1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge while prone

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Triumph, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Unit with Dodge +2" successfully dodges while prone. As far as I can tell they should move 3"

From the prone stae on page 158

• While in this state, Troopers have both their MOV values and movement bonuses halved when declaring any Skill with Movement label (Move Dodge…), or when moving as the result of a failed Guts Roll.
    Their MOV stat doesn't come into play for a Dodge, and their Dodge +2" bonus movement is halved to 1"

Anybody disagree?

2. Stampysaur

Stampysaur Wallace is my LT

I disagree. I read it as the trooper now has a 4” dodge. Half of that is 2”.

WarHound likes this.
  3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

The Dodge bonus from the Skill variant is a modifier of distance, not of the MOV value. Triumph has it right.

4. Stampysaur

Page 38 says otherwise.

While in this State, Troopers have both their MOV values and movement bonuses halved when performing any Skill with the Movement label (Move, Dodge...), or when moving as the result of a failed Guts Roll.

Dragonstriker, Harlekin and toadchild like this.
  5. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

The real question is to verify if a troop with no dodge bonus moves 1” or 2” while prone.

6. JoKeR

JoKeR HAWZA Instructor
    Warcor

ALL moves you get, becomes halves in Prone. Does it simple enought???

inane.imp and tox like this.
  7. Triumph

Sure, but the book doesn't say that anywhere. It says the MOV stat is halved when prone, and movement bonuses are halved. I can't find anything that says otherwise yet as the base 2" Dodge skill is neither of those two things.

Dodge is not a MOV value, that's the stat on the profile, and it's not a movement bonus that's the +2" Dodge listed in the profile. RAW that means the +2" gets halved but not the base 2" from the Dodge skill.

That's essentially part of what I'm asking here.

I'd be interested if @Benkei or another Spanish speaker could enlighten us as to how the other set of rules reads.

8. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Nah. According to how the rules are written, it is a MOV value.

Otherwise, if you look at the statement concerning GUTS:
    • When a Trooper performs a Skill or ARO with the Movement label, or moves as the result of a failed Guts Roll, its player may indicate that it will go Prone. By doing so, any Movement performed will be executed while Prone, with the resulting reduction to the Trooper’s MOV and Silhouette values. Note that a Trooper that was in LoF before going Prone will still count as being in LoF at the start of the Skill or ARO.

• While in this State, Troopers have both their MOV values and movement bonuses halved when performing any Skill with the Movement label (Move, Dodge...), or when moving as the result of a failed Guts Roll.
    and claim that it's gibberish. Because what Guts specifies is "must move up to 2 inches".

9. Triumph

I was under the impression we treat the red text as a separate part of the rule as it's after a comma. Guts is halved because it's specifically called out in its own section. It's actually the type of blanket text I'd be looking for to say that the cumulative dodge movement is halved rather than the bonus but nothing like it appears.

Unless you can explain it to me a little better I'm not sure how we're quantifying dodge as a MOV value.

10. Harlekin

Harlekin Catgirl Supporter since 2007

Well, Dodge is explicitely mentioned in the rules: "While in this State, Troopers have both their MOV values and movement bonuses halved when performing any Skill with the Movement label (Move, Dodge...)"

And Dodge (the skill) comes with a fixed value of 2" for everybody.

SubOctavian and THEGRAAK like this.
  11. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I think the wording is a bit ambiguous, but could be trivially clarified with a FAQ.

inane.imp likes this.
  12. Triumph

MOV is very specifically the stat that appears in the profile though.

Indeed. Or a quick answer from @HellLois here would do the same trick.

toadchild likes this.
  13. clever handle

clever handle Well-Known Member

for what it is worth I'd weigh in that Triumph's original position is correct.

Prone halves your MOV value and any bonuses explicitly when using the dodge skill.
    The dodge skill doesn't use your MOV value but assigns a fixed movement of up to two inches
    A prone unit with the dodge skill modifier 'dodge(+2")' would have their bonus movement halved.
    Thus a 3" dodge as written currently with either dodge(+1") or dodge(+2") while prone.

To Solkan's point regarding the guts language, I believe that text is currently redundant unless there are any troops in the game that have any skills like 'Guts(+x")' which I don't believe exists. This is again because Prone explicitly refers to the MOV attribute, which is a specific thing, and a gults result may grant movement completely divorced from the MOV attribute.

14. Stampysaur

Sounds like you are talking about dodge and guts just being bonus movement to me.

15. clever handle

its not "bonus" movement. Both cases have defined movement values. bonus movement granted via using the Dodge skill comes from any inherent modifiers on a profile. Modifier bonuses are outlined on page 81 of the BRB.

16. huttyman

huttyman New Member

I'm I the only one here that think normal dodge while prone should be 1" instead of 2".

page 83
    ► A successful Normal or Face to Face Dodge Roll allows the user to move up to
    2 inches. This movement:
    ► Is measured, declared, and the Trooper moved, during the Effects step of the
    Order Expenditure Sequence. If both players have Troopers that successfully
    Dodged, the Active Player will move their Troopers first, then the Reactive
    Player will move theirs.
    ► Does not generate AROs or trigger Deployable Weapons or Equipment.
    Must follow the General Movement Rules as well as the Moving and Measuring
    sidebar, both of which are explained in the Movement Module.

Sorry if i'm missing something. I'm just join infinity recently (i mean 2 weeks lol)
    ps. (And also in realife i guese roll when while proning is way shorter than prone while standing too, But I know this is game lol)

RolandTHTG likes this.
  17. Stampysaur

No you aren’t the only one. The people arguing otherwise above are just arguing that MOV attribute and the 2” from
    Dodge movement are two separate things. While you and I are correct in moving 1” while prone dodging.

Lawson likes this.
  18. clever handle

fixed it for you.

19. huttyman

huttyman New Member

And why you think it's not correct? (For normal dodge without mod while prone should be only 1")

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation