1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metallic paint in Infinity

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by m2cat, Jul 7, 2020.

?

How does it look?

1. Yay!

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Nay...

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. m2cat

m2cat Active Member

Knauf [InfinityTheGame] - Imgur.png

jherazob likes this.
  2. Law Dawg

Law Dawg Well-Known Member

I voted yay for the armor part. Not sure about the gun though.

3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

The thing about metallic paint is to use best paint you can find (no huge metal flakes), and then apply in similar fashion to NMM, even with a bit of matt paint for the shadows. That way you get a metal that reacts to eye-model-light position changes.
    [​IMG]
    Compare the sword tip in top right and bottom left. Or the shoulder pad in left pictures. Or the neck cover in all three. Things are shaded, yet they change a bit (instead of dead NMM).

Dragonstriker, RAF, Willen and 2 others like this.
  4. m2cat

m2cat Active Member

Fair enough because I've covered shoulderpad with plain and a toned down metallic and two glazes, but gun is a plain base with black wash.
    Thanks for ference, I'm not good at NMM and I tried to adapt TMM technic to use only one metallic colour. I've used Vallejo Metal Color and applied it with brush. It has fine flakes but becomes grainy when dilluted. For darker tone I added black wash. Also an old phone camera plus JPEG compression made photo not so nice.

#4 m2cat, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Not sure if could help you but here is a few things from my personal experience with metallic paints:
    - always use metallic over a black base
    - avoid water with metallic (some people can but I always end with too much water), use medium instead
    - I find metallic to quickly ruin brushes if you don't clean them regularly
    - the only metallic paint I use water with good result is gun metal grey over a zénithal priming for blades (once again it may be only me)
    - if you want metallic paints with really thin pigment, I recommend the Vallejo Air ranges. They are so thin and the layer so smooth that I had to mat varnish it before applying another paint over it (very specific here but you get the idea).

Belgrim, Law Dawg, m2cat and 4 others like this.
  6. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

Like Koin-koin : AV Air metallic paints are amazing : excellent coverage, extra thin pigments and super fluid !

m2cat likes this.
  7. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Honestly, the best metallic paints i've seen so far are still the Vallejo Metal line

Belgrim and Koin-Koin like this.
  8. Devil_Tiger

Devil_Tiger Your Friendly Neighborhood Asura

To elaborate a little on that, do not, ever use metallic paints with natural brushe, especially expensive kolinsky ones like Raphael 8404, W&N Serie 7, Artis Opus, etc

Metallic paints are made with tiny flakes of alluminium and other metals as "pigments", they will shred natural bristles and ruin the brush eventually, no matter how much and how well you clean them.

9. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

I am partial to the Scale75 metals, but Vallejo Air is very good as well. TMM with heavy opaque shading is the way to go in my opinion for best results.

For Infinity, I like how metallics can look in stuff like swords, or small bits, but not really for anything else to be honest.

m2cat likes this.
  10. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Agreed. I suspect the air to be the same in smaller bottles.

m2cat likes this.
  11. maru

maru Well-Known Member

so this is a Infinity mini with metalic paint ... made like 15 years ago .. today i would make it different (way better)
    AcQBiIJ.jpg
    so yes you can just consider Metalic a Non metalic and just shade it acordingly effect is nice if made well as with everything

m2cat and jherazob like this.
  12. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I think it's great in moderation and where it makes sense. I also don't think letting it be really shiny is good either.

m2cat likes this.
  13. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Gurutz29, KwarkyMats, ev0k and 8 others like this.
  14. m2cat

m2cat Active Member

Guys and gals and nonhumans, I apreciate all recommendations and try to press myself and finish this miniature.

Law Dawg, toadchild and jherazob like this.
  15. Belgrim

Belgrim Well-Known Member

My whole steel phalanx are painted with metallic paints. They turned out fine.

Στάλθηκε από το Mi A2 Lite μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation