1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB, does the Volkolak profile REALLY need a hate symbol on its patch?

Discussion in 'News' started by Nuada Airgetlam, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Ah yes, dog-whistling. Though it's CB, so we can rule out any foul play on their part.

Of course Deus Vult is a meme. But there's quite a lot of people who really have this attitude. And yeah, there's quite a lot of such clowns in wargaming. They also tend to be more visible on the internet, to the point where they're becoming a meme themselves. Here's an example:

GW: <changes something in the lore, or releases something new>
    clowns: "Is this SJW propaganda?"

2. NickNick

NickNick Well-Known Member

From the tone in this thread and the fact that nothing productive will emerge from it, this will be closed in 3,2,1,...

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  3. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that the triskele used in that unit symbol is really a Nazi-adjacent symbol, or at least notably so. It is not unreasonable to want to be careful about the use of terminology and symbology in a game which is inspired by real world history (which is why long and fruitful debates have been had on things like the use of Kempetei and Securitate as troop types), but I don't believe this symbol in of itself could really be mistaken as a White Supremacist or Fascist symbol unless it was specifically being used by one of those groups (in the same way that the Cross of Lorraine isn't a White Supremacist symbol but it has been used by White Supremacists, or the Union Flag, or whatever).

That said, as a community Wargamers are staunchly opposed to the idea that Wargaming communities could be rife with awful views (which they often are) and therefore it is galling to see a response to it which immediately dismisses the idea that such a conversation is worth having or that the concerns raised merit debate.

chaos11, toadchild, Berjiz and 7 others like this.
  4. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Deus Vult is a meme and I agree that White Supremacists who take it seriously are thick as pigshit, however, there absolutely are people who say that stuff and believe it in the context of hating Islam and wanting to conquer the ME or whatever insanity they've come up with, and taking the problem these people pose seriously is hardly unreasonable, quite the opposite

prophet of doom, Berjiz and Stiopa like this.
  5. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

And let's not forget the whole Tech-Bee "Coolies" bit.
    Or the fact that they chose to have a weird Nordic 'nationalist' movement be the background for some of the Svalarheim characters.

Solar likes this.
  6. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

The Tech-Bees were bad, but I am under the impression that the Nordic Nationalists are bad guys who the badass dire foes dude was brainwashed by but now hunts down?

Stiopa likes this.
  7. Devil_Tiger

Devil_Tiger Your Friendly Neighborhood Asura

Well the problem is... The World is full of peoples with awful views and ideas, they're present in any and all communities, and they're always peoples who think their views are the best and the most humanistic, because everyone's the hero of his or her own story.

The thing is, you're never going to convince anybody over the internet, and in person, well shunning or yelling at peoples with bad views (or beating the fuck out of them as it seems ot be fashionable nowadays) is not going to achieve anything (except maybe give you warm fuzzy feelings if that's what you're after), you'll just put them out of sight and out of mind and their views are not going to get any better, in fact, they're most likely to get worse.

I just wish peoples took a page out of Daryl Davis' book and focused on what peoples had in common rather than what separate them. (By the way to anyone who don't know who Daryl Davis is, i URGE YOU to go read some stuff on him posthaste, this man is a treasure.)

(Note: all that apply as long as it remain a matter of words, written or spoken, if some idiot go around with a pointy hat, hanging black peoples from trees or set the house of jews on fire or burn rich peoples in their car while waving a copy of Das Kapital or gun down peoples in a mosque, well none of this apply and any appropriate amount of violent opposition is entirely justified as far as i'm concerned, if only for the sake of self defense.)

As for that... Well i'm more worried of the agenda of powerful governments on that matter, because some sitlords on /pol are not going to run a crusade to Damas or Anschluss Poland anytime soon. And if they do i wanna watch.

Then there's always the case of isolated assholes doing horrific things, but how are you going to solve that? Put a cop behind every person? Maybe if we didn't systematically banish those peoples to the depths of the Internet we could keep an eye on their nonsense.

8. kanluwen

Honestly, maybe they changed the stuff to read that way...but it's still just so frigging weird to have the nonsensical pseudo-Viking.

Wasn't Uma Sorensen part of the same group in the fluff?

9. kanluwen

The point. You're missing it.

This isn't a case of "out of sight, out of mind". It's a case of "We don't have to put up with this shit to begin with".
    We don't want something that these people can latch on to as an example of how their views are potentially tolerable. And that's what letting it into games messages to them.

10. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

I feel like this is all rather incoherent, tbh. Your suggestion seems to be totally just accept that people are shitty to each other, but also that it's okay to resist if someone is proposing violence against you which... Viewpoints such as white supremacy and such absolutely do, they're calls to violence. So this is the resistance of that. You don't want these people banished to the depths of the Internet and you don't want them to be argued against because we can't change their mind so you... Want a bunch of Nazis wandering around saying Nazi shit in the open without anyone arguing back?

And that you want to watch if things like that do happen is fucking sketch mate. I'm not being funny but...

Anyway as far as I am concerned there's zero acceptable tolerance for Nazis, white supremacists, weird neo crusaders and far-right incels posting kek memes etc etc etc. If you think otherwise we're never going to agree.

prophet of doom and colbrook like this.
  11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

This thread[​IMG]

Zewrath, Dragonstriker, fari and 3 others like this.
  12. kanluwen

People got on my ass about the Desperados and Hardcases and the messaging that sent here in the US. I personally know of at least two people who got turned way the hell off Infinity when the fluff for those units came out and when the Desperados showed up with the Confederate flags.

This isn't a fricking historical game. It's not realism. People love to throw that line at me a lot.

So don't look at real world iconography. Stop trying to sneak in 'historical references'(which in many instances are just plain poorly used anyways; looking at you Minutemen and Merrill's Marauders in the USARF).

Make something new.

NickNick, Nuada Airgetlam and Solar like this.
  13. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Trying to have a conversation here mate do you mind

Teleute, Stiopa and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  14. AlbtheA

AlbtheA Well-Known Member

@Nuada Airgetlam thanks for pointing this out.

I’m not going to buy the models if this remains an issue.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  15. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Gutier has already said that he listens to metal and Volkolak is a russian metal band. But the fluff can transform the thing or mean something about the Russian faction in the background. Wait before you throw the stones. Development of the background of the space wolf for example.

A Mão Esquerda, Stiopa and Abrilete like this.
  16. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

It's not a conversation if you are convinced only your point of view matters

17. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't take your... (checks notes) post consisting entirely of a monty python gif seriously

borisgreymenace, Nat Lanza and Stiopa like this.
  18. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

And here I am liking the Desperado sculpt exactly because he is a lunatic hillbilly werewolf hunter. It will always be a matter of preference, so lets not conflate that with real life politics an morality.

19. AlbtheA

AlbtheA Well-Known Member

This guy hasn’t figured out none liked his gif.

Solar likes this.
  20. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

We can only hope and pray...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation