1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will Onyx become in N4?

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by paraelix, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

How about a no frills S2 Mnemonica LT profile to represent the ambassador form of the EI making an offer one can't refuse on first contact? The Pneumarch HVT would be a great proxy for that.

Maybe a sepsitor, too - just for flavour and consistency.

Berjiz and Savnock like this.
  2. Melkhior

Melkhior Doing filthy things for EI

There is confirmed info from IJW. Units with Protheion and monofilament weapon (Samaritans) will have additional CCW, because monofilament CCW doesn't work with Protheion. This is reason why Nourkias has E/M CCW. Samaritans looks like they will be more deadly in CC and probably our solution against TAGs and HI, but they will be still unit we will need to learn use well.

Odesláno z mého Mi 9T Pro pomocí Tapatalk

3. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I think Xeodrons with K1 Marskman Rifles - assuming this rumours holds - will fare very well, too.

4. bladerunner_35

bladerunner_35 Well-Known Member

I am a bit sad that my trusty Nexus hacker lieutenant won't really cut it anymore (because he can't buff REMs). Not sure what to put in his place. Hopefully something new comes along or CoC so we can push an aggressive (and improved!) Umbra.

RobertShepherd and Savnock like this.
  5. Stiopa

Honestly, after hearing the Umbra fluff it'd make a lot of sense for Legates to gain Mnemonica, and be the aggressive Lt's they were meant to be.

Nexus hacker being the only possible - and painfully obvious - Lt. is a major flaw of most of our local Onyx player's lists.

Savnock, toadchild and Knauf like this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Part of my personal Onyx experience has been spending at least one turn in LoL every game, and as a Combined Army player I find that to be utterly unacceptable. It doesn’t help that it’s an incredible REM-heavy sectorial with no way to make a REM into a lieutenant. Having a G: Autotool core troop but no access to G: Mnemonica has always felt like a weird design error. I’ve usually balked at people’s suggestions to give Umbras mnemonica, but given proper background justification (as apparently exists in the RPG?) I would not have a problem with it.

DaRedOne and Savnock like this.
  7. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

This was one of the reasons I thought the Skiavoro would be perfect for OCF. While OCF has more Lt. options that other forces I play, is it really an option when it's 1 SWC?

8. Melkhior

If we can trust leaked profiles, there will be no ghost autotool in N4. Maybe CB also deleted rule that rem cannot be lieutenant? We will see soon. Personally I would rather see CoC in Onyx instead of addition of any Aspects, because Aspects would be no brainer choice in Onyx and Umbras would see even less table time.

Space Ranger likes this.
  9. Stiopa

That's the thing - Umbras could be Aspects.

10. Melkhior

Yes, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen. Nourkias profile doesn't have Mnemotech in his profile and I don't expect to see it added to Samaritans or Legates.

Stiopa and toadchild like this.
  11. bladerunner_35

That’s odd. I have never had an issue with someone going after my Nexus LT. I just put him on a roof and openly use his LT order every turn.

I’ve been put in LoL plenty of times with my other armies.

Even though I would love to have them in Onyx I like that aspects is vanilla exclusive. It makes vanilla CA feel more unique than other vanilla armies.

Maybe just add a CoC profile to the Malignos. It works with the Farzan in Haqq.

Lesh' and Melkhior like this.
  12. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I have similar experiences with a Nexus Hacker LT in a Unidron Fireteam - I lost him in maybe 10% of games, across maybe 40-50 games that I used him in during N3. Even Killer Hackers struggled, between facing Suckerpunch, Sixth Sense and a Tinbot Deflector.

That said, LTs in Onyx will be slightly more flexible in N4 (but not much).

Lesh', Savnock, Melkhior and 2 others like this.
  13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I’m probably just bad at model placement in fireteams :-)

14. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Also dunno how much the Seattle meta has changed since I left, but we never did shy away from punishing an obvious Lt. choice when other approaches looked difficult. Cheap shots ain't wrong! :D

Stiopa likes this.
  15. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

I believe the ship has already sailed, but I dig the idea of Umbras with Mnemonica. This would alleviate their big weaknesses a litle bit, and would also be better than yet another NWI shock immune troop.

16. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Well I'm looking at the new list and I'm not exactly pumped. Unless I've missed something? Sure TAGs have gone down but I dont want them as an auto include! No new units, points increase on Rodoks. Umbras are as expensive and flimsy as hell as usual and no new Lt. I thought we would get neglected and i'm not wrong by the looks of it.

17. bladerunner_35

Take those Rodoks and build an army with them. It's MAF's time to shine baby!

18. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Meh. I was really hoping to be wrong, totally gutted.

You guys seen the point drops in Pan-o & YJ? I guess our points drops have come in the shape of TAGs but they're now an auto include?

I guess I'm just gutted we haven't got any new miniatures to add, or new wild cards past Dali...Not sure in another squishy link leader.

Feel left out of this big update.

#58 Morray, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Sergei Simonov likes this.
  19. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Partially copied from the other thread:
    • Nourkias, the Nexus Spitfire Nanoscreen and all Legates gained NCO, making it easier to use the LT Order without revealing who the LT is. With Nourkias and the Legates it could even be that Trooper.
    • Suryat LT with extra Order, to go with those NCOs.
    • Kerr-Nau is now a full Wildcard instead of counting as a Nexus.
    • Ko Dali is a full Wildcard. She's not as good at gaining Wounds as a Samaritan, but she can still get pretty beefy.
    • Suryats are up to AVA3 and give us a new Haris.
    • Samaritans now have regular Haris instead of being locked into 1 Samaritan + 2 Xeodrons.
    In terms of Fireteam variety, we've gone from 'one and a half' Haris options to three Haris options plus two full Wildcards (up from zero).

20. Stiopa

@ijw, what's with Rodoks Haris? Is it just missing, or is it gone for good?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation