11. The Revanchist

The Revanchist Well-Known Member

Yeah, the B3 Oblivion from a Danavas might be nice for that. Probably even worth Speculative Firing those Repeaters.

12. Hiereth

Hiereth AI Artichoke

I have yet to actually field her, but in concept Andromeda has quite the assassination potential with Guard+D-Charges.

Cannon Fodder and Stiopa like this.
  13. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Thanks for your suggestions!

Without smoke I think it would be hard to get an Arjuna close enough to such a defensive link team. I like the MK3 idea, although that’s still an unlinked model without modifiers vs a core link. 4 dice on 13s vs 2 dice on 16s presumably.

Ordinarily hacking would be an option, that’s true, but vs Nomads I’m not sure. Maybe I overestimate them. In this particular example he had a normal hacker in the link and Jazz in another haris. Could be worse I suppose. I’ll definitely think about it some more.

Andromeda I had with me but not lane to approach. She died to the Daktaris combi rifle on her first order.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation