1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodging+move without any AROs (Stealth loop hole?)

Discussion in 'Rules' started by HardDisk, Oct 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardDisk

HardDisk Well-Known Member

So, i was wondering if this combo is allowed or not, i couldn't find the answer anyhere, maybe you could help me!

CCnoARO.png 1°- A uses an order just outside ZoC of B, A can declare dodge without AROs
    2°- A declare move and have stealth, the stealth rules allows to move inside ZoC without AROs
    3°- Resolution step: roll dodge
    4°- Dodge move into CC with no AROs!

Why is it possible?
    Well, the stealth 3° bullet point says that you can't declare any non-Movement Skill inside the enemy ZoC AS YOUR SECOND SKILL, so RAW you could declare dodge AS YOUR FIRST short skill and move as your second short skill, this means that stealth is allowed.

stealth.png

ANNNDDDDD, since you roll the dodge during the resolution step, your "dodge movement" doesn't allow any AROs.

If i may go a bit further, since stealth doesn't say anything about the first short skill, you could declare shoot(or any other skill)+move inside the ZoC and if you doesn't end your move inside LoF your opponent can't have any AROs.

toadchild likes this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Declaring Dodge will break your Stealth because it is not a Short Movement Skill and All At Once (Page 21)makes it so that order doesn't matter.

ALL AT ONCE
    In Infinity N4, Orders and AROs are simultaneous regardless of the Skills declared.​

3. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

But hilariously you can keep Dodging up to an enemy Trooper and they can't ARO. Or Dodge into a Mine's trigger area and it won't explode.

4. Catspaw

Catspaw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

In this situation the mine will explode, as its explosion isn't an ARO

6. Rhys

Rhys Active Member

A mine won't explode due to dodge movement, but if you're already in the trigger area when you start the dodge I'm pretty sure it goes off.

Reece, Lesh', jfunkd and 2 others like this.
  7. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I'd say the way to reconcile the All at Once principle with the wording of Stealth is that in the third bullet point, "second short skill" means "other short skill." i.e. it's the "second" skill in the sense that the Stealth rules just talked about one of the two skills (a short movement skill), and is now talking about the other one. The skill mentioned second in the Stealth rule, not the skill declared chronologically second in the order.

I.e. stealth says "if you declare a short movement skill the enemy can't ARO, except that if your other skill isn't Stealthy then they can ARO normally."

DukeofEarl and toadchild like this.
  8. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I stand corrected.

9. HardDisk

Agreed, but it opens some windows to abuse it, the wording must be changed to avoid this sort of things.

yeap! changing "second" for "other" resolves that.

10. Mahtamori

How can this be abused?

the huanglong and ijw like this.
  11. Daixomaku

Daixomaku Well-Known Member

You're missing the point: Dodge movement does not trigger ARO, dodge Declaration does.

Reece, Teslarod and THEGRAAK like this.
  12. KujakuDM

KujakuDM Vigilo Confido

This in't a loophole. The other person declares their ARO at the dodge (Picture 3). They can declare Dodge. if they both succeed the active model moves it self first, then the reactive model moves itself (probably leaving engaged).

13. HardDisk

Like the way i described on the OP? CLEARLY the rule was not well writed and RAW it allows A to get into CC without any ARO, while RAI B just get an ARO after the move getting into ZoC.

No, i'm not missing the point, and like i pointed in the OP the dodge declaration RAW doesn't trigger ARO

I strongly believe that the wording must be corrected

14. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Pretty much none of this position on written vs. intended is going to work for Infinity. Especially if you're trying to claim that 'rules of written' means 'naively reading the rules literally, ignoring all context and principles of the game'.

As much as Corvus Belli is trying to write better rules, they don't write the rules in a way that you can do that.

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  15. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

To be blunt, b*llocks. Multiple posters are disagreeing with you on this.

It does, but for other issues. Not for an issue that’s being misunderstood by a single poster.

Reece and bladerunner_35 like this.
  16. Brother Smoke

Brother Smoke Bureau Trimurti Representative

This is very clear cut, when you declare dodge model B will be able to ARO
    Or rather, the issue you seem to have is that you say if you declare dodge "first" then move then model B will have no ARO, but your dodge, even though it was declared "first" happens throughout your movement, much like if you were to declare shoot or any other non-movement skill

#16 Brother Smoke, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  17. Mahtamori

But the original post is incorrect.
    Blue does get an ARO in frame 2 because of All at Once.

18. huttyman

huttyman New Member

I kind of understand Harddisk idea. Cause It kind of almost makesense if read by rule.

Except like Brother smoke said. Just try switch "Dodge" with "Bs Attack someone else at same place you try to resolve dodge in piceture 3"(But declare bs atk with first action) Then in page 21 order expenditure sequence. After second action declare. there will be second declare ARO.

And if you say that Blue will notice and be able to do ARO to dodge or whatever, Then it's mean he can have ARO when you do "dodging too". But if you say Blue will not notice then if your partner agreed who else to disagree with you right? Just play and have fun.

#18 huttyman, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  19. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

I hate to reignite an old thread but I'm late to this concept and it seem like people have some things wrong here.

The first one I would like to point out is the example that a BS Attack can be used as indiscriminately as the First Short Skill in this example. If everyone goes to the BS Attack page, there are a couple bullet points clear all this up.

1) The first is under Requirements - Be able to draw Line of Fire (LoF) to the target of the BS Attack, unless the BS Weapon, Skill or piece of Equipment used doesn't require LoF." This means you cannot declare a BS Attack until you have gained LoF.

2) The second item I would like to draw attention to are every bullet point aside from the first in the Effects part of BS Attack. The declaration is used religiously.
    Screenshot_20210311-222620_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Now it is not lost on me that many of you would like to focus on the gray box that says Move+BS Attack (or Vice Versa).

Screenshot_20210311-222629_DuckDuckGo.jpg

However, notice the wording that says a BS Attack can be declared at any point during the route followed by the Move Skill. I bolded these two words to emphasize things that are necessary. First a declaration as already established and the declaration can't be made without first fulfilling the 2nd Bullet Point of the Requirements. And secondly, the route is what's followed in this statement not the Move Skill following the BS Skill declaration. I need to make that clear before anyone tries to get any bright ideas.

Because LoF is required at the moment of Declaration, no one can declare a BS Attack on a model it did not have LoF to by the end of the Declaration of AROs for the First Short Skill. Period.

Which brings me to Dodge, no AROs, Move+Stealth no AROs.

The entry for Stealth is also very specific about declaration. I've boxed in the two bullet points for Effects necessary to get the point across but there are other mentions of declaration in Stealth as well that help emphasize the precedence of declaration when things are happening in the game. Likely all actions in the game are written this, CC Attack is, I know that.
    Screenshot_20210311-225418_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Notice the mentioning of declaration in that 2nd bullet point and notice how the 3rd bullet starts with the word "however" to show that it has a relation and works in tandem with the 2nd. CB seems to have been really specific about placing the word declaration throughout there whole book. They seemed really specific about tying these two bullet points together and specific about the second Short Skill. So people are going to sit here and make up assumptions about the Stealth Rule because of what? It doesn't sit right with them, when so much of the rest of the rules is written exactly the same way. Did it occur to anyone that perhaps the ruling is correct for that handful of troops who can pull off such an engagement. It allows for the kind of engagement as a camo marker. The reactive model is not getting attacked for free. It's just being engaged. The cost of the models to have 3"+ of Dodge, Stealth and 6" MOV was paid the same as camo. It definitely ain't game breaking. So there aint anything to be upset about.

#19 wuji, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  20. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

ijw already answered the question earlier in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation