1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the 15 unit limit a good design choice?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by redeemer, Aug 16, 2020.

?

is the 15 unit limit for ITS rule a good change or not

1. yes

147 vote(s)
    81.2%
  2. no

34 vote(s)
    18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObviousGray

ObviousGray Frenzied Mushroom

The thread is going full one man stand-up comedy show, keep it up; its amusing to watch while in quarantine.

2. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

It's surprising how much people love order spam. 15 orders in plenty to play around with. Interesting profiles will be used instead of the cheapest ones.

3. Devil_Tiger

Devil_Tiger Your Friendly Neighborhood Asura

I find it truly fascinating that peoples keep engaging with that person, any conversation he take part in or initiate turns into a trash fire.

4. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

So why am I running 17+ Orders anyway in N3 again?

Do I think it's great fun to roll FTF roll after FTF roll vs expendable troops with Smoke, decent Dodge (and DTWs) who are inconsequential to my opponent's plans?
    Is the 5th Order spent on moving in position to open up Discover+Shoot for the next Order great tactical gameplay?
    Is every corner covered by a Chainrifle something only a mastermind could come up with?

...oh right, I run 17+ Ordes to chew through the Combat group of chaff, Perimeter and Mines and still get something done.

5. RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG Still wandering through the Night

No, they've said that the N4 Fireteam Rules will be available from the start as an online download, just not in the printed book. They're thinking about changes related to future releases, but they will be essentially the same as N3 fireteams at the start.

As for Sectorial issues and removing from the game, I'll point out that ALEPH finally got their second sectorial in late N3, and we just got told that they are going to be taking the first one oop shortly after N4 launches. Despite that, I'm not too worried about the existence of my army.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  6. Wizardlizard

Wizardlizard Well-Known Member

Okay CB does the army thing much better than most game companies. You can still play them, they still refresh models when they get a chance...although old models still needed to make the sect work. Finally they also let you proxy in a ridiculous way which can allow you to make a very cool and different looking sectorial.

Tohaa...okay tohaa players are salty and some of the most rabid fans of any army in any game ever. Tohaa were killed off...and this one i believe means killed off... foe the same reason the squats were killed off. They don't fit the rules or feel of the world and the designers feel they cant do them justice so better to let them fade away until they can....which may be never. Although I actually think we'll see squats again in the next 5 years, and a sad day that will be.

Caledonia is absolutely going to be retired from the active list. The 3 Ariadna sectorials will be merica, Russia and space Russians. Neo gets retired and think correigador too after update. Nature of the beast. Now players can become that guy that plays that faction no one else does.

15 order limit fits the lore, makes for more interesting and varied armies and battles, was a crutch for competitive play and is a forceful and elegant way to address a major threat to the game. As armies and data started to show a lean towards ultra competitive large unit count lists cb stepped in to save their game as they push to recuit a whole new generation. Steamforged games killed gb but they have a point that competitive players took over the game and stangled new players with slow play boring grindy play. 15 plus ordwr lists are that for infintiy.

#186 Wizardlizard, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie, I've been thoroughly turned around when it comes to the complete list of which sectorials are going into the fridge and which ones aren't, but I'm fairly sure USARF is here to stay. CB doesn't seem to want to put armies with plenty of 3D-sculpted miniatures in the fridge.

Forum fires are funny in that way; the person who brings the fuel can't bring the fire, and there's plenty of people who likes to play with lit torches on the forums.

bladerunner_35 and Devil_Tiger like this.
  8. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

One thing I was discussing with a friend was how the 15 Trooper limit frees up all list building. Those who (as they should) took advantage of their armies inexpensive order batteries now have different options to play with, and those having to defend against that human tide now have different options as well. It’s quite refreshing, if you allow yourself to look at it that way.

Berjiz, Dragonstriker, Solar and 10 others like this.
  9. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Now you're just being rude, mate.

Just because they didn't change the cost for one piece of wargear YOU wanted to have updated doesn't mean they will not rebalance other stuff. Just look at the Hassassin TAG and it is clear high armor is getting a considerable discount, and we will see cheaper TAGs in N4.

It's important to remember that we, as players, often think we know what is better for the product, but in the end it is still CB's decision.

As I said earlier, I am not 100% happy with this change myself, but I think it may be positive in the long run, so I will withhold any negative comments I may have until I see the full picture.

10. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

So they are not releasing N4 fireteam rules, they are releasing N3 Fireteam rules and at an undisclosure moment in the future they'll come up with N4 fireteam rules.

theradrussian likes this.
  11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

Ah.. but again, is it clear? While the Haqq TAG is certainly cheap, you also have (as already pointed out) the Yu Jing list played for the battle report which, even when it's sporting 3 HI, is only 10 points cheaper than its N3 counterpart? So what's happening here? Also, it seems hacking got buffed, which is a direct nerf to HI/TAG effectiveness; compound this with the amount of NWI/Shock Inmunity non Hackable elite units popping up and one can't help but wonder why would you want to bring HI to the table (again)

Or maybe instead of fixing ARM ridiculous overprice they just reduced only the TAG costs because reasons?

The one thing that's clear is that we're obviously missing information, but what we know doesn't seem to point in the direction of better HI/TAGs

Edit: also the fact that seemingly SMG cost remains untouched even when it was widely considered one the mainstay problems for N3 doesn't fill me with hope about other obviously undercosted "cheats" to the system, like Frenzy in a link (specially because we aren't getting N4 link rules)

12. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Three things (tohaa player, after all):

1. we don't know what things will cost. assuming they did or didnt balance something correctly based on the handful of profiles we have now is a fool's errand.

2. retirements are inevitable, but these recent ones have included several new sculpts for the army being rotated out.

3. deep down, i think CB would prefer to _fully_ retire some armies to advance the story of the world, but are keeping some of them in because of fan complaints (cha, mrrf, tohaa all come to mind). look at how they handled JSA - i i think thats what they'd prefer from a design and story perspective.

13. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

didnt SSA get shelved after receiving new sculpts?

14. Mahtamori

Uh. Is that Aconticimiento or Steel Phalanx? I don't recognise the acronym.

Is that army really thoroughly updated to 3D-sculpts at this point or are you talking about a few releases that they might pipe to neighbouring sectorials?

15. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Do you think we will see lists like those in N4?

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────
    GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    KAMAU (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)
    FUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
    CUTTER Lieutenant MULTI HMG / . (3 | 115)
    [​IMG] CRABBOT Flash Pulse / Knife. ()
    MACHINIST (Varuna Div.) (CH: Mimetism, Stealth, Aquatic Terrain) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 17)
    PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    PALBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
    ZULU-COBRA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Jammer / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
    ZULU-COBRA (Forward Observer) Breaker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 26)
    FUGAZI DRONBOT Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]3
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9)
    HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9)
    6 SWC | 300 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

16. Mahtamori

That looks absolutely disgusting. I hate it. Well done.

Yes, we'll probably see a few variations on that theme. We're playing a good bye N3 tournament this weekend using hybrid N3/4 rules and the test matches we've had so far have indicates that the changed crit mechanics are a good thing for the game and list variety.

Devil_Tiger likes this.
  17. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

With the upcoming resculpts of models for factions that have been removed or are facing removal (Paracommando & Mirage-5 for MRRF, SAS for Caledonia), you have to wonder if this isn't "the Chasseur treatment" all over again. I'd love them to re-release MRRF and Scots, I really would. But I don't trust them anymore, especially after "the year of the Tohaa".

Do those factions have models as old as MRRF or Caledonia? Is any of them as complete profiles-to-models as USARF? Honest question, I don't have deep knowledge of these factions.

That's my whole point here. I don't know stuff will be removed, but at this point I am afraid to keep my almost complete Ariadna collection and not sell it, because they might become minis for a removed faction overnight, with no warning. I don't trust CB not to do me over like that after MRRF and Tohaa and their initial intention of not bringing the removed factions into N4 at all.

The fact that it took stomping all over the Forum and almost setting it on fire in protest for CB to give an unequivocal answer that wasn't a leak from an employee saying something at an obscure convention in Moscow is reason enough for me to not feel safe about my Ariadna collection.

18. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

If a friend play that list, that will be the last time im gonna play against him

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  19. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

So many things that would break a brain in sane times are hilarious in these times...

Dragonstriker and Devil_Tiger like this.
  20. Joametz

Joametz Chinese Empire in Space enthusiast

Just a friendly reminder that you can ignore users so their "posts" don't show up on the thread. Life changing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation