1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Betrayal - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Knauf, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

So I received my copy today and blasted through it right away. First off, I'm fairly happy with the quality of the drawings and, with YJ front and center, the story was right up my alley as well.

What really surprised me in a positive way is that Ko Dali and the Combined Forces were depicted as very relatable, especially in the conclusion of the story. When Nourkias as his team arrived to confront the Supreme Loyalty, it almost looked like an A-Team like ensemble with some nice reaction shots of Ko Dali witnessing her team fight (and die) around her.

Combined Forces being "just people" is a theme I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting them to be so upfront about it. Anyway, I really enjoyed that particular angle and it gave me a good reason to finally assemble the Mentor I had lying around for a while now.

Adil was a nice vehicle for the exposition of Ko Dali's reasoning and displaying the tensions between the ISS and the IA, but other than that I didn't get a lot out of his character. I'm also not sure about the implications of the ending. Did he get demoted and shipped off to Svalarheima to bridge the gap to DF:Retailiation? His actual status as the ambassador's body guard/agent is left fairly vague in the DF fluff, so I'm not sure where to place Betrayal chronologically. We already know that we're getting a HI Adil with the Betrayal Character Set, and I wonder how they are going to implement that profile.

2. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

I really liked the "humanizing" of the Combined Army. The infighting shows that they are not a monolithic, single minded entity and they have their own thoughts and feelings. I play CA and always thought it was like that, but seeing it in print, just brings it to life. I've never used Ko Dali in my lists...but i need to now.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  3. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Adil makes no sense in White Banner. No idea why he's in the sectorial other than another character wildcard.

4. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I got my copy today I must admit I'm a bit disappointed.
    The artwork is ok I guess. I liked action scenes but many static panels were boring with overused raster gradient backgrounds. The Outrage had much more variety and more interesting page layouts.

I found plot to be uninspiring and inconsistent. Like this super secret YJ base with all devices to hide it, yet CA was not able to track it just by observing shuttles coming from orbit or following supply lines. I'm not sure if I missed something but the way Adil went for a ride to see some ground action and found secret shsvastii outpost was really convenient. Also I cannot understand why Mehmut wasn't killed at the end by Nourkias. Everyone just high-fived and parted ways.

It wasn't a bad read but plot including an imperial service agent, former undercover agent and shas impersonators could be so much better :expressionless:

5. LeeroyVinland

LeeroyVinland O-12 Agent

Also Crane Armour breaks after one hit but Invincible Armour is Chad.

6. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

I really like it, I came in as Yu Jingaboo and got my fill of fan service, but Ko Dali and the CA really stole the show. I have a morat army in the fridge, but this (and my sparkly new LE Ko Dali) will encourage me to branch out.

I like this Portrayal of the Combined Army. It is more interesting than the monolithic NPC faction I had the impression of.

7. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that found the comic pretty bad? From the awful Ko Dali characterization ("meh, I just went over to the FLIPPIN ALIEN ENEMY because they were giving me better fares and an iPhone, who cares? I'm totally unfazed by this") to the clueless idiot than Adil is when he is supposed to be one of the top investigative agents of the "second superpower"? I mean, between this and Uprising, I'm having real trouble picturing how Yu Jing can be a threat to anything, let alone PanO besides because Gutier says so and we have to believe the gospel.

8. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

What I got from the story is that, after her father got killed, she basically realised how senseless the war between the human factions is and joined the EI hoping that it had a greater purpose or vision for the universe. Or at least that's how she justifies it after the fact. She was captured and likely brainwashed to some extent after all, so it's probably left vague on purpose.

9. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

I didn't feel it was left vague, I mean, she acts like defecting to aliens (I mean, it's not just another faction, it's freaking aliens) is just a stroll through the mall for her, and the comic gives exactly 0 innuendo about her being brainwashed. The comic 100% presents her like just a normal human who happens to chill with aliens because reasons and also somehow bosses them around because she is Kerrigan (except she has none of Kerrigan's backstory so there are no reasons for her to be the boss)

10. Triumph

Felt vague to me. I had alot of questions about Ko Dali, none were answered.

11. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

If you are disillusioned with the world, defecting to the aliens may not be such a crazy proposition. People have done worse for the same reason. As for why she is bossing people around, I guess she is just an outstanding warrior, which will naturally lead to a position of importance in a military context.

Don't know about Kerrigan, I never cared for 40k. :speak_no_evil:

12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Starcraft was meant to be a Warhammer computer game, but it is a bit of a stretch calling Kerrigan a 40k character. Not like Kerrigan's backstory is particularly... erm... intellectual... even compared to 40k standards.

Traitors usually don't get places of prominence, though. Cush living conditions, sure, but places of trust... not so much. So that suggests she's proven herself multiple times over... or is completely brain controlled/replaced.

13. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Or that the EI just has a different approach to loyalty and its inherent value over, say, conviction to fight for a better cause.

That's also the interesting thing about her opening up to Adil eventually. She might look completely honest and warming up to him in a way, but maybe she just realised Adil was particularly receptive to her suggestions (especially since he's somewhat of an outsider in his own faction to begin with). It's entirely possible that KoDali is really just a sophisticated construct that managed to acquire a possible future ally within YJ, sow a seed, so to say.

This would also explain why they just let him live at the end. Killing him would have been the obvious thing to do.

Dragonstriker and Willen like this.
  14. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Hopefully not, Id rather not have to shoot Adil in the back of the head

Or worse, have to play him in CA.

15. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

I'm also wandering about last few panels. When Adil ponders on the decision why Ko Dali was not killed when was in YJ custody, the ambassador reply that emperor has his own reasons. Is it a hit she become double agent or I'm reading too much into this?

16. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Well, we know from Uprising that the Emperor is a fucking idiot, so he might think that. It might even come true thanks to Gutier's writing.

Dragonstriker and Del S like this.
  17. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

That would be uber trolling. To release Adil as a WB member just to add him to CA few months later with N4.

18. Del S

Del S Tunguskaball

Emperor YuJing: Don't kill her.
    Ambassador Man: But...
    Emperor: If we do that we can't have a limited edition mini with the graphic novel. Adil already has a general release and so do you. It's the same box, even.
    Ambassador: Oh.
    Emperor: Anyway how's that thing I told you about letting the Japanese have more autonomy going?
    Ambassador:
    Ambassador: They rebelled like three years ago.
    Emperor: Aha, so a huge success. Another victory!

SpectralOwl, Dragonstriker and Knauf like this.
  19. Triumph

The next book is "UPRISING: MEGA EDITION" and the whole of YJ defects to the CA.

20. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

The emperor is a Speculo

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation