1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gallery/Tutorials (Nazroth) - Scarhandpainting

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by nazroth, Nov 23, 2017.

1. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

Hey folks!

Another Infinity project finished. This time it's a prize support for Rumble on Route 66. If you ever wanted to see my works live - Rumble is going to be one of the best places to take a peek. Apart from this miniature there should be at least some miniatures, I've painted for USA customers throughout the years, present.

[​IMG]
    GALLERY: HASSASSINS GOVADS

Xeurian, Savnock, Berjiz and 6 others like this.
  2. nazroth

Mayacast Masterclass Q1 is over and I can finally show you my entry (that for whatever reason did not make the cut to the Mayacast folder). This miniature is also a prize support for Infinity at the NOVA Open. Was a lot of fun to paint.Like - seriously, awesome miniature to work with.

I hope you folks like it.

Full gallery here: GALLERY: VALKYRIE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

redeemer, Xeurian, Oni and 5 others like this.
  3. nazroth

Hey folks! I bring new finished projects!

another Operation: Icestorm
    [​IMG]
    GALLERY: OPERATION ICESTORM

Soldiers of Firtune and ald Cosmo for Aristeia!
    [​IMG]
    GALLERY: ARISTEIA! 3.19

Some of my own Yu-Jing reinforcements
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I missed painting Infinity a lot in the last months. Will try to smuggle something in throughout two upcoming months, between parts of a larger not Infinity related commission. Keep your fingers crossed.

In the meantime: I will be open for commissions in about two months so if you're interested in getting something painted, or know a friend who does - please contact me via facebook, or at contact@scarhandpainting.com

Cheers!

redeemer, Tristan228, Xeurian and 8 others like this.
  4. nazroth

Hey folks,
    As some of you probably know I am a huge fan of Infinity the game. I love to paint these miniatures, which can be seen by a vast portfolio of Infinity related projects painted throughout the years. https://scarhandpainting.com/gallery/
    With all the new releases and the recent Infinity Defiance kickstarter I'm super pumped to paint more Infinity in the coming months.

This is why I decided to take a bold step and provide: FREE SHIPPING and a special gift for all eligible commissions till the end of the year!
    If you are a fan of infinity and my work this promotion is totally for you my friend!
    Sounds good? Contact me directly for more detail and let the painting commence!

Preferred contact: PM via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/scarhandpainting
    or e-mail: contact@scarhandpainting.com

Please share this information with friends that might be interested
    Cheers!

[​IMG]

5. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

nazroth always impressive work on mass and just saw your Facebook with tons of content so got me thinking. Can I ask a few questions?:
    How many minis you paint a year?
    Do you work full time doing commissions or part time?
    Do you do much of your own stuff and still have time and energy to do it?

burlesford likes this.
  6. nazroth

Hey,
    Questions are cool. I crave some human interaction :P

How many minis you paint a year?
    That depends on a year :P What I mean by that is projects are varied between single miniatures on scenic dioramas, skirmish groups of about one to two dozen miniatures (Infinity, Malifaux, Blood Bowl etc.) and whole armies (40k, WFB, Confrontation). I am capable of painting huge numbers of miniatures throughout a year (and I mean thousands), but usually it's about 500-1000 pieces. Worth noting that a single piece like this takes up the same amount of time as a set like this.

Do you work full time doing commissions or part time?
    Nowadays full time. It used to be part time, but it changed about four years ago and I've been living the life of a brush for hire ever since.

Do you do much of your own stuff and still have time and energy to do it?
    I think I do. If I feel like painting something of my own, I will squeeze it in - that's for sure. This is usually stuff I want to play with later on, so mainly Infinity Nomad miniatures and scenery pieces. But I also paint some purely for fun projects like Infinity Yu-Jing, which I collect rather than play. Nowadays it is difficult cuz on top of moving to a more remote area I also am a fresh baked father with 8 months old baby girl crawling around the house 24/7. I am exhausted most of the time and this impacts my ability to engage in grand projects like let's say this one. Still the drive to paint is strong. Even now I paint Operation: Kaldstrom Yu-Jing just for fun, because I love all these sculpts and I just want to add them to the collection. To wrap things up - yup, I think it's still good for me :)

I appreciate your engagement. One thing that keeps me pumped and going is engagement with other hobbyists. I love my work, enjoy projects I work on and I am happy to talk about it.

In case of any more question - please do not hesitate to ask ;)

[​IMG]

7. archangeleong

Thanks for the insight into the life of a professional painter! That really is a massive amount of miniatures to paint in a year, wow hats off to you! It’s fantastic you can make a living from painting miniatures and support a family.

I love painting as a hobby and am a fairly prolific painter, painting for hours most evenings, but can only ever finish maybe one to two minis per week, due to working full time and family life. However my painting is all to a high standard due to being for my private collection, which naturally takes longer. Nevertheless it’s hard to imagine doing such a huge output (obviously the level of quality you do impacts the time and quality per project) without getting exhausted. Again I’m really impressed by your work and mental fortitude it must take to go through so many projects and get them back to clients on schedule.

I had thought about turning my hobby into a job, but I just don’t think I’d be able to do it without getting sick of it or being afraid of losing the passion to do my own stuff. Furthermore I’d be afraid of keeping up a sustainable income by painting minis.

If I may ask one last question, if it’s not too rude, but are you able to earn an income comparable to your old job working for a company? If it’s too much of an imposition please ignore this query, I’m just curious that you were able and confident enough to go into painting full time.

burlesford, Xeurian and jherazob like this.
  8. nazroth

I agree it is fantastic. I am living my dream and it is only possible thanks to support from my regular customers. It all revolves around them.

Thanks mate. I won't lie - sometimes it isn't easy, but with enough self motivation and stalwart rules - all is well and on time. Not to brag but I am super solid when it comes to schedules. Finish over 90% of jobs before time, some even months ahead of schedule. Only ever once I was late with a commission and it was agreed upon with the customer beforehand. Proper planning, being aware of own limits, taking unexpected into consideration and working out a habit are all very important. When it comes to providing a solid quality it is also important to pick a right technique and method. For example with Infinity I:

* Write down all color recipes, try not to mix paints too much, so that a customer can send in another batch and it won't stand out from the other.
    * Paint in groups of between 5 and sometimes even 50 miniatures. I paint particular color or part type (face, or backpack) one day for all miniatures. This way work progresses in a steady pace and satisfaction grows over time. I actually wrote some articles about this if you are interested.
    https://scarhandpainting.com/painting-philosophy-part-one-paint-train/

Why not test the waters first? It took me many years before I even got an idea to try this out - then I took small steps, one at a time. First I built a portfolio and found few solid customers, then steadily started to explore a wider customer base. When I was sure I am capable of delivering the product, keep within provided time frame, get enough cash it'll be worth a try and most importantly take joy out of painting all the different, sometimes crazy stuff - only then I decided to go all-in and risk my career to try to fulfill my dream.

It's ok, I do not mind such a question. This is something that makes a lot of hobbyists curious, especially when considering this path. To put things in perspective: I was a manager of six hobby stores for a decade. Nowadays on average I earn twice that much - BUT - important facts are:
    * I live in Poland, where earnings are pretty bad overall while my customer base is located almost entirely to the west.
    * My wife has a good position in a large corporation and her income is solid, whereas mine depends on if I have commissions to work on. This is a good backup for me when sometimes things go bad.
    * As mentioned before - I tested the water, moving slowly and being very cautious for a long time. Only because of some great and supportive people I've met throughout this process I was able to take the leap of faith at the end.

9. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

After quick read and not seeing it explicitly... with batches the time waiting for things to dry (or shaking the hair dryer around) approaches zero. Also less airbrush cleaning (10 models -> save 9 cleanings when changing color). Maybe you are too used to that and it seems obvious, but wasting time in "support" tasks adds to "boring & tiring" meter (even as hobby instead of job). Like unpacking and packing all the tools, paints... grrr...

Edit: typos.

#169 Mob of Blondes, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  10. archangeleong

Thanks nazroth for your insights into the life of a professional painter. Very inspiring and interesting to hear about your experiences, I will definitely take some of your advice on board. Good luck with it all! Hope to see more of your work on the forums (Infinity just make the most aesthetically pleasing models out there to paint so I understand why you like to work on your own more than other brands, I think I'm the same).

burlesford and nazroth like this.
  11. nazroth

Hey folks - I couldn't resist, unboxed and painted Yu-Jing part of Operation: Kaldstrom to add to my collection. Dayum, how cool these miniatures are! Would have been done like five days ago, but I had a rough time with my kid - was barely painting until yesterday. Either way - I hope you like the paint job.

[​IMG]
    OPERATION: KALDSTROM YU-JING <- use link to see more pics

12. nazroth

I rarely post such early WIPs, but wanted to show you the enormity of task that lays before me. This is my next project:
    [​IMG]

redeemer, burlesford, Xeurian and 7 others like this.
  13. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

:frowning:That is alot of metal & models. It looks like you got every single one of the current Yu Jing range there in the picture.

nazroth likes this.
  14. nazroth

XD yeah - looks like this, but that's an illusion. For starters there's no Guijia, which is the king among men when it comes to awesome looks. There's also no new edition Kuang-shi. No new Kunai Ninja, nor Red Veil Bow one. Still - it is almost all of them. Largest Infinity commission in a single wave I got so far. Will probably take up around two months to complete. Very, very excited about this to say the least.

jherazob and Golem2God like this.
  15. archangeleong

Wow. Good luck!

jherazob and nazroth like this.
  16. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

OH MY...hold your ground...he he.

nazroth likes this.
  17. ev0k

ev0k Well-Known Member

Wow !
    Just wow...
    That's about as much Infinity minis i've painted so far... In 6 years !

Good luck, you're gonna need it :p

nazroth likes this.
  18. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Alone the assembly of these would take me a year!

nazroth likes this.
  19. nazroth

Hey folks,
    I dare to say the worst is now behind me. It took a while to this point, as this is a very exhausting and thankless part, but from here on there should be more fun involved :P
    [​IMG]

redeemer, wisefaiz, Xeurian and 6 others like this.
  20. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

massive job m8!!!

nazroth likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation