1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OctoBrrrrrr, it's getting cold! Speculation thread.

Discussion in 'News' started by colbrook, Jul 27, 2020.

1. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan Member

It is. Jump gets you no cover - ergo - no cover. Simplicity itself.

(To be honest - it works. Why? Because in general - the rules tend towards 'every "fire"action occurs at the optimum point in the "action" for maximum benefit' - you got caught in the air with no cover. Skeet shooting style.)

2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

You Jumped. There's no Cover, simple. How is this complicated?

3. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

It's a fair change, to be honest, but maybe too much paired with the movement nerf.

4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

You can fix the "TAG behind fire hydrant" absurdness and still keep it fast: "these items give cover to S1 to Sx only. Touch them, they get cover. All other S get no cover there." Make a list of items and S (fire hydrants S1; mail boxes, trash bins and small flower pots S1-S2; etc), or just 3 groups (decoration, cover for S1-Sx, everyone). No discussions, no ultraweird cases, minimal time lost (table check, or just remember... but never discussions).

5. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Having a 2 minute discussion before a game so both you and your opponent are on the same page when it comes to the terrain is a bad thing?
    I thought it was fairly standard practice and common courtesy to do a quick review of the terrain as well as open information, and during this process to can easily just go that curb, random street greeblie, lamp post, fire hydrant and the tabs extending from the building (think the kaldstom buildings) don't provide cover.

One of our locals has a MDF board with street curbs and other random 3d elements, and if I argued that I got cover because of them I'm fairly sure my opponents (or at the very least the TO) would start forcibly applying a heavy and blunt object to my brain pan until I stopped being an idiot.

Its going to be one of those common sense things, also as was said in a recent interview (paraphrasing), why is there a fire hydrant there and not an actual terrain piece?

That discussion pretty much prefaces every game in my community especially if one of the players isn't one of the weekly regulars or from out of town, cleans up so much stuff and mitigates the "I thought I was in full cover!", "No, that's a low vis heavy sat zone" discussions that would be guaranteed to show up otherwise.

Willen, Mahtamori, Modock and 3 others like this.
  6. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

I'm genuinely perplexed that the fact the new rules might require some table discussion is considered new or challenging?

Do some people just genuinely not play very often? Or are these conversations not something they do on the regular?

Cthulhu363, Willen, Urobros and 9 others like this.
  7. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

Alternatively, they either want to pull some gotcha bullshitshit because they feel they need that edge or they are just whinging about a non issue due to boredom.

8. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely curious how many folks have fire hydrant mini's on their boards. :)

Urobros, Modock, Lesh' and 4 others like this.
  9. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

If it wasn’t this, it’d be something else.

Cthulhu363, Panzerschwein and Lesh' like this.
  10. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

It's very simple, if you believe something should give one of your models cover I will give you a piece of chipboard cut to the same scale versus your height IRL. Then we'll take it outside the LGS where I'll give your opponent a bucket of wrenches to throw at you while you protect yourself with your "cover".

If you're still standing after he's done your model gets cover.

11. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

You must be fun at parties.

Splod, ev0k, Teslarod and 5 others like this.
  12. Triumph

[​IMG]
    Incidentally I believe those are in fact actually pretty popular at parties.

ev0k likes this.
  13. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Ashen_Seeker and McDevil like this.
  14. Triumph

I'm not sure how we'd implement wall banging as a mechanic in Infinity.

15. Armihaul

Armihaul Well-Known Member

jumping never allowed for cover, the same as climbing. Where is the change in there?

also, I've seen tables with lamps, yes, but only at interplanetario by certain companies putting their special promotional tables, or some special tables from a big club. Most tables have scatter terrain big enought so a TAG could get cover but also could move through it without problems and places where they got total cover too, but not lamps, hydrants and so.

mine for example have a few pallets, but because they bring low gameplay by themselves, I use litle boxes with them, that bring special features, like boxes that usually don't give total cover, give it thanks to the extra height of the pallet, or give troopers a bit extra in LoV. I have to build some elevators (which usually arent either inside buildings) and external stairs. Those external stair usually were decoration because they were not big enough (but way bigger than lamp posts), now they will have more usefullness and interesting options at the table dessign process

kesharq and Urobros like this.
  16. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure fire hydrants are getting really damned common as we speak ;)

Vocenoctum and RobertShepherd like this.
  17. Padre

Padre Well-Known Member

This should be a separate thread, but what the hell. I am happy that CB is streamlining cover rules. I'm willing to accept exotic edge cases that may seem unrealistic just to avoid much more common dilemmas that break the flow of the game. We could have endless discussions about the mechanisms of jump-shooting: about how you need to jump high enough to actually aim your gun, that you have limited control mid-air, that your aim suffers... but do we REALLY need to address all this? Keeping it simple and accepting that once every 1000 games you'll hit a lamp post instead of a TAG is perfectly fine. This is supposed to be a game, not a simulation.

Besides, if your tactics relied on 'fun' exploits like jumping 1mm over an obstacle and shooting a gun with your forehead while taking cover, then CB not catering to you is a good thing.

[​IMG]

#437 Padre, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  18. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

I really don't understand the problem with the "superjump" rule. It is almost the same as in N3 and there it works fine. Now is simplier because in fact you do "movement", so if in a fireteam you can move superjumping and the others guys stil could move. No cover while superjumping? Is not a surprise, you know before take the "superjump" so, think about it and choose if do it or not to do it. Simple. Sometimes is really hard to take meassures horizontally, not speak vertically + horizontally. So, keep it simple. In this "rule" we don't need more "complexity". Back in N2 superjump was "awful" because people don't move the figure, they only said: "I shoot from here, where nobody more can see me and where I have cover against your ARO" and asked to move the figure and place in the spot he wanted it was only a matter to prolongate the game a lot and maybe an argument, so, welcomme the simplicity here.

Same if the cover can be taken now simplier... I truly never understand the necesity of that 1/3, which was more problematic than helpfull, now, if the enemy can't see your whole "half" silhouette, then you gets cover. The only "complexity" remain now is the 3x3 mm square of the "sil."

19. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

What? Do you have information about Fireteam rules changes we don´t? Does Fireteams no longer need to declare the exact same skills?

20. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Super-Jump still requires the user to declare Jump rather than Move.

Dragonstriker, ev0k, Errhile and 2 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation