1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcats

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Varsovian, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Vakarian

Vakarian Bad Nomad

Wildcat KHD forming a “Wildcat” Haris with an Evader w/ tinbot and one more option will be a ridiculously useful anti-hacker setup.

Also, it’s unlikely Jazz will keep any anti-hacker/KHD style programs in N4. So you’ll want a KHD in most lists.

By having a single Wildcat, Alguacil, and Jaguar in one combat group, you can reform a core link around any of them with the rest of your surviving wildcards. Corregidor is going to surpass Druze in keeping-the-core-link-alive shenanigans.

Remnar likes this.
  2. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how often this will come up, but I struggle to see how well will Evaders mix with Wildcats. Even if Wildcats are no longer 4-2 sloggers I see them as a ball and chain for the Climbing+ troops.

3. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

From what I've seen and heard KHDs are less of a rock paper scissors thing vs other Hackers.
    KHDs apparently don't just punch through a 2W BTS6 HI secured by a Firewall anymore, they're gonna struggle doing damage.
    HDs having Breaker Programs might be better suited to disable a HI Hacker than a KHD.

Depending on Sixth Sense and Fairy Dust, we might want to run regular HDs in Links. And KHDs are better off hidden under a Marker till their Active Turn. KHDs are going to remain the best option to assassinate an exposed Hacker. Not so much against a Core Linked and Fairy dusted KoJ HD. Who can just walk through Trinity AROs without much concern.

Mind you there's a lot of speculation in there, I do like that dynamic though.
    Horribly oversimplified:
    N4 - Sometimes bullets are better than Hacking, sometimes Hacking is scary, everything does something, nothing is ever ideal.
    N3 - HD buffs, AHD is sometimes good but mostly dies to Redrum or has no targets, KHD hard counters other Hacking and being unhackable beating Hacking altogether this is a massive improvement.

#23 Teslarod, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  4. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

That is super interesting and I hadn´t considered it... with Redrum out of the game, a 2W HD only has to fear Maestro (if it still exists). Trinity will not one shot you (except in a Critical) and with high BTS and a Tinbot a core-linked HI HD will be... tough.
    That actually gives the Brigada HD some life.

5. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

We don't know yet, how Trinity works in N4. Yes, the Name "Trinity" hints B3 in active, but maybe it's not the N3 Trinity, but Redrum on Steroids? So maybe Redrum with B3? Or Skullbuster with B3? Or Lightning with B3?

Noone knows. Okay, some know, but I don't.

I still hope for Bonus Programms on Mary, Interventor, Jazz, Valerya, Reverends (edit: and Zoe … we really have many of these Upgrades … I don't wanna loose them). I see no need to simplify hacking that much, I mean, it's no C1, is it?

#25 Spitfire_TheCat, Sep 22, 2020
    Willen likes this.
  6. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Agreed on the "Bonus Programs" especially to flavour HD Characters. However, we know most of the other programs are staying more or less the same from the examples (Spotlight, Carbonite and Assisted Jump).

Unless the ammo typo in Trinity changes (which I don´t think, B3 DA ammo is gross), and with what we know about the Crits, then 2W are going to be valuable in a hacker!

Spitfire_TheCat likes this.
  7. Spitfire_TheCat

And … with the loss of Brain Blast, a Killer Hacker can attack Non-Killer Hackers without the risk of taking a wound. I don't think this is cool, but … okay.

Edit: If I understood Bostria correctly, Controlled Jump does change, meaning, in ARO it does apply a negative modifier to the AD-Trooper, so it's some weaker Hack Transport.

8. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Not really weaker, it just looks they rolled Hack Transport and Controlled Jump into the same program, which is fine. With a tweak, if it really is a modifier and not a FTF (that is actually a nerf, you are right).

I am with you about not initially liking the lack of Brain Blast on the HD, but if we also have Carbonite and Oblivion, at least you can cause some "damage".

9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As per the video, it's a -3 MOD. Which is not a nerf, because it's more powerful than a FtF with a -6 MOD to your Hacker.

loricus likes this.
  10. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

H
    Haven´t run the math, so you are probably right, but exchanging a FtF rolla vs a simple -3 mod seemed like a nerf.

Rolling PH12 vs a WIP6-7 or a straigh PH9 roll tbm looks like a nerf.

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

PH 12 AD4 with Controlled Jump vs single WIP 14 Hacker N3: 66% of landing
    PH 12 AD4 with Controlled Jump vs single Controlled Jump N4: 60% of landing
    Biggest change is mostly which hacker has access to Controlled Jump and "Hack Transport Aircraft".
    Out of interest, if you are allowed or inclined to answer, does Controlled Jump stack across several EVO Hackers?

12. Spitfire_TheCat

That's interesting, right. And for our WIP15 hackers it looks like a nerf. Additionally … in N3 more hackers had access to Hack Transport.

In Vanilla I like playing both Interventor and Jazz, but it's unlikely I'll be playing 2 EVO-Hackers.

In our last game of N3 I had the above mentioned F2F-roll. PH12 AD4 (Akalis without Controlled Jump) vs. 2 Hack Transports, Interventor and Jazz.

I hope for bonus programs ...

Willen likes this.
  13. Mahtamori

An EVO Hacker in N4 is better than a WIP 15 Hacker in N3; a PH 12 AD4+ Trooper had 64%* chance of landing versus a single WIP 15 Hacker. So the nerf is in that the program was removed from regular Hacking Devices, not in the new program's functionality.

* The figure for me is an estimated 19% :(

14. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

A FtF roll with 12 (not adding help from evo, is not relevant) vs 9 (Wip 15-6) has higher chances to make the DA trooper fail than just a simple roll at 9 (12-3). Around a 45% chances of success for the simple roll, against around a 37,5 in the FtF roll if I am not mistaken. For lower WIP hackers things get "better", but not enough. For WIP 13, chances of success are 42,5%, still lower than 45%. You need WIP 12 for the hacker to be on equal terms for that single roll.

in this kind of rolls, FtF usually is way better

Willen likes this.
  15. Mahtamori

I'm curious how you arrived at those numbers. I get 37.75% when I simulate a WIP 19 Hack Transport Aircraft

P.s. how is +3 to PH for the AD trooper not relevant?
    P.p.s. Sorry for derailing your thread. Just popped in to ask IJW a cheeky question. 3 days waiting is agonizing :)

#35 Mahtamori, Sep 22, 2020
  16. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

mine are rough numbers without taking crits into account (They complicate the maths, but are not necesary to check if FtF roll is better than simple roll or not)

if we want to compare a -6 on the hacker in a FtF roll against a simple roll to -3 at the DA, a +3 bonus will allways be a +15% on his side in both results, that's why is not relevant for the comparative. They are not "relevant" from the hacker point of view (it is relevant for the DA to get more chances, but he will get the same amount of chances in both cases)

my maths (I might be a bit rusted in that)

a simple -3 roll on fis for a fis12 is a 9/20, a 45%

a ftf roll for fis 12 is 60%, minus the chances for the hacker to succed in a WIP-6. For a WIP 15, thats going to 9, a 45%, but halved. I am not counting crits because that complicates this too much (That's why I say "around", my numbers were not exact). 60-(45/2)=37,5

17. Mahtamori

Ah, I see, that is not going to produce a result anywhere near correct.

First and foremost, whether the AD4 trooper has Controlled Jump working for them is highly relevant - we're interested in whether they land or not, so a result where the AD4 trooper fails is a success for the Hacker.

Next up, the actual result (not the likelihood of success) is relevant to the face to face. The hacker has two thirds the success chance, but since the AD trooper is fairly likely to roll higher when the Hacker succeed their roll, you can't subtract the chance in that way.

Face to Face are really complicated stuff, but since we have only two outcomes in this case, it gets easier. What you're looking to express is "in the case the drop trooper rolls a success, how likely is the Hacker to roll higher".
    So, if the AD trooper has PH 12, you have 12 cases to handle; on a roll of 12 the Hacker can't win, on a roll of 8, 9, 10, or 11, the Hacker needs a 9 to win, then 8, 9 vs 7 and 7, 8, 9 vs 6 and so on. So out of a total of 12*20 outcomes 39 will result in Hacker victory (because each time the AD trooper rolls a success the Hacker has 20 potential outcomes). So the chance of the drop trooper landing becomes approximately 60%*((240-39)/240) = 50.25% (i.e.worse odds than 45% for the N4 EVO hacker)

If we increase the AD trooper's PH to 15 by applying an EVO bonus, we have 15*20 outcomes, an increase of 60 new equally possible outcomes, but since the Hacker can only beat a roll of 12 to 14 on a crit, the success outcomes increase by only 3 for 42 possible successful outcomes. 64.5% for N3 WIP 15 HD is worse than 60% for the N4 EVO.

#37 Mahtamori, Sep 22, 2020
    toadchild, loricus and Willen like this.
  18. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Even if the odds are worse, I like the idea of not having to worry about unlikely crits stopping a good AD roll. That happens uncommonly often for me. Anyways if they're keeping AD3 dropping wherever it wants I don't mind a very slight nerf (especially for the sake of simplicity) because it is STRONG.

Mahtamori likes this.
  19. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Also iif Hellcats superior AD does actually translate into the rumoured +3 to AD roll in N4 that's pretty awesome and improves the odds markedly.

If it stacks with the EVO program (which Nomads seem more likely to have) even better. Hellcats seem like they might fit the fluff great this edition.

Willen and loricus like this.
  20. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

I would love to tell my opponent that my best unit got a buff.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation