1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OctoBrrrrrr, it's getting cold! Speculation thread.

Discussion in 'News' started by colbrook, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Yeah, WIP / PH rolls for deployment of critical and/or expensive units are what I do my best to avoid. I'd gladly pay top points for a guaranteed enemy DZ infiltrator.

Xeurian likes this.
  2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

It depends on what the risk vs reward is, and what mission. Quadrant missions are ones that I'll regularly take rolls on a Guilang for if I spot an exploitable opening in my opponent's line to bust up a link team or nail an LT. If I fail the Guilang starts on the table edge next to a quadrant anyway and just moves into it to contest, which is what they'd probably be doing regardless just putting points in zones if I didn't take the roll.

In that case, low risk, high reward. There's no real negative downside beyond giving away the identity of a couple of camo markers if I botch the rolls. But if pass one or two rolls, huge swing in my favour.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  3. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

We compare to try to figure out what the N3 profiles might be like.

As of now, You can see the base Evader is superior to the base Haidao.

Both are 24pts, HI, 1W+NWI, 0-G, BS13 but the Haidao has less skills and lesser weapons. CB has three choices with it:
    1. Add skills and/or weapons, (or skills they have are much better than now)
    2. Make Haidao cheaper.
    3. Do nothing.
    1 or 2 will make people happy, 3 will not.

And as we can see Evaders even have AVA2 in Vanilla. YJ has AVA1 of Haidao.

The same can be said for the Sombras vs. Zhencha.
    The stats are almost exactly the same except Sombras BTS6, both 1W+NWI. I'm not sure what Sombra would be considered the base. I'm guessing the SO with Breaker at 39pts. The Zhencha at 37pts has less BTS, not Shock Immune, hackable, and much shorter ranged weapons. So they have the same 3 options above.

#363 Space Ranger, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Stiopa likes this.
  4. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

It's just for a discount, same way 1W NWI Shock Immunity works, same way SMG used to work. You don;t have ability to risk a stupid thing, you loose 4" from the wise thing, it costs less points total. EZ. Infiltration will still be the exact same, maybe slight changes to make us more inclined towards risky game (PH roll - sure).

Spitfire_TheCat likes this.
  5. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

All this gaming of their point "formula" is really infuriating

Guardian, Berjiz and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  6. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

Well, exchanging Infltration with FD2 to save some points is not gaming the points formula. You get what you pay for. You essentially get 4 Inch less Deployment and save some points (or one point, I don't know). Otherwise BS12 instead of BS13 to save a point or two would also be "gaming the points formula".

The only question is: Are the points you pay to get "real" infiltration over FD2 worth it.

Willen and SpectralOwl like this.
  7. SpectralOwl

In my experience it depends on the unit and the scenario. The first is actually desirable and helps shake up the relative strengths of each faction. The second really isn't; I basically can't take my MRRF into tournaments with exclusion zones because I'm wasting too many points on deployment skills I can't use as I need to. Good units for full Infiltration are things like Locusts and Ninja that can actually use the roll once in a while, and want to start as close as possible to the enemy or the objective.

8. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

After the video latest friday I'am a little concern for the rule "terrain", being something "positive" people will be more agree to play terrains, but... what will happens with that amazing troups which now have a really good base movement like "Achilles" or "The Sphinx"? Have someone thought that in N4, if no others changes come, Achilles if terrain will move 7" + 5" (30cm) and the Sphinx 7"+7" (35cm)? This could be some kind of aberration in game terms. They don't need more mobility.

9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Do we even know whether it's zero-sum for terrain (terrain gives -1" in both values, skill gives you +1", zeroing it out) or it's an actual bonus?

10. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

As wrote is only a + bonus.

11. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

I doubt people will use terrain zones more often. They're kind of a pain - they slow down play and everyone forgets them constantly, especially me.

There seems to be a subcategory of TTS tables that use a lot of terrain zones, so I've played with them more than usual recently, and it definitely hasn't made me want to use them more. Although, people almost invariably want to make terrain zones also be saturation and low-viz zones, which are even harder to remember. Pure terrain zones might be all right.

Aside from the added complexity and memory work, my biggest issue with terrain zones is that they confer an advantage on a player that doesn't come from that player's good strategy. Like, if we play in a jungle and the table has lots of jungle zones all over it, then I'm rewarded for having decided to bring SAA. I'd rather be rewarded for making good decisions, not have advantages conferred arbitrarily.

Hmm, this got pretty off-topic. To the topic, my point is that giving +1mov to terrain units in their home terrain doesn't seem likely to make terrain zones any less rare, so it seems like a non-issue to me.

Berjiz and Spitfire_TheCat like this.
  12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm currently making a table with lots of terrain on it (it's a eco tourisn vacation resort that's been coopted into a black ops staging site - I'm a tiny bit over my head so working slower than usual) and am opting for specific effects rather than zones - forest terrain allows you to freely walk through bushes, water terrain is the most boring one with a bunch of brooks, and I'm planning on letting vines on rocks let mountain terrain unit use as ladders to climb large stone pillar features.
    When done I'll make an info sheet and use magic the gathering icons for forest, mountain and water key words :D

13. Triumph

Depends on your group. Here we have a group that's fairly interested in using terrain zones in the terms of building tables. In particular there's been a table one member has been mentally crafting for some time, essentially like a half and half table on an asteroid, one half interior fire base, the other half zero G asteroid exterior.

There's been some long running discussion as how to actually make that work though under N3 in a way that both allows the table to modularise for replayability and flexibility in set up, while also not causing the Zero G to utterly fuck everyone over who isn't a Nomad.

With the N4 change though it's probably quite viable and easy to do while allowing the table to still have an impact through its theme.

Tourniquet likes this.
  14. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

That sounds like an extreme table, though. 2-3 areas maybe 8” across would be more normal, and you don’t have to/shouldn’t make them all the same Terrain type - have some marshy areas and the Jungle units are suddenly in as much trouble as everyone else.

Plus all the usual complaints about MSVs being too situational and too dependant on your opponent’s list disappear if tables usually have 1-2 Low Visibility Zones on them somewhere.

Xeurian and emperorsaistone like this.
  15. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

True, I've seen some extreme TTS tables recently which may be skewing my worldview. I agree that if a table had a variety of different terrain zones, the problem of favouring specific armies would be solved. On the other hand, that would make the table that much more complicated.

I guess I've never agreed with that complaint. I think of MSV as one of the most important skills in the game, almost an auto-include. It doesn't seem necessary to make it even more powerful by putting up low-viz zones for it to look through. Maybe I'm biased because my two Mukhtars are already so good, when you give them a low-viz zone it just gets gross.

I should try putting together a table with a variety of different terrain zones, all of which are only difficult terrain (no low-viz or saturation). I might like that better.

16. Triumph

Specifically that was a long running complaint about MSV1, not so much MSV2 because most people who wanted to kill something with an MSV2 gunner brought smoke to combo with.

But if you had a forest a Guilang sniper could park its ass behind as an ARO with its MSV1 suddenly gets alot more dangerous than its stats would have you believe.

#376 Triumph, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  17. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

im out of the loop what changed with superjump?

18. Triumph

Can't fall anymore, jump needs to end on a surface or the movement is retroactively cancelled. So pogo shooting got cut in half and being able to parkour dive off buildings for distance basically got removed.

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  19. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

I purchased some thin synthetic fleece and cut it into amorphous shapes to place on the table for different terrain zones. Gradually darkening colors to represent thickening terrain.

Mahtamori likes this.
  20. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

And unless there are further specifics to Super-Jump that aren't in CodeOne; units with 4-4 movement can't Short-skill jump over obstacles that they can't also Vault over.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation